Trillium... new shelves and lights. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #1

Name: paul
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Trillium... new shelves and lights.

The original plywood the window frames were mounted to had rotted out... probably due to poor original installation with silicone. The windows had to be pulled out and the wood completely replaced. While I had the windows out I repainted the trailer exterior with Brightside marine paint and wired in running lights (...the wiring tucks into channels in the wood window frames). I reinstalled the windows screwed into maple with the elephant skin tucked underneath... a nice clean look. Only used stainless steel hardware and sealed everything with butyl tape.

I have found that my trailers greatest short coming is a lack of storage space for clothing so I decided to install three shelves...

The front shelf is full trailer width, 12" deep of 1/4" plywood for the shelf itself and is made rigid across the front with 1x4 maple. The back rests on the window frame and the sides are mounted to blocks of wood attached to the shell with marine epoxy. Strips of wood help make the shelf bottom rigid and are screwed into the window frames... so everything is firm, but with a little wiggle room for flexing.

The rear shelf is full width, also sits on the window frames (so it sits a little lower) and is 18" deep. It front is 1x4 maple backed up by a 1x3 maple... very strong. Owing to the geometry of the windows and shell I had to install this shelf in three pieces. While I was doing the wiring for the running lights I also ran wires to install a light under this shelf.

The third shelf is a "spice rack" just above the table. Handy for playing cards, wallet, novels, maps, etc. Maple strips across the front tie-in with the other shelves appearance. Held in place by 4 screws put through the waste strap on the outside. The only problem to be worked out is a cover of some kind so the contents don't go airborne the first bump I hit. Maybe a wood lid held in place with velcro or some stretchy fabric?

I think the light on the shelf over the table will end up being the most used light in the trailer.

I also replaced the door hinges which were barely holding on... more rotted wood! I used a Dremel tool to clean out all the rotted stuff and then put in wood plugs held in place by Gorilla glue. New hinges cost $150 but were worth it... sealed them with butyl tape. Door now hangs properly and looks great.
Attached Thumbnails
trailer 1.jpg   trailer 2.jpg  

trailer 3.jpg   trailer 4.jpg  

paul paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Nice job. They will come in handy
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:19 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Well done. The shelves add a lot of convenient storage. But when things didn't stay in place going down the road I added netting.
Attached Thumbnails
_20190801_060539.JPG  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, trillium