Trimetric install on Scamp 16' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #1

Name: Morgan
Trailer: Scamp 16
Colorado
Trimetric install on Scamp 16'

Hi,
I'm looking at installing a Trimetric monitor on a Scamp 16, layout #4 (which has not been built yet.) I'm wondering what others have done on these installations regarding placement of the shunt and placement of the display panel. I'm considering mounting the shunt in a weatherproof junction box on the trailer tongue, but I don't know if this is a good idea or not.

Having not actually seen a #4 layout 16', I have no idea as to placement options for the display panel.

I'm hoping to get the manufacturer to run the wiring for me, so I will need to decide on a general location for the device ahead of time. I don't even know if they will be willing to do this, but if they are I will need to tell them what to do.

Any comments, suggestions or experiences regarding this will be appreciated.

Morgan
Morganza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:04 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I recall having to install the shunt near the battery and it was not exposed, the Trimetric was installed under the seat where the display can be observed easily. The kit comes with plenty of wire length.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Morgan,
Congrats on the new Scamp!
I installed the Trimetric in my 16' side dinette just to the left of the galley sink at about eye level. It is mounted on the fiberglass side wall. The wires were pulled through the refer cavity from below the floor. As I remember I purchased a 6 conductor, 3 twisted pair wire that handled all the needs. I mounted the shunt on the inside of the tongue frame on the curb side near the battery. I didn't use a WP box, which is a mistake. The elements can cause corrosion. I am in the process of re-installing the shunt. Vent holes in the bottom of the box may be a good idea, but I have not figured out a way to let the hot air out of the top without allowing rain into the box. Comments to follow on how to do that from our creative FGRV mind pool.
Just some thoughts on the Trimetric:
It is a fun tool to give an RVer an idea about power usage for various electrical devices.
It counts the amp hour draw and calculates remaining battery capacity, which gives the user peace of mind in knowing about how much reserve power remains.
It tells how much current is flowing and what direction. IE are we charging or discharging and how much.
I feel the mounting location should be in a conspicuous space where you can view it at any time. If you have to hide it, no problem. Mount it where the installation makes sense.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 10:06 AM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Morgan,
I mounted the shunt on the inside of the tongue frame on the curb side near the battery. I didn't use a WP box, which is a mistake. The elements can cause corrosion. I am in the process of re-installing the shunt. Vent holes in the bottom of the box may be a good idea, but I have not figured out a way to let the hot air out of the top without allowing rain into the box.
Russ
This is great. I've also read and subscribed to the other thread that you commented on about this subject. I'm thinking about putting some small drain holes in the bottom of the box and maybe a larger hole on the back side with a little guard over it to keep out rain and spray. I also saw a picture that showed the shunt mounted in the battery box. One picture showed it connected with a small jumper to the battery, the other picture showed the shunt attached directly to the battery terminal with a nicely made copper bar. I googled "trimetric shunt" under images and found these and some other not so elegant ideas.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...DvRDA4RCrPJ_4A

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...kqDMFSL-MBJ_-k

I wonder what the shunt manufacturer thinks about these. I may ask them.

I'll probably run the wires up through the reefer cabinet also. I may go above that into the storage cabinet above and run wires through the wall there. This info is enough to get a discussion going with the builder though. Thanks.

Morgan
Old 11-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #5

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Morgan,
The tech at Deltec seemed to be worried about corrosion altering the value of the shunt. The battery box is a very corrosive environment, so not sure if it would be suitable. It sure is a tidy and easy place to mount it though. Ralph at Bogart Engineering Wasn't so worried about the corrosion and didn't seem too concerned about exterior mounting. After 1 year my shunt has some white fuzz in the nooks and crannies.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:39 AM   #6

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruscal View Post
Morgan,
The tech at Deltec seemed to be worried about corrosion altering the value of the shunt. The battery box is a very corrosive environment, so not sure if it would be suitable.
Russ
Russ,
After posting the pictures, I thought about the corrosion issue too. There may be something to it. I'll try a vented junction box instead.
Morgan

Tags
scamp