TV antennae - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #21

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
On our recent cross-country trip we promised ourselves we'd make the effort to buy newspapers regularly, search for TV stations, etc. in order to not come back to an entirely different world than we started with.

It worked, but the over-the-air TV stations were almost never there for us. At one campground in Susanville, CA there was a line-of-sight view to the hilltop antenna, but no reception. We have an amplified Winegard Sensar monster the previous owner had had the factory install, and I thought it would do the job. When the trailer is stored at home there is some shielding from a giant tree and the neighbor's house, but not enough to be a problem it would seem. Really poor reception, lousy picture if we could even get it, and we are in the middle of a metropolitan area where our digital home TV works just great with a roof-top antenna.

I started to think that there was a problem with the Sensar or its connections, so when our digital converter boxes (one DirectTV brand, another an Apex brand) arrived I decided to run an experiment. I dug out an old rabbit ears antenna which also had a loop on it, placed it haphazardly on the bed, hooked up the converter box, and there it was, about 20 channels clear as a bell, great sound, and plenty of signal strength. Note that the antenna was not moved, and when I moved it around the signal strength did not change very much. Hmmmm......

Suspecting the Winegard I hooked it up, but same thing: super reception where the analog was next to totally useless. Pretty much the same regardless of the antenna orientation. So I lowered the antenna to drive position. Slight decrease in signal strength but reception just fine.

Next thing is to try it out in various camping situations, although it is virtually impossible for it to be worse than it has been on analog, so the prognosis is one of guarded optimism. If the results at home hold true it could be a significant improvement.

Best scenario: ditch the Winegard monster ("look at that little trailer under that monster antenna, Mabel!") and install something like a Boomerang low-profile unit in its place. Lower weight, less complication with no rotator mechanism, better gas mileage, less embarassment, etc. etc. Downside: holes to fill in the fiberglass, patching and painting. Stay "tuned."
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #22

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I purchased a small one from Wienguard, designed for RVs.

the box

It is about the size of a paperback book, weighs nothing, and runs on 9v, as well as with a walwart.

A quick trip to radio hack to by a lighter plug device (DC-DC convertor.. 8 bucks) that converts from 12 to 9v, and the proper plug to use in the 9v receptacle on the box, and I can easily switch from 9v (Preferable, less current draw) or AC with the walwart when available.

It is so light (No AC transformer to deal with) that it is stuck up with velco, and not budging.

I got it at Camping World, and with my coupon from GW, it was an out of pockets expense of 20 bucks, I think. (Can't remember, got it so long ago)
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
We've been putting a fringe area antenna on our house and receiving the true "high definition" channels over the air for free. Super Bowl was over the air and the High Def Digital signal almost made some of the faces of the players a bit too real.... Getting ready to go "off the grid" for TV and tell cable to take a hike.

One thing I've found since playing with the new digital signals is that it is all about antenna positioning and moving the antenna just a bit right or left can bring in a whole bunch more. With digital signals, you either get it or you don't, there is no snow.

If you go to this site Compass Headings, if you know the zip code where you are at, it will tell you the compass headings to point your antenna for the stations that are available. Of course, you'll have to remember to pack a compass.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:30 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

My RCA DTA800 Digital TV Tuner has a signal strength meter function, with an on-screen bar graph and audible tone. I can turn the Winegard Hideaway, model HA-0130 antenna outside, and listen to the TV audio through the open window. The higher the tone, the stronger the signal.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot
Quote:
A pic of the antennae that I said I would post. Haven't had the chance to see if it works yet.

We have a Bigfoot, 25' rear queen.
1. We are wondering anyone has any experience receiving a digital signal with the built-in TV antenna, which I understand is up over the fridge someplace.
2. If the built-in is unsatisfactory, are there any issues about mounting an antenna like the one in this picture on a fiberglass body? It seems like there is nothing for the screws to bite into.
3. How is the antenna in the picture fed? Did you run a coax through the wall of the trailer or just pass it through the window?

