Trillium Jubilee Questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #1

Name: Marrisa
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 79?
Alberta
Red face Trillium Jubilee Questions

Hey Guys!
I am totally new to owning a little Fibreglass Camper. I am going to Reno my little lady but have a few questions. First off on the Inside there is this foamy Insulation and it seems all mouldy and what not so I want to rip it out. what do you think I should use to insulate the trailer that is not crazy expensive? Keep in mind there are lots of bumps and lumps on the walls. Also question do I have to put on anything to insulate it or could i just prime and paint the fibreglass. I am only going to use the camper during the summer.

Thanks In Advance
Marrisa
Marrisa09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I am finding TONS of hits by searching for wall coverings (use the Google site search, which is at the bottom of the Search drop down menu). I haven't found the one I'm looking for, which is be careful about ripping out the old ensolite - it's a huge job to replace and some people have been able to clean it up very well, using ...???... (not sure which product).
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:52 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Our Campster has bare painted fiberglass on the inside. I suspect it originally had some kind of fabric insulation but do no know for sure. While we don't currently plan to change it, some insulation would be good, even in the summer. The last couple of days I have been out working on it and it wss lime an oven at mid 60s outside temperature. I didn't have the windows open or the fan on.

You have the option of cleaning it up and trying it out then deciding later if you need to replace the insulation. The condition of the fiberglass might also sway you. Ours is textured but not what I would call rough, so it looks fine as is.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:07 AM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrisa09 View Post
First off on the Inside there is this foamy Insulation and it seems all mouldy and what not so I want to rip it out.
Hi Marrisa,

The insulation is called Ensolite. That might help with your searches.

A link to how we did it: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post100084

I agree with Mary, replacing the ensolite is a huge job. You may regret it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:14 PM   #5

Alberta
Insulation

So I have been searching and searching and searching the internet for ideas, and came up with a few things.
1. Doesn't matter what I insulate it with it will be a big Job . Ugh
2. I probably don't want to just paint the Fiber glass as I am conserned about the condensation.
3. I don't want to spend a million dollars on it. But have to replace the crap insulation as it is filled with mould . So Nasty!
4. What ever I do insulate it with, I will still have to cover with fabric or vinyl. Sooo much work!
5. I need to use some kind of glue/rubber cement that hold in high temps.

I was looking around and saw some one insulated with floor underlayment, anyone do this and if so how? Also what kind of underlayment? Did it stick well?
Old 05-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #6

Marrisa,

We cleaned and painted the ensolite in ours 9-10 years ago. We found that if you keep the cushions away from the walls when it is stored over the winter the mold does not return. What else can I say?

Before and after shots are here:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post174856
Old 05-30-2017, 08:08 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Triple E Surfside
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrisa09 View Post
Hey Guys!
I am totally new to owning a little Fibreglass Camper. I am going to Reno my little lady but have a few questions. First off on the Inside there is this foamy Insulation and it seems all mouldy and what not so I want to rip it out. what do you think I should use to insulate the trailer that is not crazy expensive? Keep in mind there are lots of bumps and lumps on the walls. Also question do I have to put on anything to insulate it or could i just prime and paint the fibreglass. I am only going to use the camper during the summer.

Thanks In Advance
Marrisa
Hi Marrisa, we have the ensolite as well, we are doing a total reno and decided to keep the ensolite for now. The previous owner cleaned it and painted it so it is in pretty good shape. The ensolite that was behind the cupboards is dirty and possibly moldy but i plan to clean and repaint. The alternative are a lot of work and can be pricey.
Anyway good luck.
David D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
Trillium Jubilee Insulation...

...isn't ensolite. Its some kind of bubbly foam that has a top coat of some kind of latex something, generally known as 'popcorn'. It de-laminates from the Fiberglas wherever there is water penetration, such as under the windows due to leak, or on the ceiling due to a pinhole or leak around the vent, and gets moldy in behind. I think it was originally sprayed on.

You've seen it on ours, Roy - the crumbly foam stuff. You've also seen Linda's Jubilee, where all the popcorn was ripped out and it was carefully relined with very carefully cut panels of something which might be 'elephant skin' or might be carpet underlay, I cant recall exactly what it is.

In short, Jubilee insulation is a PITA.
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Registry
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...0&d=1471720129
See jennydeans jubilee reno thread. this pic is from that thread. this is the 'popcorn'.
Pat Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
See jennydeans jubilee reno thread. this pic is from that thread. this is the 'popcorn'.
Thanks Pat,
I didn't realize that the foam under the popcorn finish of the Jubilee was that much different.
It looks like an open cell foam very unlike the blackish closed cell foam on both my boler American and Trillium 4500.

I always thought the only difference was in the texture of the surface treatment. Sort of like a heavier "stucco" effect.

That's what I like about this site. There is always something new (or old) to learn.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:51 PM   #11

Alberta
Yeah it's definitely an open cell foam which is one of the main reasons I don't like it, mould can build. I have a baby so that's the importance of getting that crap out. Talked to the trillium manufactures about replacing the insulation turns out they hate replacing the stuff and putting it in there in the first place. You'd think by now they would have figured out something better and easier to install.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:06 AM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I found some of this stuff in my 5500. It was hidden behind the actual Ensolite, below the front and rear windows, at the belly band level. My guess is they used that foam to fill the recess in the FG shell where the belly band is, to make a straight and uniform interior wall.

This foam is open cell, about 1/2" thick, and looks much more flimsy than Ensolite.

On my trailer, the foam had sucked up water from the leaking windows just above, and turned into an pretty extensive mold ecosystem...
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:50 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I've had leakes in my Boler for ever and never had a mold issue...Mine is a 79 Boler with ensolite. The water would not drip but stream down back wall, onto my poor wife while sleeping and onto bedding.
Currently got the leak fixed but I am sure it will come back.
As said this has been going on for the 20 years + that I have owned it and never had a mold issue.
When we first baught it, we did wash walls down with Bleach and water mix and this is how we keep it clean and white.
I have owned 4 stick builds over the years with mold problems and the odor awfull and un healthy but in the Boler...none
Our Ensolite is a closed cell product.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #14

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/a...0&d=1471720129

The link you pure just shows a pic of the insulation falling off doesn't show the thread
Old 06-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #15

Marrisa,
I see Mikmay posted he has a bolt of ensolite.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post637924
Sent you a PM with link.

Tags
trillium