TV Antenna? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2015, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Brad
Trailer: Currently Shopping
New York
TV Antenna?

I am going to buy either a Scamp 16' or Casita 16' brand new, haven't decided yet, but leaning towards the Scamp.
My plan is to use this trailer mostly for dry camping without hook-ups
I am skeptical about the TV antennas that they offer. Both companies are offering some sort of TV antenna molded into the roof, nothing on the outside of the trailer. I have only ever used the Winegard crank-up amplified antenna in my current trailer, and it works fairly well.
I can't imagine that this built-in antenna would work very well. Does anyone have any experience with these built-in antennas?
Thanks!!
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
My experience is that the new digital TV reception is very, very picky. Unlike the analog systems of the past, there is little, if any, fringe area, either you have it, or you don't. That said, as you mentioned that you would be dry camping, I'd opt for the most sensitive antenna, on a mast, that I could get.

Back a few and many years ago I had those built-in antennas in molded fiberglass Sunrader mini-Motorhomes and, other than in town, they were poor at best. But the one molded into the deck lid of my 1954 Corvette, worked great, as an AM radio antenna anyway.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Here is a photo of what Scamp put on my 2015 13'.

It works well when a signal is present and has an amplifier built into one of the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0726.jpg  
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

You might post what the make and model of your antenna is so availability and reviews as to sensitivity can be evaluated.

Old 12-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Keep in mind, if it is amplified, it uses power from your battery, along with the TV
Old 12-07-2015, 10:57 AM   #6

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
We mostly do state park camping and are plugged in to power. We mostly watch for weather radar or news and do not have the television on for long periods. At home, I use the trailer as my man cave and find I get better reception in the trailer than we do in the house where we get reception via HD air antenna.

We have been camped in very rural parks or in deep valleys where we got no reception.

The brand Scamp put on when they built my trailer last December was the King Jack model.
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Escape Trailers also install the King Jack antenna; I liked it so well I put one in my house attic. Superb reception compared to any other I have used.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 12:37 PM   #8

WOW, that looks like one nice antenna for FGRV's. I'm gonna get one for my Hunter. I especially like the inside power meter and the inside rotation ability. Here's a link.
http://kingconnect.com/product/king-jack/

BTW: The built-in amplifier only pulls .1 amps

Old 12-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #9

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
I am just relating a conversation I had with a fellow egger I had camped next to about a year ago and I personally have no experience with this set up. He had a collapasible flag pole, apparently from harbor freight , with a somewhat ubiquitous antennae which he stated got acceptable reception. He then went on to state that he had recently found an antennae called a Mohu fly that was superior to the flag pole antennae set up which he no longer used. I personally can find very little worth watching on cable tv at home, 220 channels of who cares mostly,( the wife does or we wouldn't have cable ) and am perfectly happy with no tv when camping and am just passing along information. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #10

The good news, with digital programming, is that there are now many sub-channels on off-the-air reception. As a result some good, or at least entertaining stuff occasionally sneaks in..... LOL

An off-the-air antenna on my Hunter parked in my driveway, grabs in the range of 80 channels and sub channels.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #11

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
I have a $10 HDTV unamplified black 12" square x 1/2" thick antenna from BIGLOTS that is AWESOME!!!!! It simply screws in to the TV and sits inside the upper cabinet and can be positioned as needed. You have to try it to believe it! Besides - it is $10 and requires nothing to install - there is no risk. The TV I am using it on is a 24" Insignia HDTV with built in DVD player from BestBuy for $139 -- it will run on AC or DC with a simple cigar lighter plug.
bsedwebt is offline   Reply With Quote