Ron & Sandy Gove

R&SGove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Do it yourself HD Antenna.

dsheets70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #27

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Reading through this thread it should be mentioned that after the changeover date, the older VHF antennas will not get the new UHF digital signals and to get a good signal, you'll have to spring for a new antenna. The upside is that it's easy to make a small effective antenna that will do the trick.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My rabbit ears at home have the VHF ears plus the UHF loop and all I did was put the converter box between the antenna and TV to make everything work just fine, in fact better than before (More channels and better pictures!).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:39 AM   #29

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
My rabbit ears at home have the VHF ears plus the UHF loop and all I did was put the converter box between the antenna and TV to make everything work just fine, in fact better than before (More channels and better pictures!).
I was referring to those who have external antennas on their trailers that are the more traditional VHF TV antenna type. No doubt UHF/VHF antennas would be effective, but here is a opprotunity to replace a large antenna array like the one pictured in this thread, with a simple UHF antenna which, as you state, now give a much better signal.

And for those creative types, a HDTV antenna can be homebrewed for pennies.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #30

OK -- Now I've got it!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #31

Trailer: Former Scamp owner (now Funfinder and Alite)
Now if you want to go for cheap on the digital antenna, there is a guy on You Tube that shows how to make one using six metal coat hangers. I tried it and it does work but don't know how it would compare to my roof top antenna since its been to cold to crawl up there. Anyhow, it was fun and didn't cost anything since I had several of the little matching transformers left over from years ago when we went from flat to round tv cable.
gheicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:25 PM   #32

BTW, Scamps will likely NEED an outside antenna because the two layers of foil in the Refectix-like insulation will block or attenuate many signals, like cell phone, WiFi, WX radio, broadcast AM/FM radio, etc. The ceiling and walls have the foil, but not the door.

Back when I was using my cell phone with Wilson antenna to access the internet through the old Verizon 'back door', I would place the antenna and ground plane outside through the roof vent if I didn't have a strong signal inside through the windows.

Also, the foil seems to be working to block the alien rays...
Old 03-06-2009, 07:41 PM   #33

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

We have an extra digital converter box coupon. (Ordered two and just used one).
We used the coupon at Walmart and saved $40.

I would be happy to mail it to anyone that can use it. It has an expiration date of March 16 - so let me know ASAP.

If you can use the coupon, click on my name on the left and send an email to me.

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 10:05 AM   #34

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Just ordered two converter boxes from www.solidsignal.com. Zinwell ZAT-950A Digital Converter Box W/ Analog Pass-Through ZAT-950A (CEC. This unit has received excellent reviews and is "automobile friendly". Total price for two units including shipping was $22.93 after $40 coupon discounts for each unit. See definition of Automobile friendly power below. We also ordered the [font="verdanahelveticasans-serif"]Winegard HA0130 Hideaway Economy Folding Omni-Directional Antenna (HA0130) for $41.99 plus shipping. Will let you know how they function after they arrive. Sincerely appreciate the advice and friendly atmosphere present on this forum.

"Automobile Friendly Power" simply refers to the inherent ability of a converter box to use a direct DC power source. Such a source could be a cigarette lighter adapter for a car or RV, or some other DC power aparatus. Converter boxes that can use a DC source are marked as having automobile friendly power on our website. They all come with their own AC transformer so that you can use them immediately in your home, but they do NOT include a DC adapter. Please take care to use only a DC adapter rated for the voltage marked on the converter box itself before you attempt to use the converter box in your automobile.
Norris Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #35

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Do it yourself HD Antenna.

Thanks for mentioning this. I just put it together and it works great. It looks kind of goofy, (okay, really goofy) but it works well in my area. In the comments to the video someone mentioned using a cable splitter to add the input from a rabbit ear antenna. I figured, why not, and that adjustment brought in another station that we wanted to get.

So we are pleased.

Judith

Judith K. is offline   Reply With Quote