Trillium 4500 Renovation - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-10-2016, 06:13 PM   #43
Junior Member
 
Name: Cenia
Trailer: Shopping for a boler
British Columbia
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Need help... Does anyone know what Dexter Axle was used in a Trillium 4500.. Mine has some off brand axle and needs replacing.. There's a local dealer that sells Dexter axle's but said he needed to know which one.. I'm pretty sure it takes a 2500lb axle but that's all I know, never changed out the axle before...........I'm going to repost this again in a lead off thread just in case no one looks at this one.........
Randy can u custom build one for myself and my daughter ? Please text 250-300-1619 if u can or if know anyone tha would consider . Thanku so much love your work and looking forward to a reply it's been 2 years looking now and finally saw this sight and maybe this might be it .
Cenia
__________________

__________________
Ladycenia33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Posts: 3,692
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycenia33 View Post
Randy can u custom build one for myself and my daughter ? Please text 250-300-1619 if u can or if know anyone tha would consider . Thanku so much love your work and looking forward to a reply it's been 2 years looking now and finally saw this sight and maybe this might be it .
Cenia
I don't know what Randy may or may not do, but the best way to find out is to send him a private message. Click on his username to the left of any of his posts and a drop down menu will give you the option of a private message.

You might want to consider deleting your public posts. Personal information posted online can be harvested by spammers. The "Edit" button at the bottom of your posts gives you a delete option. It's open for up to 12 hours after you post.
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (3)Trillium 4500,(4)Trillium 1300
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 711
I sent you a PM but just in case someone else might want to see about one of my campers I need to explain some things....
I'm disabled broke my back in 3 places in 2001 in a motorcycle wreck that nearly left me paralyzed and that really laid me up.. I've never been a lazy person and after the wreck I was unable to go back to construction work and ended up on the couch and gained probably 60 lbs.. So I looked for a hobby and this is it.. But with my back problems it is a really slow process working on these, therefore I don't want to be obligated to anyone who might want a camper.. Last January after I bought my shop I figured I could redo several of these and sell them.. Posted my intentions on here and was inundated with e-mails and PM's and I couldn't deliver what I thought I could and that really bothered me because if I say I'm going to do something I'll do it if kills me .. Ended up selling 4 but bought 3 others so now I'm going to take my sweet time and tinker along and just enjoy myself.... Never know might sell one down the road...then again might not.........Hope everyone understands........... Randy





Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycenia33 View Post
Please contact me at 250 300-1619
Interested in a trailer but maybe can u redo the inside of possible the way I would like it with my colors .
Thank you so much
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 02:57 AM   #46
Senior Member
 
Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
I sent you a PM but just in case someone else might want to see about one of my campers I need to explain some things....
I'm disabled broke my back in 3 places in 2001 in a motorcycle wreck that nearly left me paralyzed and that really laid me up.. I've never been a lazy person and after the wreck I was unable to go back to construction work and ended up on the couch and gained probably 60 lbs.. So I looked for a hobby and this is it.. But with my back problems it is a really slow process working on these, therefore I don't want to be obligated to anyone who might want a camper.. Last January after I bought my shop I figured I could redo several of these and sell them.. Posted my intentions on here and was inundated with e-mails and PM's and I couldn't deliver what I thought I could and that really bothered me because if I say I'm going to do something I'll do it if kills me .. Ended up selling 4 but bought 3 others so now I'm going to take my sweet time and tinker along and just enjoy myself.... Never know might sell one down the road...then again might not.........Hope everyone understands........... Randy
Good post Randy, hope you do well. Your work and finished product is great.
__________________
Borrego Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 01:03 PM   #47
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (3)Trillium 4500,(4)Trillium 1300
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 711
After all the work done on the outside to make this thing look like new I really hated to cut holes in it but I "DID"


Bought the access doors off e-bay for $24.00 each, they were black but I re-painted them to match.......
Attached Thumbnails
KIMG0111.jpg   KIMG0114.jpg  

KIMG0115.jpg   KIMG0118.jpg  

__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #48
Junior Member
 
Name: Evelyn
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Alberta
Posts: 9
That's the #1 modification I want to make to my Surfside next year. Did you have to build a wooden frame for the inside so that the hatch has something to screw into?
__________________
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #49
Junior Member
 
Name: Chris
Trailer: Trilium 1300
Washington
Posts: 2
Nice work! I have a 1975 1300 Trillium and the frame is in need of replacing. I was thinking similar to you to extend the new frame and add a storage box on the front. I'd be interested in any frame-specific photos you can share.
__________________
CClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (3)Trillium 4500,(4)Trillium 1300
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 711
No wood.. I try to never use wood if possible... I just pop riveted them in place after putting butyl tape on the edges to seal them in...................




Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
That's the #1 modification I want to make to my Surfside next year. Did you have to build a wooden frame for the inside so that the hatch has something to screw into?
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #51
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (3)Trillium 4500,(4)Trillium 1300
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 711
I didn't have all the equipment to stretch the frame and install the axle so I had my local welder do the work.. He had everything to insure the axle was square with the frame so it wouldn't track sideways down the road and he installed the framing for the toolbox also.. I can send you pictures of the frame and give measurements once I get it back, the stupid people at my local Dexter Axle Dealer was a real pain to work with, after them having the frame for over a month they just quit returning calls and wasn't any help at all.. I figure they are a axle dealer only because they build stock, horse and small trailers and really never wanted to get me a axle.... luckily there was another Dexter Dealer located west of me about 55 miles away and after one phone call they had my axle in the process of getting built said it would be here in about 10 days......



Quote:
Originally Posted by CClark View Post
Nice work! I have a 1975 1300 Trillium and the frame is in need of replacing. I was thinking similar to you to extend the new frame and add a storage box on the front. I'd be interested in any frame-specific photos you can share.
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:10 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
Bought the access doors off e-bay for $24.00 each, they were black but I re-painted them to match.......
I'm part way there on mine Randy. I'm cutting the hatches down to size. I was planning on using the cutout in the hatch door itself.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 PM   #53
Senior Member
 
Name: Randy
Trailer: (3)Trillium 4500,(4)Trillium 1300
Ardmore, Alabama
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I'm part way there on mine Randy. I'm cutting the hatches down to size. I was planning on using the cutout in the hatch door itself.
I was going to do the same thing but the way the doors were made I couldn't do that, but I did save the cut outs for future use... The doors I got had a very thin layer of aluminum on the inside and outside glued to Styrofoam and I couldn't get the outer one off and if I could have removed it the cut out would have been too thick and wouldn't work so I painted them.....
__________________
Randy Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 PM   #54
Senior Member
 
Roy in TO's Avatar
 
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Posts: 4,860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Bishop View Post
The doors I got had a very thin layer of aluminum on the inside and outside glued to Styrofoam and I couldn't get the outer one off and if I could have removed it the cut out would have been too thick and wouldn't work so I painted them.....
Thanks for the heads up Randy. I have not taken the door apart yet, although it does sound like the same construction.

Do you think I'll be able to cut the outer skin off using a thin saw of some type to cut through the Styrofoam? e.g. bow saw or band saw?

The doors I picked up will work nicely for the width, but way too tall. So I'll have some scraps to play with after I cut them down to size.
__________________
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:39 AM   #55
Senior Member
 
Carl V's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quebec
Posts: 326
Registry
I bought a used door (in good shape) to install on my trailer.
(Like many other stuff, I had no time to install it yet).
It is made as you describe, thin aluminium sheet backed with styrofoam filler, except mine has rounded corners.
I drilled a few pop rivets and it all came apart, I took the aluminium sheet and foam off, and I plan the use the cutout as the door.
The door is about 36" wide X 12" tall or so if I remember right, perfect size for me. It had two tiny and flimsy latches at the bottom, I bought a T handle lock to replace them and will fabricate a locking system with bars, garage door style.

To cut the opening I guess my oscillating multi-tool should work fine, however a jigsaw should work too and will be necessary for the rounded corners.
Couple years ago we cut a square hole on the side of my father's motorhome (a vintage Dodge Travco, a molded fiberglass RV too) and we used a 4" grinder with a cutting disk and it was easy (and the FG shell was thicker than on our trailers, maybe 3/8").

They say "measure twice, cut once", but in this case I would say "measure about ten times, think about it again, measure once more, take a deep breath, then cut" !!
__________________
Carl V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
Posts: 813
Make templates, it is another way of measuring
__________________

__________________
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
trillium


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trillium Renovation Randy Bishop Modifications, Alterations and Updates 48 07-20-2015 11:18 AM
Trillium Renovation Randy Bishop Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 1 07-20-2015 10:55 AM
AB (Canada) - Trillium 4500 - 1978 - $4500 David Tilston Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers 16 04-22-2013 02:07 PM
Trillium 1300 Renovation Randy Bishop Modifications, Alterations and Updates 88 05-29-2012 03:50 PM
1979 Trillium 4500 for sale -- C$5200 or US$4500 - SOLD jenniferm Classified Archives 8 07-14-2009 02:38 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.