Trillium queen bed option - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #1

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Trillium queen bed option

The standard bed in my 13 foot '72 Trillium has two shortcomings; it's not as wide as I'd like for two adults and someone has to sleep on the 'inside'. In an effort to make it more 'wife friendly', (and I like to tinker...) I have made a simple mod. I made an extension to the end of the dinette table from 3/4" plywood. The extension leg is hinged to fold away for easier storage and it is attached to the dinette table with spring hooks. I found a 'doggie bed' at Walmart to cushion the extension and a queen comforter fits perfectly. The foot area is narrower but not so much as to take away from the comfort factor.
Barrie
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 AM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
It may make you feet hot if that is your heater in the picture?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #3

New Brunswick
You're right! I should have mentioned the furnace would be a non starter when the bed is in the revised configuration. The 'heat' would have to come from finally being able to sleep with another warm body. I guess the rule will be... bundle up at night, if it's cold, and revert to the conventional configuration in the morning when the furnace must be started to take the chill off. We're all used to compromises in our 'eggs' anyway, right?
Barrie
Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Or use an electric countertop cube heater.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
Just looking at "eggs". I have my eye on a 13' Trillium. I'm 6'2" and was wondering about the comfort of sleeping.
Thanks for the idea!
Old 12-03-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Barrie, I like your idea. I would like to do the same thing but can't figure what to do with the 90 lb golden retriever. With the bed extension taking up the floor space the only place left for her to go is, you guessed it, on the bed. Oh well, we'll noodle on it some more. Nice job. Thanks for sharing. Raz
Old 12-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #7

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Barrie, I like your idea. I would like to do the same thing but can't figure what to do with the 90 lb golden retriever. With the bed extension taking up the floor space the only place left for her to go is, you guessed it, on the bed. Oh well, we'll noodle on it some more. Nice job. Thanks for sharing. Raz
There should still be room on the floor, at the end of the extension, for your dog to sleep. Alternately, how about the gaucho?
Barrie
Old 12-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Boy, you take the dog's bed and use it yourself and them give him the gaucho!!!!!
Old 12-03-2011, 03:28 PM   #9

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Boy, you take the dog's bed and use it yourself and them give him the gaucho!!!!!
LOL... Boy, I can't put anything past you. (smile). Oh well, I like his bed too.
Barrie
Old 12-03-2011, 06:53 PM   #10

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
hi barrie...now that you've used that bed configuration for a while....are you still happy with it? do you find you have any difficulty getting down off of the bed with the extension in place...is it strong enough for you to "climb down" on???
Old 12-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #11

New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
hi barrie...now that you've used that bed configuration for a while....are you still happy with it? do you find you have any difficulty getting down off of the bed with the extension in place...is it strong enough for you to "climb down" on???
Hi Theresa,
I am thrilled with the bed extension. I have no trouble climbing out at night without disturbing my partner. Although the leg area is narrower than the torso area our legs don't need the room anyway. It is so much more comfortable with all the extra room. The only down side is that I prefer to boondock and I can't use the furnace when the temperature dips. However, in the morning we can just swing around the regular way, drop the extension and then the furnace is OK to use. It only takes a minute to make the switch.
Cheers,
Barrie

Tags
trillium