trillium bunk bed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #1

Name: neil
Trailer: trillium
Alabama
trillium bunk bed

I'm rigging up a bunk bed in the front of our trillium. the back of the front bench is fastened to a wood strip on the wall with a piano hinge. the wood strip is fastened to the trailer wall. that seems typical from what I've seen but I'm wondering what the wood strip is screwed into under the front window. It's thicker than the fibreglass wall around the window frame. Is that aluminum or something else. just wondering if I need to be worried about the screws coming off the wall.

-neil
nosnhojn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

Name: Cassie
Trailer: 1979 Trillium
British Columbia
Neil,

I am following this thread as I too have a front bunk on my to-do list. From what I have heard the part the piano hinge is screwed into is wood as I have heard people mention you should make sure it is not rotten and in good condition prior to screwing into it by pulling back the ensolite to check its condition.

I haven't ever done this and I am waiting to hear what those experienced in this have to say.
Cassie Trill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

Name: Jenn
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie Trill View Post
Neil,

I am following this thread as I too have a front bunk on my to-do list. From what I have heard the part the piano hinge is screwed into is wood as I have heard people mention you should make sure it is not rotten and in good condition prior to screwing into it by pulling back the ensolite to check its condition.

I haven't ever done this and I am waiting to hear what those experienced in this have to say.
I believe it's wood too. I am wondering the strength of the hinge and how u can make the bunk bed more secure to take more weight?
Jcampagnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 01:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
It is wood. It is the same wood the window screws into from the outside.
Check some the Trillium window threads and you should see pictures.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #5

Name: Jenn
Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
Bunk bed use

Does anyone use their bunk beds in their trillium. I am worried it will give out. Any ideas on how to reinforce it or what the weight capacity is. Thanks jenn
Jcampagnolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 04:58 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcampagnolo View Post
I believe it's wood too. I am wondering the strength of the hinge and how u can make the bunk bed more secure to take more weight?
Jenn, I know it seems to be a huge NO NO, drilling extra holes. But if I was going to make a bunk strong, I would be using SS bolts and heavy duty hinges through the shell. IMHO, I see no reason to have bunks and not be able to sleep an adult if needed. YMMV
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium