FLUSH TOIDYS...LOL!!!!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2008, 12:35 AM   #16

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... People actually go camping to watch TV??? Well there's always the Weather Network!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie

Old 01-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #17

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Unfortunately for those of us who try to fit vacations/camping between regular work, we do need to stay up on news, weather, and email. We use our laptops with a Treo phone to have internet where we have a Verizon signal. As a school district administrator, my vacations are always "on call" for some time of emergency. If I don't check my email at least once a day, things get held up back at work and people aren't happy. Just a fact of life for us (my wife has to check on college advisees regularly, too). We keep it to a minimum, but we need to have the connectivity.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:58 AM   #18

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Like Kevin A, I work on the road quite a bit when we're Scamping, otherwise, we wouldn't be out that week.

Guess it all goes to the definition of "camping" which we had a big thread on some time ago. Sometimes we are camping/boondocking, and sometimes it is a mobile inexpensive condo/hotel room in some expensive resort area IE Sedona, AZ. Just depends what we're using it for that particular trip.

I have one of the TV sticks in my laptop bag, don't use it much, but it does prevent having to bring two devices to do different functions.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:09 AM   #19

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
TV is handy while camping, to see if the weather will cooperate with the next day's plans. And it was nice to have when I was on Superior's north shore (MN) and planning the trip home... I was intending to take 35W through Minneapolis but that bridge collapsed.

What irks me about this TV changeover is that I can't possibly get a converter box for the nice little 2" LCD handheld tv I like to camp with. It was only $50 but still I hate to have to just throw it away. It has a built in antenna, no way to connect a converter, and anyway connecting a big box to a tiny portable tv is senseless. I don't see them offering that type of tv yet with a digital tuner, either.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #20

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
TV is handy while camping, to see if the weather will cooperate with the next day's plans. And it was nice to have when I was on Superior's north shore (MN) and planning the trip home... I was intending to take 35W through Minneapolis but that bridge collapsed.

What irks me about this TV changeover is that I can't possibly get a converter box for the nice little 2" LCD handheld tv I like to camp with. It was only $50 but still I hate to have to just throw it away. It has a built in antenna, no way to connect a converter, and anyway connecting a big box to a tiny portable tv is senseless. I don't see them offering that type of tv yet with a digital tuner, either.
Michael, as a Ham Radio Operator & electronics geek, I look at your situation from another perspective. That antenna you have has two wires that might be connected instead of to the antenna, to a connector that could match what output connector that would be on the converter box you would use.

You then would set the handheld TV to what channel the converter would output,(like channel 3 or 4), then use the convrter as your tuner. Find someone you know who is a "real" computer geek, they would be able to make the modification. It's a hack of your beloved little handheld, & would probably limit it's mobility a bit but it's a way to extend it's usefulness.

Here's a handhed HDTV receiver
...and one here at Radioshack.

ConwayBob
Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM   #21

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Some people like some of the familiar elements of home, even when they are 'camping' -- That's not me, but I recognize their freedom to sit in pleasant surroundings to watch TV -- Back in a former life when we went family camping, I wouldn't considered having a TV on a weekend camping trip where we were 'getting away from it all'.

However, some of us are not camping, we just live in campgrounds and we might have a different perspective on entertainment -- I liked to stop at an Albertson's, ask to park overnight, buy some chicken and rent a DVD to play on my laptop. BTW, do NOT attempt to play the chicken and eat the DVD...).
Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #22

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I liked to stop at an Albertson's, ask to park overnight, buy some chicken and rent a DVD to play on my laptop. [b] BTW, do NOT attempt to play the chicken and eat the DVD...).
Thanks, Pete.
I find I really need those helpful hints as I grow older...
Old 01-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #23

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
...little 2" LCD handheld tv I like to camp with.
I don't see them offering that type of tv yet with a digital tuner, either.
I've seen people watching movies on their I-Pod.
Can't they hook up a tuner to one of those?