TV antennae - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-09-2009, 01:39 AM   #29
Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
My rabbit ears at home have the VHF ears plus the UHF loop and all I did was put the converter box between the antenna and TV to make everything work just fine, in fact better than before (More channels and better pictures!).
I was referring to those who have external antennas on their trailers that are the more traditional VHF TV antenna type. No doubt UHF/VHF antennas would be effective, but here is a opprotunity to replace a large antenna array like the one pictured in this thread, with a simple UHF antenna which, as you state, now give a much better signal.

And for those creative types, a HDTV antenna can be homebrewed for pennies.

Check out my Scamp restoration video on Youtube, & my Ham Radio Blog. Or take the 50 cent tour...
Bob H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #30
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
OK -- Now I've got it!

Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #31
Trailer: Former Scamp owner (now Funfinder and Alite)
Now if you want to go for cheap on the digital antenna, there is a guy on You Tube that shows how to make one using six metal coat hangers. I tried it and it does work but don't know how it would compare to my roof top antenna since its been to cold to crawl up there. Anyhow, it was fun and didn't cost anything since I had several of the little matching transformers left over from years ago when we went from flat to round tv cable.
You Tube Digital Antenna
gheicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:25 PM   #32
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
BTW, Scamps will likely NEED an outside antenna because the two layers of foil in the Refectix-like insulation will block or attenuate many signals, like cell phone, WiFi, WX radio, broadcast AM/FM radio, etc. The ceiling and walls have the foil, but not the door.

Back when I was using my cell phone with Wilson antenna to access the internet through the old Verizon 'back door', I would place the antenna and ground plane outside through the roof vent if I didn't have a strong signal inside through the windows.

Also, the foil seems to be working to block the alien rays...
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #33
Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe

We have an extra digital converter box coupon. (Ordered two and just used one).
We used the coupon at Walmart and saved $40.

I would be happy to mail it to anyone that can use it. It has an expiration date of March 16 - so let me know ASAP.

If you can use the coupon, click on my name on the left and send an email to me.

CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:05 AM   #34
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Just ordered two converter boxes from Zinwell ZAT-950A Digital Converter Box W/ Analog Pass-Through ZAT-950A (CEC. This unit has received excellent reviews and is "automobile friendly". Total price for two units including shipping was $22.93 after $40 coupon discounts for each unit. See definition of Automobile friendly power below. We also ordered the [font="verdanahelveticasans-serif"]Winegard HA0130 Hideaway Economy Folding Omni-Directional Antenna (HA0130) for $41.99 plus shipping. Will let you know how they function after they arrive. Sincerely appreciate the advice and friendly atmosphere present on this forum.

"Automobile Friendly Power" simply refers to the inherent ability of a converter box to use a direct DC power source. Such a source could be a cigarette lighter adapter for a car or RV, or some other DC power aparatus. Converter boxes that can use a DC source are marked as having automobile friendly power on our website. They all come with their own AC transformer so that you can use them immediately in your home, but they do NOT include a DC adapter. Please take care to use only a DC adapter rated for the voltage marked on the converter box itself before you attempt to use the converter box in your automobile.
Norris Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #35
Trailer: No Trailer Yet