Trillium Interior Reno - O/head cabinet sliding doors - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2013, 01:32 AM   #1

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Trillium Interior Reno - O/head cabinet sliding doors

After rebuilding the microwave/fridge cabinet and the rear upper storage shelves in the Trillium, the next project was to try and expand the usability of the horizontal cabinet over the kitchen.

This cabinet had a good sized vertical cabinet on the end towards the back of the trailer but the horizontal part had two pitiful little doors ( approx 6"h x 16"w) with two face frame hinges crammed together on the vertical 6" edge. This arrangement just looked WRONG !!! ..... see the before photo.

The size and placement of these doors allowed for two openings through which to access the items in this cabinet that were probably 50% of the area of the cabinet face, not good for seeing into or getting at what was inside.

I decided to replace both cabinets and put 3 sliding doors on the horizontal one. This would give larger openings and allow for easier access to the contents.

One of the attached photos shows the finished cabinet with sliding doors in place and another one shows the new cabinet front sitting atop the old one to show the difference in the door openings.

I can't see if there is any way of making these posts more explanatory by being able to type in some info and then show the actual photo that I am referring to. When I attach a photo I don't see it in the post. I'll carry on this way and hope that it's not too confusing.

I used 1/4" maple veneer ply for the doors and gave them a light stain of Minwax water based stain 'Honeydew' to just take away a little of the 'whiteness' of the maple veneer, I really like this Minwax family of stains and the reddish coloured one that I used on the microwave cabinet that I posted on is another one in this group called 'Sangria'.

You'll see on the doors that instead of the cup type finger pull that is common on sliding doors I have just pressed on a 3/4" diam. vinyl bumper which I much prefer and have used before. This is such a simple 'pull' as it just sticks on, no holes needed and with being opaque it is much more unobtrusive than the finger pulls.

The colours of the cabinetry, doors etc. are deliberately fairly muted in order not to be overpowering in the small interior of the trailer so I thought it might be nice to add a little sparkle somewhere so I attached a 3/4" x 3/4" polished aluminum angle under the front edge of the both cabinets. These angles also helped to conceal the light that is under both the horizontal and the vertical cabinet. The plain polished angle was very glaring and 'tarted' it up a bit too much so I applied the swirl effect to the vertical faces with a wire cup in my drill press and this muted the effect agreeably.

I've got a few photos of some of the construction details of the cabinet which I'll post in this thread also.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4604.jpg   DSCN0870.jpg  

DSCN0837.jpg   DSCN0872.jpg  

DSCN0871.jpg  
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
nice work...
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
DITTO to Jim's comment.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I looks great. I like your choices.

I wish I could find an inexpensive Trillium to renovate.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:22 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Beautiful!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #6

Name: Reid
Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500
Oregon
Registry
Nice job. Gotta make access much better. Keep up the good work.
Reid
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I looks great. I like your choices.

I wish I could find an inexpensive Trillium to renovate.
We paid more than we should have at $6,000 last fall but I liked the extra 2'-0 over the Bolers that we were looking. The 54" bed and extra length made it roomy enough to put in a front dinette and leave the bed made up full time.

I particularly like the good size Jalousie window behind the kitchen in the Jubilee, makes it feel light and airy when working at the sink etc.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:49 PM   #8

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Nice treatment overhead aft and in the galley!

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #9

British Columbia
A few details re the configuration of the sliding door cabinet shown earlier in this thread.

The sliding doors are 1/4" maple veneer ply.

The tracks for the doors are made out of some 1x2 and 1x3 finger joint maple that I had on hand. The lower track is 2 1/2" wide and projects inside the cabinet face so that the cabinet bottom can rest on it. This track has a dado in it that is only about 1/8" deep, the cabinet face (with the 3 openings in) sits in this dado. This straightened the cabinet face out as it curved a little in it's length after cutting the openings in it.

The grooves in the tracks for the doors were simply cut on the table saw, widening the groove with successive passes until the 1/4" ply door sat in it nice and snug but loose enough to slide.

The grooves in the upper track have to be deep enough so that the ply door can be pushed up into it whilst the bottom edge of the door just clears the top of the bottom track. The door then drops into the bottom groove but won't fall forward out of the top one. The depth of grooves in this case were 7/16" Top track and 3/16" bottom.

The bottom track was screwed up into the cabinet face through the dado. An mdf spacer was laid against the top of the bottom track to ensure that the top track maintained an even spacing from the bottom one in order that the doors didn't bind at a narrow point. The top track was then screwed onto the cabinet face from the back.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0840.jpg   DSCN0842.jpg  

DSCN0843.jpg   DSCN0848.jpg  

DSCN0849.jpg   IMG_0468.jpg  

IMG_0472.jpg   IMG_0473.jpg  

Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #10

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Great explanation and the pictures bring it to life! I'm going to have to do some work on overhead cabinets and this is definitely being bookmarked!
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Nice work there!
I too have thought these sliding doors might be a good idea in a trailer, but wasn't quite sure I could bring it off. Your photos and explanation is a big help.
I just might try it.
Thanks,
Fran
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 AM   #12

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Dude! you are an artist!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:29 AM   #13

Name: Paul
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee '79
Newfoundland
About to start rebuild of kitchen cabinet over the sink...

Peatle

Would you have any info /pics on your kitchen cabinet repair that you could share? Replacing the kitchen cabinet over the sink due to dry rot.

Any issues taking your cabinets out? Reinstalling? Did you have to add any new structural supports to receive the cabinet? What about brackets and securing?

Also, have you replaced your countertop? If so, any info on that process would be greatly appreciated, particularlybtips to dismantle/ remove and reinstall.

Nice job on your cabinets.
Terranovafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #14

British Columbia
Cabinets

Paul ... I have seen this enquiry and will reply in some more detail at some point. Sorry but time is at a bit of a premium right now but I'll do my best to get you some info.

Tags
trillium