Trillium Porch Light Position - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #1

Name: Rod
Trailer: 2014 GWV Trillium Sidekick 1500
British Columbia
Registry
Trillium Porch Light Position

Hello,

I was wanting to install one of these Bargman porch lights on my Tillium 1300:

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/cat/558...58074_silo.jpg

Can anyone who has a factory installed one send me some pictures of the position of it, with the lens cover off, and maybe some measurements I can use for co-ordinates to position it in relation to the door and dinette window? Thanks for the help!

~Rodre

I am a Trilliumaire - I can go camping anytime, any place, anywhere.
Rodre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:21 PM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Rodre,
I can't say for sure, but I just noticed a piece of wood behind the ensolite in my closet on the 4500 that seems to match the correct position. Have you checked your closet. It's the only reason I can see for the bulge to be there.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:36 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I have a 4500 as well. We tore out all the ensolite. The square chunk of wood is not for the light. There was something attatched to it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was now. I think it may have been a latch. The light is installed through drilled holes in the upper lefthand corner of the closet. On the closet side there is a washer and screw that screws into the light.
BarbT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 11:39 AM   #4

British Columbia
Registry
Hi, Thanks for your responses. Can I trouble one of you guys to break out your digital camera and measuring tape? I'd like to get this installed in the as close to factory original position as possible. I like things to look spec.

~Rodre

Old 07-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Hi, Rodre

Here are some pictures of my porchlight, which is a replacement of the original.I had to change it due to a broken cover that I couldn't match. At the time I bought this light, white was the only color available, and although it's a Bargman, too, it's smaller than the original. The closeup shows the leftover caulkline from the original light.
When I put it on, I positioned the top and right edges with the old light's shadow (as best I could- it looks a bit crooked in this picture!).
The top edge is 7-3/4" down from the awning rail (end of tape firmly against rail).
The right edge is 3-1/4" from the doorframe edge (tape "hooked" at doorframe).

Hope this helps!

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium Poch Light 001.jpg   Trillium Poch Light 002.jpg  

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:25 PM   #6

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
Hi, Rodre

Here are some pictures of my porchlight, which is a replacement of the original.I had to change it due to a broken cover that I couldn't match. At the time I bought this light, white was the only color available, and although it's a Bargman, too, it's smaller than the original. The closeup shows the leftover caulkline from the original light.
When I put it on, I positioned the top and right edges with the old light's shadow (as best I could- it looks a bit crooked in this picture!).
The top edge is 7-3/4" down from the awning rail (end of tape firmly against rail).
The right edge is 3-1/4" from the doorframe edge (tape "hooked" at doorframe).

Hope this helps!

Francesca

Thanks Francesca!, looks like I have a project for the weekend. Funny, I thought these ones were like the original? Did the original look the same but was bigger? BTW, how is it fastened to the body, with rivets?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post
Thanks Francesca!, looks like I have a project for the weekend. Funny, I thought these ones were like the original? Did the original look the same but was bigger? BTW, how is it fastened to the body, with rivets?
hi, Rodre

The original light was virtually identical, except wider- I still have it as I hope to come across a replacement lens some day...
FYI, the switch for the light is inside the trailer, if you're trying to duplicate what the factory did.
Let me know if you need pics of that, too.

Francesca

P.S.
Yes, it goes on with rivets!

F.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Does the orginal have a part number on it? I wouldn't mind a picture of the switch if you have your camera handy. Thanks!

BTW, how wide is the original one? I am now wondering if the one I have is the old one or the new one as it looked like it was new old stock when I bought it.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 PM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbT View Post
I have a 4500 as well. We tore out all the ensolite. The square chunk of wood is not for the light. There was something attatched to it, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was now. I think it may have been a latch. The light is installed through drilled holes in the upper lefthand corner of the closet. On the closet side there is a washer and screw that screws into the light.
On my 4500 there was a latch in the closet to hold the Table Extension when it was not needed for the bed,
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodre View Post
Does the orginal have a part number on it? I wouldn't mind a picture of the switch if you have your camera handy. Thanks!

BTW, how wide is the original one? I am now wondering if the one I have is the old one or the new one as it looked like it was new old stock when I bought it.
Truth be told, Rodre, when I said I still have the old light, I didn't mean I know exactly where it is...
I looked just now in the box with the taillights, etc. and it's not there. No surprise, that!
It's probably at the bottom of a pile on my workbench...
Anyway, the replacement is exactly like the lights at Porch Lights from Bargman RV for Sale - PPL Motor Homes- it's just shy of 6" wide, and I think the old light is about an inch wider.
Here're some pics of the switch, FYI. That's a real handy location, just inside the door. I like having the switch inside- it's nice for checking out "midnight visitors" before I open the door !

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium Poch Light 004.jpg   Trillium Poch Light 003.jpg  

Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
wow!! i jus insalled a bargman light yesterday!! i just sort of guessed the location...i figued the guys do the same at the facory!!!

yup the little block is to hold the table in place.
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 AM   #12

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWA View Post
wow!! i jus insalled a bargman light yesterday!! i just sort of guessed the location...i figued the guys do the same at the facory!!!

yup the little block is to hold the table in place.

I studied a large number of photos and came to the conclusion that they were all what appeared to be the exact same location. I know they use a jig at the factory to position stuff so I don't doubt they have a jig or a template for the light location.

Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
7 3/4 inches to the door opening and 4 1/2 inches down from the top of the door opening.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM   #14

Registry
Depends on whether you're trying to duplicate the original, which was closer to the door, or the "new" Trillium.
On right, one of Randy Bishop's "herd"; on left a new Trillium.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #15

British Columbia
Registry
I am finally getting around to installing this porch light. When I measure 7 3/4" from the awning rail this puts the top of the light about 3/4" higher than the top of the window to the left of the light, is this correct? The reason I ask is because when I look at the pictures the top of the light seems aligned with the top of the window frame, whic would make sense so that everything looks tidy. My other problem is that the retractable awning that is permanently installed on my Trillium gets in the way of me measuring from the rail. Can someone take a straight edge and put it across the top of the porch light and see if it aligns with the top of the window frame? And if it doesn't can you please measure the delta between the straight edge and the window frame and let me know what it is? Thanks.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Rodre,
Can't help you since my Trillium is still in storage. Something you might want to check is if there is a curve on the back side of the porch light. IIRC there was one on the light I put on the boler. I raised it up and down till the curve matched just right. Placement between the window and door was by the esthetic eye of Carol Ann.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:06 AM   #17

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Registry
yes the top of the porch light aligns with the top edge of the metal frame of the window beside it.
on mine anyway.
Chris McVeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #18

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
It appears it does line up. You can see in this pic the shadow/outline of the original light before it was replaced with a different light by a PO.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040526.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	58350

Hope this helps

Spanke
Old 04-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #19

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Spanke, Is your door window painted? And I can now clearly see that your trailer was green on the outside at one time.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:02 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
It is painted, but that is one of those new-fangled "plywood" windows.

Still contemplating either getting it reglazed with new glass or lexan or buying new. Would have to be custom sized "$$$" if new. Still searching for a good used one, the frame is pretty abused.

I have a thread started about it with pics: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...fix-56289.html

Spanke

Tags
light, trillium