TV / DVD Combo Install - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 06:50 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
TV / DVD Combo Install

My wife and I decided to install a TV in our little trailer for the inevitable rainy day situations. We put together a set up that can be viewed from anywhere in the trailer. The articulating arm mount can swivel, extend, and tilt to any position you desire, and then stow in the corner when not in use. The mount is connected to the TV with a quick disconnect. We remove it prior to towing, and stow the TV on the bedding for safe travel.

Our choice for the TV was a Naxa 16" with an integral DVD player. It will also play music CDs and even MP3 files from a CD. There is an input for USB, but we haven't tried that yet. Included is a 12V DC power cord for boon docking, as well as a 110V AC cord for use on the grid. We're very happy with the TV so far. Our camper is cable or external antenna ready, but we haven't bought the antenna yet. Most of our use will be watching movies with the DVD. Amazon.com: NAXA NTD-1553 16" Class LED HDTV with Built-in Digital Tuner & DVD Player: Electronics

The articulating mount is key to the versatility of this set up. Again, very happy with our choice.
Amazon.com: VideoSecu LCD Monitor TV Wall Mount Articulating Arm Bracket for most 12"-24", some up to 27" with VESA 100/75mm LED Flat Panel Screen TV ML10B 1E9: Electronics

The quick disconnect is very simple and sturdy. Although this set up only weighs 3 - 4 lbs.; we wanted to be able to take the TV off for travel or when leaving it behind. This Q-D makes that very easy. Amazon.com: Ergotron Quick Release LCD Bracket (60-589-060): Electronics

The first 2 pics are the view from bed and from the rear when facing the dinette / bed. I'll post a few more pics in the next post.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00426.jpg   DSC00423.jpg  

TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:59 AM   #2

Michigan
These pictures show the TV facing the couch, in the stowed position, the reinforcement for the mount in the closet (needs paint), and the outlets located on the lower cabinet below the TV.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
DSC00428.jpg   DSC00431.jpg  

DSC00425.jpg   DSC00429.jpg  

Old 09-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #3

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Nice!
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 07:19 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Thanks for the pictures and links! Great job! I know you all will enjoy your hard work!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Were I to install a screen in my trailer, that is exactly where, and how I would do it. Excellent work!
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #6

Michigan
Thanks guys, it was very easy to do. The toughest part was finding the right mount. Someone on the forum pointed me to the Q-D. (sorry I can't remember who). The actual install took less than a half hour. There are quite a few TV installations on the forum, but this stuff changes quickly, as does all technology. This was my solution for now. Next year this info will be outdated as well.

Tom
Old 09-25-2014, 12:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Awesome job Tom. I am in the process of doing this in my Boler and wondering what you used for an antenna.

Rick
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #8

Michigan
Thx Rick, I haven't picked out an antenna yet. For now DVDs are all we've watched in the trailer. I did try the TV out with the home cable and it works just fine. Another use for the TV was discovered after the fact. My wife and I both enjoy Old Time Radio shows. We have many in MP3 format on CDs, and the TV plays them!

The Mohu Leaf looks good for an inside antenna and the Clearstream 2V recommended by Mike-N-Laurie sounds even better although bulkier and built for outdoor use. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nna-64918.html

Leaf:
Amazon.com: Mohu Leaf Paper-Thin Indoor HDTV Antenna - Made in USA: Electronics

Clearstream 2V:
Amazon.com: Antennas Direct C2-V-CJM ClearStream 2-V Long Range UHF/VHF Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna with 20-Inch Mount: Electronics

Does anyone else have any antenna recommendations?

Tom
Old 09-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've had a lot of crappy antenna experiments and finally found a sweet one:

Amazon.com: JACK Digital HDTV Over-The-Air Antenna w/Built in Signal Finder - White: Electronics

NOT cheap, but fantastic performance and simple to aim with the signal strength indicator lights. I went from 4 stations in my driveway with a Winegard to 23!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #10

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I was at a Rally in September and everyone with a TV had a Jack antenna. I think that is what I am going to buy myself for Christmas.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote