Trillium 4500 replacement converter? - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #61

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
I have a Trillium 5500, and I run it on a 15 amp AC input, to my distribution panel, then I feed a PD 9245 converter. this has served me well for the past 3 years, and I see no need to upsize any further
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #62

Name: Brandon
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Alberta
What type of distribution panels are you guys using? I can't seem to find a plastic breaker box or anything of the sort, i can find separate DC fuse blocks, isn't there small separate units? i only plan to have a 15 amp main coming in as well, but the smallest distro panel i can find is this one: PD5000 30 Amp AC/DC Power Control Panel which seems to be built for a 30 amp main, and is way overkill for what i need. I imagine i'll have a breaker for the main coming in, and then 1 or 2 15 amp ac circuits in the trailer. and a few DC circuits for the lights and possibly a car stereo.

Is there a distro panel that small on the market that you guys have seen? if not, any idea where i can get just a separate little breaker panel for the three AC breakers?

Thanks!
BrandonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #63

Brandon, I re-used the old distribution panel from my Trillium, I just removed the old converter section and replaced it with the new PD9245. Do a search locally- kijiji for rv converters, you'll find something

Joe
Old 02-09-2013, 05:21 PM   #64

Alberta
Hey Joe, i'd considered that. I'd prefer some new switch style AC breakers and 12vdc fuses though. I'd really like to find a small version of this: PD5000 Series Combination AC/DC Power Control Center and if i cannot, i'll end up just getting a very basic 12vdc fuse block, and a separate case or something (can't find yet) to hold the ac breakers.

I'd like to just hide this under a rear seat, and then use the original converter location for something else that needs to be on the face of the cabinet (ie car stereo, etc.)

anyone seen anything like a smaller pd5000?
Old 02-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #65

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonC View Post

Is there a distro panel that small on the market that you guys have seen? if not, any idea where i can get just a separate little breaker panel for the three AC breakers?

Thanks!
My UHaul just uses a standard double outlet box for the AC side. There is a GFCI outlet on one side and a push button breaker on the other side. It would be easy to make from standard electrical parts.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:27 PM   #66

try one of the local scrapyards, someone has to have some dead RV's My old converter was a PD7200 series, I kept the front, added the new converter and have been happy so far. A new system like the : Inteli-Power® 4000 Series Fro PD might be what you need.

Joe

Old 02-10-2013, 02:29 AM   #67

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I have a spare breaker box that came with the Trillium furnace that I bought. Since I paied nothing for it, it is yours for the taking. It has knockouts for 5 breakers, but only space inside for three. I am in Calgary, PM me if you want to come pick it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Breaker Box Front.jpg   Breaker Box Inside.jpg  

Breaker Box Side.jpg   Breaker Box Back.jpg  

David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #68

Alberta
That looks great, i sent you a PM David, thanks!
Old 07-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #69

Name: Allan
Trailer: 78 trilium 4500 + 73 bolier 1300 2090 scotty 15.6 ft. 2090 scotty 15.6 ft
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
I meant to update this thread earlier.

As I posted earlier I don't think the Progressive Dynamics 4000 series would have fit in the old space, and I really didn't want to put it anywhere else. The 4000's want more than 8 inches of height (on the front at least). That's just too tall for that spot.

I ended-up buying a PD4645. The 4600 series are upgrade kits for a specific set of older converter chargers. Being an upgrade kit, it splits the converter/charger into two separate pieces that end up connected together inside whatever converter/charger is being upgraded (it replaces the guts of these older converter chargers). Obviously I wasn't upgrading anything, so it seemed wrong, but looking at the measurements on the Progressive Dynamics web site, it looked like the main part of the upgrade kit would fit in that space below the furnace and then I could fit the other piece of the upgrade behind it where I could get to it from the access door on the side... so I went for it.

It worked perfectly. I had to slightly enlarge the hole where the old converter was in order to slide in the new converter. The depth was exact - the back wall of the converter sits against the wheel well. The front sticks out from the wall an eighth to a quarter inch, but it appears, from where the mounting holes are located on the front, that it was meant to do that. I covered the front with a baseboard vent. The vent has some depth to cover the sticking-out converter. Home Depot had the vent. It looks great - like it was meant to be.

That was only part of the install, though. The other piece of the upgrade kit is a circuit board for the 12V connections and fuses and for the battery connection. I mounted that board to a piece of wood which I then stuck to the wheel well behind the converter with epoxy. This way, I have access to the circuit board from the door on the side, beneath the closet (the one right at the trailer entrance). You need that access to make your connections, replace fuses and to see the charge status light. There's a green LED on the circuit board that lets you know what it's doing to your battery (it blinks slow or fast or not at all, depending on the charge status).

I'm super-happy with how the installation turned-out and it works really well.
THANKS I AM ORDERING THIS SAME UNIT To put in my new but old 1977 4500 trillium , As I just sold my 73 Boler after a complete renewal It looked like a NEW UNIT You may see it around some day it is called OUR MINI PREVOEST # 1 Thanks again fer the info Allan Kay Member
Allan Kay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium