Trillium Interior Reno - Kichen / Dinette Mock up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Trillium Interior Reno - Kichen / Dinette Mock up

Now that the o/head cabinet is done it's time to get into the kitchen and dinette area.

The original kitchen, as with everything else except the benches in the rear dinette, had been gutted out of the Trillium and so I had Carte Blanche as far as the new kitchen. I originally had the idea to raise the level of the countertop to come up to the underside of the window that sits above. This brought it up to 38" above finished floor. When I mocked this up and got my wife to try it the idea was very soon nixed - felt too high and looked really wrong.

I got a good buy on a 2 compartment white sink at Meridian RV in Port Coquitlam. This a few days after picking up a single compartment SS sink at Lowe's just below the line in Bellingham. My wife gladly volunteered to return the SS one ato Lowe's as it is very close to a Ross store !!!!

I made ip a dummy countertop out of 3/4" mdf and propped it in place where the finished unit would be. This allowed me to cut the sink in and play around with it a bit to optimise it's location.

I wanted to install a 6" wide shelf as continuation of the kitchen countertop over to the front wall of the Trillium. This shelf would on the back of the seat in the dinette. I soon realised that I couldn't finalise this shelf without also mocking up the seat back and thus the seat and thereon the other seat and table.

I initially used a folding table and small workbench to get a feel for the dinette layout. The dinette seat that is just inside the trailer door, I configured so that the Porta Potti will be behind a door in the front of this bench and just slide in and out on an angle.

The other seat bench will have the relocated power converter built into it and, hopefully, an inverter and other electrical gear. This should be easily accessible by the removal of the seat base and cushion for future maintenance or expansion.
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #2

British Columbia
The photos that I thought that I had attached to the above post aren't showing so I'll try again here.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0898.jpg   DSCN0903.jpg  

DSCN0907.jpg   DSCN0911.jpg  

DSCN0915.jpg  
Old 03-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #3

British Columbia
Here's a few more
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0916.jpg   DSCN0928.jpg  

IMG_0490.jpg   IMG_0491.jpg  

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #4

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
You have your work cut out for you but looks like it's going well. Keep us updated on your progress.
Reid
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
You have your work cut out for you but looks like it's going well. Keep us updated on your progress.
Reid
True story! Cool beans... we get to follow along on a picture documented rebuild!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #6

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Looks nice! I was going to go with a double sink, even bought it, but recently changed my mind. I now purchased a 16" round sink to put in my semi round counter-top.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:49 AM   #7

British Columbia
Now that I have finalized the shape and configuration of the seats for the dinette, after many many 'Sit upons' by both Wendy and I, I can cut the foam and Wendy can get started on the upholstery.

We have good foam left over from the two bunks that the dinette replaced but won't be reusing the covers as the fabric just doesn't fit with the Trillium interior now. It's a pity really as it looked as if they had very recently been recovered very professionally with heavy fabric, vinyl on the undersides and good zippers to allow removal. So if anyone is interested in covers only for the front couch / bunks from a Trillium Jubilee ........ I have them! A dark red floral fabric, I can take photos!
Attached Thumbnails
Dinette Seats #1 .jpg   Dinette Seats #2 .jpg  

Old 03-16-2013, 12:56 AM   #8

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Do you have an estimate of the weight of the wood that will be required for the interior?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #9

British Columbia
Here's the table in place in the dinette. I found this very suitable laminate in 2' x 4' pieces at my local Windsor plywood for $5.99 a piece and 3 pcs did the galley countertop, dinette table and cabinet top. Wendy loved it and It was a great savings over having to buy a full sheet at $50 plus.

I'm trying to make the area under the front window a bit of a feature and have got this piece of maple ply, with the sides sloping up to the window, just propped in place to try and come up with an idea. I think that I am going to stain it the Sangria colour that I used on the Fridge/Microwave cabinet along with the sliding doors on the cabinet below as well as the panel that will cover vertical plywood strips below that.

I'll probably install some kind of a shelf on the plywood with the sloped sides but I'm a bit stuck on thinking of something functional but eyecatching ...... any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails
Trilium - Table in place.jpg   Trillium - Dinette detail .jpg  

Trillium - Dinette cabinet : shelf.jpg  
Old 03-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #10

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Do you have an estimate of the weight of the wood that will be required for the interior?
When I partially gutted the trailer I actually weighed the gables that I took out of the kitchen cabinet as I was curious as to how they compared to the 3/4" birch ply that I would be using to replace them. The originals were made up of a 3/4" thick spruce frame with a 1/8" ply skin on each face and I think came in at about 3.6 lbs / sq ft. and the birch ply was slightly less.

I haven't tried to estimate the whole lot before hand as I am designing on the fly. I do have more finishing materials in there than there was before but I have eliminated quite a bit of weight with removing a heavy, ceramic tiled galley countertop, furnace, dinette table made of particle board with a ply skin on each face and several layers of flooring
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by peatle View Post
I'm trying to make the area under the front window a bit of a feature and have got this piece of maple ply, with the sides sloping up to the window, just propped in place to try and come up with an idea. I think that I am going to stain it the Sangria colour that I used on the Fridge/Microwave cabinet along with the sliding doors on the cabinet below as well as the panel that will cover vertical plywood strips below that.

I'll probably install some kind of a shelf on the plywood with the sloped sides but I'm a bit stuck on thinking of something functional but eyecatching ...... any ideas.
I would be inclined to make the ply the width of the window and drop down to just below the top of your table top; following the moulding feature that's there, seen in pic 3.

Nice work BTW.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 12:15 PM   #12

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
I would be inclined to make the ply the width of the window and drop down to just below the top of your table top; following the moulding feature that's there, seen in pic 3.

Nice work BTW.
Thanks for the input Clive.

I did mock up the ply panel at the full width of the window. When I considered though, that I was going to stain it darker to add a little colour to the fairly neutral tones of the new interior I think it would have been a bit too massive.

The slopes on this ply, which fairly closely echo the 45º corners on the table and cabinet top, give it a little more interest I think. Now I just have to put something on the face of it that is, hopefully, of a little interest whilst still serving some function ( like a shelf )
Old 03-22-2013, 07:03 AM   #13

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Smile

Peter, this is the most well thought out design I have seen... In reference to the front kitchen side seat, and the table. You have resolved problem areas that show up with a simple front dinnette conversion. The seats end up being too deep and you resolved this with extended counter and storage area behind the kit side seat.
The drop down table is amazing! Functional and pleasing design! Great job!!!
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #14

British Columbia
I very much appreciate your positive comments Diane ....... I get a bit obsessed about maximizing the usability of the area and volume available in a reno. Up until now this has applied to the houses that we have lived in and renovated and I guess this has carried over into this project on the first RV that we have owned.

I am going to attach a few pics of some of the construction details involved in building the countertop / table / shelf in case they might be of interest to anyone thinking of doing the same.

I joined the narrow ' seat back shelf' to the 24" wide counter with some biscuits and filled in the corner with a small piece of ply. I then ripped the 1 1/8" high Maple edging out of 3/4" thick stock.

The Maple gets glued to the edge of the 3/4" birch ply with a little extra wide block at the inside corner to allow for cutting into it to make the inside radius. The inside and outside corner radius ( radiuses, radiae ??? ) are marked with anything that is available to give a suitable curve, in this case the white plastic bucket seen. They are then rough cut fairly close to the marked line with the jig saw.

The curves are finished up with the belt and palm sanders. It's very important at this stage to make sure that these curves are as smooth and flowing as possible as they form the guide for the pilot bearing on the router bit. It follows the shape of the edging and trims the laminate on the counter to exactly the same contour. If there are any bumps or flats on the face of the edging then these will appear on the edge of the laminate too.

When the edging is finished then the laminate is glued on to the top of plywood with contact cement leaving just a small amount hanging over the edge. This doesn't have to be a certain amount as the excess will be trimmed off with the router bit.

I first use a bit with a straight cutter, this trims the laminate exactly flush with the edging. Then I use a bit that will round over the top outside corner of the edging and also trim the edge of the laminate at the same time. This creates a nosing on the wood edging with just a tiny little step on top that is the thickness of the edging.

I'll add some pics of the table and its bearing shelf build in another post a little later.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0942.jpg   DSCN0944.jpg  

DSCN0947.jpg   DSCN0948.jpg  

DSCN0951.jpg   DSCN0952.jpg  

DSCN0953.jpg   DSCN0956.jpg  

Old 03-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #15

British Columbia
A few more pics ........
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0957.jpg   DSCN0959.jpg  

DSCN0961.jpg   DSCN0963.jpg  

DSCN0964.jpg   DSCN0965.jpg  

DSCN0967.jpg   DSCN0968.jpg  

Old 03-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #16

Amazing, absolutely amazing. I love the idea of using a "bucket" to get the shape you're looking for

GREAT... Thanks for the documentation!
Old 04-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #17

British Columbia
A few update pics on progress of the Kitchen " front dinette reno.

The kitchen cabinet is 95% done and likewise with the dinette. The doors on the kitchen cabinet are 1/2" Ultralite MDF faced with the same 1/8" maple ply, stained 'honeydew' as used elsewhere. This made the doors as light as possible but, at only 5/8" thick, care has to be taken when boring the 35mm holes for the euro hinges. I am very pleased with this finish as it is a nice light and airy look whilst retaining some imuted graining to give a little bit of character to the door and drawer faces.

I stole the room to squeeze in the plastic trays on the flop down dummy drawer front in front of the sink by by nudging the sink back a little extra. These trays help get rid of a lot of clutter around the sink as it is so easy to drop in soap, dishcloth, brillo pad and they have two little plastic hooks in them for the girls to hang their rings on while at the sink. One of the trays will do for 'sink stuff' and the other can be used for our toothpaste, brushes floss etc.

Instead of building a full drawer bank to the right of the sink cabinet I just made one slide out shelf out of 1/4" ply, with a drawer front on it, at the top. This will just get a plastic cutlery tray screwed on to it that has been cut to fit.

Below that there is another door behind which are two more slide out shelves with Sterilite light plastic bins screwed on plus a larger bin sitting on the bottom shelf. These 1/4" shelves simply run in a pice of 3/8" Aluminum Channel on the left side and a rebated wood strip on the right that's wide enough to keep the edge of the shelf from catching the inside corner of the door which always projects into the opening a little when using the Euro hinges. I use Euro hinges whenever possible because of their three way adjustability for evening up the gaps between doors and draw fronts plus the 'clip top' type allow the door to be removed and replaced in a matter of seconds. This is really great when wanting to do some work in the confined space inside these small cabinets.

I made the shelf in the bottom of the cabinet removable so that I could run the wiring from the converter, which will be mounted under the dinette seat that is adjacent to the kitchen cabinet , through this cabinet and through a channel. This channel goes across the floor in front of the bed area and over to the cabinet opposite the kitchen that has the fridge, microwave and TV built into it.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1030.jpg   DSCN1032.jpg  

DSCN1033.jpg   DSCN1034.jpg  

DSCN1035.jpg   DSCN1036.jpg  

DSCN1038.jpg   DSCN1040.jpg  

DSCN1042.jpg   DSCN1043.jpg  

Old 04-07-2013, 05:49 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Wow! Very nice work! Are you a carpenter?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #19

Oh man! This is looking really, really nice
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #20

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Oh Peter this is amazing! Will you come to Virginia and do my kitchen? Can there be such a thing as "too nice for camping" ?
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium