Turn that chalky white shell into a nice shine - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Turn that chalky white shell into a nice shine

I followed others lead that I read in another thread on restoring that chalky gel coat into a nice lustrous finish. I used the Red Max floor finish (1 gallon was $16.00 at Lowes) and it turned out very nice, that stuff is a tuff finish and gives the fiberglass a nice new finish, it is about a semi-gloss finish, not overly shiny but very nice and much easier to clean. It only used maybe 1/6 to 1/8 of the gallon to put a few coats on the shell, a little goes a long way. It was easy to apply, just wipe on with rags and let stand to dry, it self evens and dries fairly fast, 20-30 minutes. I put about 3 coats on. I will post pics when I finish a few other small projects and get some spare time. I highly recommend this finish. Be careful not to over apply and get drips, the drips will dry and cannot be removed with mineral spirits or alcohol, I think I may have to smooth a couple of areas out by getting some of the Red Max stripper to redo a few small areas.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Just curious but is that stuff UV Resistant?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM   #3

Ohio
Registry
There is another thread going on it, a couple members are doing some time trials, so far all opinions are it holds up well, only time will tell, no UV rating on it that I am aware of.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
There is another thread going on it, a couple members are doing some time trials, so far all opinions are it holds up well, only time will tell, no UV rating on it that I am aware of.
Interesting, well I am anxious to see the long term results. Maybe I can have one of my industrial coating engineers look at the product and give a chemical analysis that I can add to the study?
David Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:16 PM   #5

Ohio
Registry
Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ell-43004.html