After rebuilding the microwave/fridge cabinet and the rear upper storage shelves in the Trillium
, the next project was to try and expand the usability of the horizontal cabinet over the kitchen.
This cabinet had a good sized vertical cabinet on the end towards the back of the trailer but the horizontal part had two pitiful little doors ( approx 6"h x 16"w) with two face frame hinges crammed together on the vertical 6" edge. This arrangement just looked WRONG !!! ..... see the before photo.
The size and placement of these doors allowed for two openings through which to access the items in this cabinet that were probably 50% of the area of the cabinet face, not good for seeing into or getting at what was inside.
I decided to replace both cabinets and put 3 sliding doors on the horizontal one. This would give larger openings and allow for easier access to the contents.
One of the attached photos shows the finished cabinet with sliding doors in place and another one shows the new cabinet front sitting atop the old one to show the difference in the door openings.
I can't see if there is any way of making these posts more explanatory by being able to type in some info and then show the actual photo that I am referring to. When I attach a photo I don't see it in the post. I'll carry on this way and hope that it's not too confusing.
I used 1/4" maple veneer ply for the doors and gave them a light
stain of Minwax water based stain 'Honeydew' to just take away a little of the 'whiteness' of the maple veneer, I really like this Minwax family of stains and the reddish coloured one that I used on the microwave
cabinet that I posted on is another one in this group called 'Sangria'.
You'll see on the doors that instead of the cup type finger pull that is common on sliding doors I have just pressed on a 3/4" diam. vinyl bumper which I much prefer and have used before. This is such a simple 'pull' as it just sticks on, no holes needed and with being opaque it is much more unobtrusive than the finger pulls.
The colours of the cabinetry, doors etc. are deliberately fairly muted in order not to be overpowering in the small interior of the trailer so I thought it might be nice to add a little sparkle somewhere so I attached a 3/4" x 3/4" polished aluminum angle under the front edge of the both cabinets. These angles also helped to conceal the light
that is under both the horizontal and the vertical cabinet. The plain polished angle was very glaring and 'tarted' it up a bit too much so I applied the swirl effect to the vertical faces with a wire cup in my drill press and this muted the effect agreeably.
I've got a few photos of some of the construction details of the cabinet which I'll post in this thread also.