Triangle Sun Shade Sail - Need Input From Modders - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Dex
Trailer: Casita 17' 2000 Dodge Dakota 3.9L
Georgia
Triangle Sun Shade Sail - Need Input From Modders

Hello all.

I usually hang out at CasitaClub Forums because I have a '17 2006 Casita.

I been reading this forum and I notice there are a lot of people that modify their fiberglass RV. So, I'm looking for a little advise. I travel alone and don't have a lot of stuff to put outside but I would like a little shade. I like things simple and don't want to do a lot of set up.

I can't get this idea out of my mind. I don't want a lot of complicated set up and it all doesn't have to be taught like an awning.

Here is my idea.
The Triangle Sun Shade Sail comes in 11 Feet 5 Inches and 16 feet 5 inches.

http://www.amazon.co...=I1GNRGLN6J0C6H

And use one of these http://www.amazon.co..._hu-rd_add_1_dp

So here is the idea -

Over the Casita door attach one corner with suction cups (any advise as to the brand?)

Use the tent pole to hold up one end straight out or a little forward from the door - use 2 guy wires.

Attach the third point to the ground.

So do you think this is doable?

I'm leaning towards the 11' 5" size but I'm not sure.

Comments? Suggestions?

PS - Other Options

- I was thinking about a second attachment on the Casita - maybe the rear bumber.

- I was also thinking to just attach one end to the handle to the left of the Casita door.

- I was also thinking tht I could get two tent poles and have the triangle pointing to the Casita. But, that would tak more guy wires - something I'd like to avoid.

Any suggestions where to attach to the Casita would be helpful. I don't want to do any drilling.
Dextersp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
I think the weak point is likely going to be the suction cup, if you decide to go that way.

But since you're here, and a solocamper looking for quick shade:
You might consider one of these- it's truly instant up/down, operating as it does like an umbrella.

I have a regular pulldown awning on my trailer, but carry one of these for extra sheltered space. It also goes to the beach with me when I'm at home!
Lightspeed Quickshelter

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #3

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Hi Paul,
Let me tell you about my awning saga...or rather, read about it here.
I, too, did not want to drill any holes in my Scamp, so it was a matter of counteracting all the side-to-side and up-and-down forces of the wind.

The suction cups I used are actually dent pullers. They're the only thing I've found so far that will not pull away with a good wind, but I have to make sure they're mounted on the flat part of the roof and that it's clean of dirt or dust. And then I also have both ends of the awning bungee-corded to front trailer frame and back bumper to prevent the awning from becoming a gigantic sail. I think the shock-corded tent poles that hold the awning itself in tension make it easier for the poles and suction cups to keep the awning up. Each has its own job, rather than the poles and suction cups having to also keep the awning in tension.

I could probably get by with two tent poles (one on each corner), but three seem to make the awning more stable in windy conditions, and it always seems to be windy when I'm camping.

As far as the slanted triangle shape, it doesn't seem to me to have enough shade area or rain protection area, but maybe you don't need a lot.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your project. Keep experimenting and it will work out.

Don't mind the big, smiling guy, just look at the awning. I'm just about 5'2", and with a 3-step stool, can put this awning up in about 10-15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
timrelax.jpg  
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Oh yeah, and if you get those tent poles, spray them with polyurethane before you use them and they won't rust on you when rain drips down inside them. Ask me how I know.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:00 PM   #5

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
Hi Paul,
Let me tell you about my awning saga...or rather, read about it here.
I, too, did not want to drill any holes in my Scamp, so it was a matter of counteracting all the side-to-side and up-and-down forces of the wind.

The suction cups I used are actually dent pullers. They're the only thing I've found so far that will not pull away with a good wind, but I have to make sure they're mounted on the flat part of the roof and that it's clean of dirt or dust. And then I also have both ends of the awning bungee-corded to front trailer frame and back bumper to prevent the awning from becoming a gigantic sail. I think the shock-corded tent poles that hold the awning itself in tension make it easier for the poles and suction cups to keep the awning up. Each has its own job, rather than the poles and suction cups having to also keep the awning in tension.

I could probably get by with two tent poles (one on each corner), but three seem to make the awning more stable in windy conditions, and it always seems to be windy when I'm camping.

As far as the slanted triangle shape, it doesn't seem to me to have enough shade area or rain protection area, but maybe you don't need a lot.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your project. Keep experimenting and it will work out.

Don't mind the big, smiling guy, just look at the awning. I'm just about 5'2", and with a 3-step stool, can put this awning up in about 10-15 minutes.
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'm going to try it. I would like to learn from others' experience.

That is a nice set up. But, not my style. I've had my Casita since 2006 and RV about 4-5 months a year and still have not used the toilet in the Casita. The only mods I've done are the high faucet and insulating the windows to keep warm in cold weather. I spend a lot of time in the Colorado mountains during cold months. I wouldn't use the awning during those times - the wind gusts are just too strong. But, in the summer months the sun is very strong.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 82 Burro
Hi Paul,
I live in Colorado and for the most part I haven't found a lot of reasons to camp elsewhere. You are right about the sun being brutal.

Regarding the sail shade - is there a way to add sides for additional shading or will you have to continually shift the shade around to comply with the angle of the sun? That would be a real PITA.
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I have a small 7x8ft removable awning, easy to put up myself (under 10minutes) and take down without any help. You may be just as satisfied with a small rope/pole awning? Seems like you might spend just as much time getting the triangle shade sale set up. (IMHO)
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #8

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
Hi Paul,
I live in Colorado and for the most part I haven't found a lot of reasons to camp elsewhere. You are right about the sun being brutal.

Regarding the sail shade - is there a way to add sides for additional shading or will you have to continually shift the shade around to comply with the angle of the sun? That would be a real PITA.
I was thinking about that today when I was bike riding.

I was thinking of the side opposite the Casita could be on a pulley system. And the angle of the shade would be steep - it would not be parallel to the ground.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:37 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Whatever you decide, please post photos, because it will likely be the answer for someone else too! Especially any tips and tricks for setting it up
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #10

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Lil is right, re: the pole. In fact, I had similar poles that I used for a short time, then left them home. They were heavy and prone to collect water and rust.

I then ordered some nice aluminum (lightweight) Kelty poles online and they are great. They are adjustable anodized aluminum with three sections bungied together. They were a bit more $, but worth every penny.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #11

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Whatever you decide, please post photos, because it will likely be the answer for someone else too! Especially any tips and tricks for setting it up
I will - it probably won't be until Feb.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #12

Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Lil is right, re: the pole. In fact, I had similar poles that I used for a short time, then left them home. They were heavy and prone to collect water and rust.

I then ordered some nice aluminum (lightweight) Kelty poles online and they are great. They are adjustable anodized aluminum with three sections bungied together. They were a bit more $, but worth every penny.
I'll check those out.

Someone also suggested painter extension poles or telescoping flag pole.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: Bigfoot 1981 Trailer
British Columbia
Check this out from a previous thread

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ing-52227.html
jimmied is offline   Reply With Quote