TV tuner for a laptop - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Have you ever tried Hulu.com, has tons of complete tv shows for free (sitcoms, reality tv, just about anything on networks) and movies too, it is a really great website.
Hulu is great but......

It requires a steady internet connection which is not too popular in campgrounds from my experience.
If I do have access but it is spotty or slow,I feel bad hogging it for my own TV viewing thus maybe preventing others from getting email,etc.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #22

Trailer: Eggcamper
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
...Now I can look further into getting the TV tuner attachment for my laptop AND a stronger set of Bunny Ears. The term 'bunny ears' , reached right out at me and cut through the solid metal grate that seems to come down in my brain, everytime a computer 'techie' word is mentioned to me.
I also picked up the USB TV to use with my laptop in our egg. My first antenna was a very small set of 'bunny ears' - if you have never tried to navigate inside a 12' pod with two people and two long antenna arms poking about - I don't recommend it ;-) Long story short - - our new digital TV at home also allows us to make use of the FREE OTA (Off The Air) digital channels so I bought a newer style digital antenna at Wally's to try at home. It worked great - and only cost about $36. Well since I am very (cheap) frugal - I returned it and bought the SAME antenna at Menards for $10 on sale!

I will post a picture of it - only about 1/2" high by 8" around - like a dinner plate. You can hang it on a small nail/hook or lay it on a shelf - or up on the roof. It sets on non-slip rubber feet - you rotate it to fine tune stations. I like ez store and ez use things! It is a Philips #3132. BTW -I made great antenna for use at home and keep this jewel in the EggCamper! (at my home it brought in as many as 12-15 TV stations.) Hope this helps others a bit...

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Philips 3132.png  
Old 04-02-2011, 03:01 PM   #23

Name: Richard
Trailer: uhaul ct-13
New Jersey
Registry
nice hdtv antenna

that has got to be the coolest and easiest/practical hdtv off the shelf antenna I have seen yet, I use my laptops for tv on the road, utilizing a small antenna provided, there is plenty of channels out there to find being broadcast, and like you said, its only when you are not out roaming like most of us are.. haha..
Jeep Wrangler Sport TJ
Calud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel / 2005 GMC CNo Trailer Yeton Quad Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Pensacola View Post
I bought a USB TV tuner for my laptop. It allows you to watch cable, satellite and local channels with an included antenna. You leave the TV home. I found it on Amazon.com. I can't get the page to post correctly but it is a HP KS523AA USB TV Tuner. It was easy to install on my HP laptop. They have other types of USB tuners so some investigation may be worth it. I paid $59.99 a few weeks ago and now it is priced at $41.11
Ed, I'm no techie, so how does this work?
Bill
SeaBeeBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:18 AM   #25

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Delux 16'
Florida
Iam not a techie either, but I believe the USB gadget is a TV tuner. You hook it up to an antenna, cable or satellite connection and the computer is like a HDTV. Maybe someone else can help
Ed in Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:30 AM   #26

Trailer: 2005 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft (was 2003 16 ft Scamp)
Registry
My undestanding is there is no such thing as a DIGITAL antenna. They added those words to get more sales. We use the same antenna mounted on my house that's been there over 30 years and it works great for digital (over 20 stations here). That size antenna would be great tho for inside a MFRV.
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:54 AM   #27

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
Laptop TV tuner and antenna workaround

I am using the AVERmedia Volar Max hybrid [will receive analog signals as well as digital—analog capability not worth much these days]. I am happy with the tuner but the bundled software is inflexible. A set of channels for a given area cannot be saved. Channels cannot be input manually, only through an autoscan procedure that takes a few minutes.

This can lead to problems when combined with the all-or-nothing-at-all nature of digital signals. I find that a given station may be receivable only with the antenna pointed, say, north. Let’s say that other channels can be found with the antenna facing west. The north channel is lost after the autoscan with the antenna facing west. The north channel cannot be manually input to produce a complete set of receivable channels. To receive the north channel once again, after rotating the antenna to face north an autoscan must be performed. At this point the west channels have been lost.

I’m not sure if a better software is available. I looked at a trial version of SageTV [about $75] but was not happy.

Our Bigfoot trailer came with a roof-mount crank up antenna. We removed it to install solar panels. After that I used the tiny antenna that comes with the tuner. It works fine if you are in a city with strong signals. Then I bought a set of Phillips amplified rabbit ears from WalMart. While an improvement and usable inside the Bigfoot, they require power and do not pull in the signals that well.

While I still use the mentioned two antennae at times, most of the time I use an outside antenna on a mast. For my antenna I got a small AntennasDirect cage from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Antennas Direct DB2 Multi Directional HDTV Antenna: Electronics

I’ve been pretty happy with it, though it seems fairly directional. Perhaps someone else knows of an omni-directional antenna that is not too large.

Finding a place to mount the mast on the trailer proved difficult. Eggs do not have vertical walls. At least ours does not. Such an antenna location might also shade the solar panels when the mast is raised. I decided to mount the mast on the back-door ladder on our Dodge Sprinter van. From Lowe’s I bought four conduit clamps of the appropriate size. Through the clamp mounting hole, one clamp is bolted to another with a stainless machine screw and a nylon lock nut. Between the clamps is a rubber grommet I had in my “I might use this some day” box. It’s actually the base of a rubber valve stem. I found several of these bases on the pavement at a Goodyear tire store while getting new trailer tires. One side of a clamp pair gets clamped to the ladder. The other side is for the antenna mast. One pair is mounted about 5’ above the ground and the other about 7’.

I needed a mast that would come apart for storage. I made a “tent pole” from emt conduit. I used ¾” emt conduit [it comes in 10’ lengths] and ½” emt conduit, both available at Home Depot and cheap! I cut a 20” piece of the ½” and gave the rest away. Ten inches of the ½” is inserted into a piece of the ¾” and held in place temporarily with Gorilla tape. A hole is drilled through both to accommodate a nut and bolt. I cut the ¾” conduit in two at a place where the piece with the ½” conduit inside could be inserted into the other end from below while the other end is mounted to the ladder.

What I ended up with is a one-piece mast of about 5’ that can ride permanently on the ladder with the antenna attached. The mast is in a lowered position for travel. Four days ago it rode that way without moving for the 20+ miles of “high clearance” but in parts “4 wheel drive” known as Titus Canyon Road in Death Valley. I can raise the mast above the tall van roof for receiving signals by loosening and re-tightening the clamps. To raise the mast REALLY high the second mast piece is inserted from below and the now two-piece mast raised and reclamped.

At the moment Gorilla tape shims around the ½” emt makes for a snug fit into the other piece to prevent it from rotating in the wind. I may one day drill holes and hold the two pieces with a clevis pin but for now the Gorilla tape works fine.

Coax cable must be attached each time the antenna is used. It is routed through the electrical hatch to a splitter. From there cable has been fished to two receptacles, one forward and the other aft. Perhaps because the coax was fished alongside 12v and 120v wire, the TV tuner only works when my laptop is on battery. When I plug the laptop into either 12v or 120v, the signal disappears. Ah well, another project for another day.

I did buy satellite-quality coax cable in case one day I wanted satellite. It has improved the TV reception over the standard coax. This source was fast and reasonably priced:

http://www.prosatellitesupply.com/drop-shop.htm

I’m the first person to admit that this system is a cumbersome work-around. Our full-time life in a Bigfoot 17 seems to be a collection of these. Anyone else experience this?
Attached Thumbnails
P1120005.jpg   P1120009.jpg  

P1120011.jpg   P1120012.jpg  

P1120008.jpg   P1120013.jpg  

P1120016.jpg   P1120007.jpg  

P1120010.jpg   P1120014.jpg  

Old 05-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #28

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Bill, I bought the same antenna at Menards, how does it work, I had a phillips amplified antenna that worked well before, this one is not amplified.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #29

Trailer: Casita
Registry
You can watch plenty of movies and other network shows on hulu.com
Watch TV. Watch Movies. | Online | Free | Hulu
It is free.
You will need an air card or activate a mobil hot spot if you have a smart phone.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote