Trillium door hinges - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #1

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Trillium door hinges

Hi everyone,
We're due to leave on June 10, and yesterday our door hinge rips out of the fiberglass. We fortunately know someone who has already begun the repairs, but today discovered that new hinges are needed as well. The fellow at TrilliumRV.com (in AZ) has the parts for $95 per pair, and will overnight them to us for $25, once he gets our check .
I've read previous threads on this same subject, and people talk about getting the hinges from the Trillium Outback people in Calgary. Has anyone had experience dealing with this fellow in AZ? Aside from the extremely tight time frame we have, a couple things worry me: he seems quite abrupt on the phone, he doesn't take a credit card, he'll be in 2 days next week and then away again, and there is no one other than him who can overnight the parts to us. Apparently he is a one-man operation?
Thanks for responding if you've had any dealings with this guy, good or bad. Appreciate it!
Gail
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #2

Name: chris
Trailer: 1976 13' trillium
British Columbia
I've dealt with Tom a few times. I got all my decals, new bargman door lock, T-molding for the entire trailer, spare tire cover, mudflaps. Yes, it is not easy to get the parts fast, and the payment method is kind of inefficient, but you have to keep in mind that he is a one man show and he is in the business of making trailers and not selling one part here and one part there. If you are in a 24 hr rush I wouldn't expect that timeline to be met. I am simply thankful that there is someone around with brand new parts for my 36 year old trailer so I haven't been to worried about speedy customer service. I'm waiting on an order for wrap around upper shelves for both front and back. Hopefully they will be here sometime this summer. I too am thinking of ordering a set of hinges and having them around so I don't run into your trouble. Good luck.

Chris
chris loewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's the offset that's the problem with the Trillium hinge. WHAT IS IT? Maybe I have a link that would help.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
McMaster Carr, see the Load-Rated Strap Hinges near the bottom. Triple-check the offset: McMaster-Carr

and 139 Series Hinge 139 Series Hinge Specifications 139 Sales there again, triple check the offset.

Maybe one of these businesses can get you what you need faster than TrilliumRV ??

Best of luck
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 08:50 PM   #5

North Carolina
Registry
Thanks for the replies. How do you measure the offset? On the door side of the hinge or the trailer side? Not sure.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The offset is the difference between the trailer side and door side. I seem to remember it being 3/8". That offset is Kason part # 139-000016. The hinge is usually used on commercial bar fridges.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I wonder why coldsupply.com doesen't list the 3/8" offset? With 16000 Trilliums out there, they must get asked.
I actually went out and measured it just now. As close as I can measure, it is 3/8".
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The 3/8" offset is even difficult to find on the Kason site. Yet it does exist. Listed on the 2nd page here as part # 139000016
: http://www.americandoorsupply.com/pd...ors%202011.pdf
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I bought a trailer from Trillium Rv. nuff said.

I posted this a while back.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...red-49552.html

Looks like they still have them (ships in 3 days) but you have to enter the part number 1276A52 in the FIND blank to see them. They take a credit card and are very reasonable on shipping. I would expect the total cost to be about the same.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Good luck. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #10

North Carolina
Registry
Guess you have to measure with the door ON the trailer, eh? Ours has already been removed. On the frame side I measured from the center of the hinge-pin hole to the base plate and think I got 3/8". However, when I measure the shield-shaped raised area on the door (where the plate screws into), I get more like 5 or 6/8". Which is it? I'm confused!!! What else is new???
Old 05-30-2013, 09:25 AM   #11

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail H View Post
I've read previous threads on this same subject, and people talk about getting the hinges from the Trillium Outback people in Calgary.
Gail, if you dont get satisfaction from AZ I think you will find the folks at Trillium Outback in Calgary to be VERY helpful. They will have most of the parts folks need for the older trailers, as they actually build their own trailers at their facility & have done so for a number of years. The party in AZ used to be a partner with them until they had a biz falling out and he started the operation up down south. People report the folks in Calgary have been very helpful in making suggestions on alternative products to use if the original part for their old trillium is no longer available or making suggestions on how to correctly repair on old trillium with issues.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
I ordered hinges from Trillium in Calgary. It took more than 12 weeks and several phone calls to finally get the parts delivered. They evidently lost the first order and then had them back ordered and ultimately sent them. They were also +$100.00

They do, however take a credit card!

Spanke
Old 05-30-2013, 09:46 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanke View Post
I ordered hinges from Trillium in Calgary. It took more than 12 weeks and several phone calls to finally get the parts delivered. They evidently lost the first order and then had them back ordered and ultimately sent them. They were also +$100.00

They do, however take a credit card!

Spanke
well there you go! Apparently both south and north have their issues!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
Raz

Quote:
Guess you have to measure with the door ON the trailer, eh? Ours has already been removed. On the frame side I measured from the center of the hinge-pin hole to the base plate and think I got 3/8". However, when I measure the shield-shaped raised area on the door (where the plate screws into), I get more like 5 or 6/8". Which is it? I'm confused!!! What else is new???
3/8" offset. The one I referenced at McMaster Carr is the one you want. Promise. Raz
Old 06-02-2013, 02:48 PM   #15

North Carolina
Registry
Y'all have been soooo helpful! I decided to go with the AZ Trillium guy, who says he will be there tomorrow and will overnight them to us. (provided he gets my check, which I express mailed and he should have had it yesterday!) I'm paying $95 plus $25 for overnight shipping. Trillium Outback in Calgary would charge $157 plus $30-$45 for "expedited shipping", which he said is 2-3 days. I maybe could have gotten them 1 day earlier but would have spent possibly $80 more. I called McMaster Carr and they had NONE with a 3/8" offset in any of their 5 warehouses.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'm so happy I found this website. On several occasions, y'all have saved us from reinventing the wheel. Campers are CLEVER people!
Gail
Old 06-02-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
Raz

Quote:
Y'all have been soooo helpful! I decided to go with the AZ Trillium guy, who says he will be there tomorrow and will overnight them to us. (provided he gets my check, which I express mailed and he should have had it yesterday!) I'm paying $95 plus $25 for overnight shipping. Trillium Outback in Calgary would charge $157 plus $30-$45 for "expedited shipping", which he said is 2-3 days. I maybe could have gotten them 1 day earlier but would have spent possibly $80 more. I called McMaster Carr and they had NONE with a 3/8" offset in any of their 5 warehouses.
Thanks to everyone who chimed in. I'm so happy I found this website. On several occasions, y'all have saved us from reinventing the wheel. Campers are CLEVER people!
Gail
We're rooting for you. Raz
Old 06-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #17

North Carolina
Registry
Chaos prevailed as we got our door fixed and ready to take off, so didn't have time to finish this saga. Tom (TrilliumRV.com) followed through, as promised and overnighted hinges to us. One hinge pin was upside down, echoing what someone else reported. Managed to get that changed, and the fiberglass holes repaired and whole thing reassembled in time. Can't report on all materials used since someone else did the repairs for us. Thanks to everyone for all info!
Right now, sitting in a delightful site in Cherry Creek SP (Denver, CO). Great SP!!!
Happy Trails!
Gail
Old 07-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #18
Commercial Member

Name: Outback
Trailer: Outback trillium trailer
Alberta
Hi there, we are the company in Calgary and we ship these hinges all over North America. You can call us anytime as our hours are Monday-Saturday 9 a.m. -6 p.m. We have someone answering our phones all day as well. We would be happy to help you on any future needs. 403 398-8732
ttm@moderndigital.net
thank you,
Joe
Joe at Outback is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium