TV tuner for a laptop - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2010, 06:18 AM   #1

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Delux 16'
Florida
TV tuner for a laptop

I bought a USB TV tuner for my laptop. It allows you to watch cable, satellite and local channels with an included antenna. You leave the TV home. I found it on Amazon.com. I can't get the page to post correctly but it is a HP KS523AA USB TV Tuner. It was easy to install on my HP laptop. They have other types of USB tuners so some investigation may be worth it. I paid $59.99 a few weeks ago and now it is priced at $41.11
Ed in Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ed, is it this one? http://www.amazon.com/HP-KS523AA-USB...3021036&sr=8-1
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #3

Name: Ed
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirit Delux 16'
Florida
Yes it is
Ed in Pensacola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 AM   #4

Trailer: 1973 13 ft Compact II
Duh?!!!! No comprende.

Donna,
My 'techie' skills are just not up to understanding this wondrous new device. Por favor?...does one have to be near (someone in camp) an actual physically set up big outside antenna or does that tiny little thing allow one to beam in the TV stations, without paying ANYTHING to be hooked up to DISH or DIRECT TV? Maybe I will still have to buy the software that will allow my laptop (HP Compaq Pressario) to receive these TV wonders.
bbuehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 AM   #5

I'm one of the last people on earth Barbara that can help you with TV inside a trailer with an antenna. I have a coaxial cable if I'm hooked up at a campground....

Maybe Ed can fill us all in on the necessities?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:21 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Hauppauge Computer Works - TV for your PC!

Also has a full line of PC/Video products. I have used one of their devices for more than 10 years.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Using the USB TV tuner, you have to have a physical hook up to cable, a satellite dish, or a TV antenna. This converts the signal to use on your laptop. It DOES NOT wirelessly receive TV broadcasts. The ad is very easy to misinterpret, so don't feel foolish.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:29 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Donna,
My 'techie' skills are just not up to understanding this wondrous new device. Por favor?...does one have to be near (someone in camp) an actual physically set up big outside antenna or does that tiny little thing allow one to beam in the TV stations, without paying ANYTHING to be hooked up to DISH or DIRECT TV? Maybe I will still have to buy the software that will allow my laptop (HP Compaq Pressario) to receive these TV wonders.

HEY, BB; come up north (again) in May!! I'll show you my 'hook up' for our lappy (which we bought to replace our 14in color T.V. while camping).

This program allows usage of any cable based t.v. reception signal, plus it comes with a small(ish) set of 'rabbit ears' which enable reception of local (stronger) t.v. stations broadcasts. Our program also allows access (via the same method) to (local) radio signals
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 AM   #9

...I'm still getting a ' fuzzy' picture!

Thanks to ALL for your replies to my question (always good to hear from my Canadian friends, Doug and Sandy!) (...and my Portland friend, Donna).
Now, tell me if I'm understanding this any better. If I want to get far-away stations through this TV-to-laptop tuner, I would have to pay monthly or yearly to hook up into a cable TV or satellte TV. BUT if I have a little hook-up into that small pair of rabbit ears (shown on the ad), do I get FREE hook-up to the regular local TV stations? If so, that's a great deal, and I would be perfectly happy with the 3 or 4 regular stations and don't have any need for 150 to 250 'exotic' stations.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #10

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
You can receive free Over-the-air broadcasts wherever you can pull in a signal. Those small antennas aren't very powerful, but you might look at TitanTV - Free Customizable TV Listings to see what's broadcasted in the your area, and http://www.antennaweb.org to get some ideas about signal strength. The recommendations there, Last time I checked, were for terrestrial, not mobile applications, but it may give you se ideas . You'll only be getting the closest/strongest ones with Rabbit ears.

I believe that for satellite, you'd need a dish, receiver (110vac?) , and a subscription!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:42 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Another useful site (my favorite) for determining the locations, directions and signal strengths of TV signals is TV Fool. If you have Google Earth installed on your computer they will overlay 3d coverage maps...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #12

...the picture is now coming in CLEARER!

Thanks, also, to Matt and Jon. Now I can look further into getting the TV tuner attachment for my laptop AND a stronger set of Bunny Ears. The term 'bunny ears' , reached right out at me and cut through the solid metal grate that seems to come down in my brain, everytime a computer 'techie' word is mentioned to me.
I think I'll be fine receiving a local channel news station rather than having to have CNN and their special view of the world news.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:05 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbuehler View Post
Thanks, also, to Matt and Jon. Now I can look further into getting the TV tuner attachment for my laptop AND a stronger set of Bunny Ears. The term 'bunny ears' , reached right out at me and cut through the solid metal grate that seems to come down in my brain, everytime a computer 'techie' word is mentioned to me.
I think I'll be fine receiving a local channel news station rather than having to have CNN and their special view of the world news.
Barb, you DO know most of these things come with a set of (small) wabbit ears, right? If you look to replace them with other larger ones, you best make sure you can get the correct wiring connections to make it work. THEN comes the new 'digital signal' issue .....will it work or not??
Old 12-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #14

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
These tuners merely let you use the Laptop as a TV.
Then you need not have 2 similar devices on board if you choose.

They act EXACTLY like any other TV then and can certainly pull wireless signals right out of the air like every other TV can with an adequate antenna.

Antennas are in general a passive device and have no "power" of their own.
So the more metal the higher in the air,the better your reception will be.
This is not always convenient but is true.
Putting antenna inside a metal bix does not work too well so those with Scamps with metal foil insulation will have to get the antenna outside the metal box.

I have several different computer tuners both Mac and PC based but I still greatly prefer a TV instead.
Then I can use the computer while watching TV (in the true spirit of camping!)and I find the quality of the picture much better in general with a TV.

! nice feature though of using the computer is the ability to use it as a DVR or "Tivo" of sorts to watch programming recorded at home on the road.
I use both and the iPad is great for that too.

Too many toys?
To each his own.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #15

Right now on CasitaForum, there is a thread going on mounting an exterior mast for an Anemometer which is used for determining wind speed. The OP is looking for suggestions on a non-permanent mast but something that can be deployed as needed. Those that are looking for solutions for TV antennas, may find the info of interest: Need to make a 1 1/8" mast. Because it's in General Chat and not a protected forum, I believe guests can read the text and view the pictures.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:51 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Scamp 16 ft / 2003 Durango
Donna D,
This is what I got when I tried your link.

Bill K
Sorry, but you do not have permission to view this forum. Please register first and then log in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Right now on CasitaForum, there is a thread going on mounting an exterior mast for an Anemometer which is used for determining wind speed. The OP is looking for suggestions on a non-permanent mast but something that can be deployed as needed. Those that are looking for solutions for TV antennas, may find the info of interest: Need to make a 1 1/8" mast. Because it's in General Chat and not a protected forum, I believe guests can read the text and view the pictures.
Bill K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #17

Well dang, I just logged out of CasitaForum and General Chat is a protected forum, only the Rallies and Classifieds aren't protected.

Sorry group, you'll need to be a member of CasitaForum to view/read. But it's easy to join, if you care too.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:28 AM   #18

Good Lord...

Doug,
I think you just helped me narrow down my options. Why would I want stuff that is so difficult to purchase and set up? I think I'll stick with my BOOK and a set of Mexican Dominoes! That should do it for the TOY DEPT.
After all, I do love camping...walking, talking, meeting new people, seeing new Thrift Shops, new Farmer's Markets, etc. If I get all of the toys, I'll never get another Compact II guitar concert out of Stephen (and it's always FRONT ROW seats...anything in my TINY retro girl is front row, if not, on- the-lap-seats!).
On another subject...are you and Sandy planning on joining the ESCAPE camp meet that first week of June? I'm thinking of signing up for that one rather than the Glass Egg meet in May...the campsite and nearyby town has to be better than that of the Nor West's NEW SPOT...at least what I've heard from others. I miss going to Ft. Langley. That was such a sweet little site on the river and such a wonderful walk all over the town as well as a multitude of garage sales, with new and improved Canadian goodies for me to take back across the border and stuff into my already stuffed house!!!
Let me know and I'll sign up this week! I would love to get together with you guys, again.
Old 12-27-2010, 11:55 AM   #19

Registry
Bb, you've got a NEW personal message ....
Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #20

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Have you ever tried Hulu.com, has tons of complete tv shows for free (sitcoms, reality tv, just about anything on networks) and movies too, it is a really great website.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote