two singles into a double....BF 17 CB bed mod.... - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
two singles into a double....BF 17 CB bed mod....

in the bed department, forty one or two inches wide might be considered a twenty-somethings "in lust", maybe, but for me the BF 17 CB was always a nice little trailer with two single at each it has a "V-berth" at the back and a sitting/dressing area at the front...

I started by cutting the table down two inches and a bit where it meets the forward bulkhead...this made it the length of the space between the fridge and the kitchen cabinet (as a by-product it also greatly enhanced the access to the left dinette seat which was really a squeeze to get into)

next I built/devised a support for the table that would also double as a storage box for cleaners, rags, WHY.....this thing lives under the right dinette seat....then I fastened an aluminium angle piece (1"x1") to the face of the rear "sofa"

so now after the rear sofa gets pulled out, the table gets lifted out (I removed the "keepers" and filed the sockets that the rod rests in)....the "support/storage box" gets lifted out and placed across the aisle....the table gets dropped on the angle piece and of the dinette seats or seat backs gets used to cover the table...the bedding that lives in the rear closet gets deployed....and I end up with a berth that is 40 inches wide for the first three feet or so and SIX FEET wide the rest of the way.....

the dinette area, without the table will make a nice sitting/lounging area and used as a "dressing room" the storage above the dinette will be partionned off to hold clothes and linen.....also note that the bathroom door was turned upside down so it now opens the other way...

I will have to do two posts because it takes eight pictures to tell this story
Attached Thumbnails
bedmod1.jpg   bedmod2.jpg  

bedmod3.jpg   bedmod4.jpg  

Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
British Columbia
second post.....

the rest of the pictures....
Attached Thumbnails
bedmod5.jpg   bedmod7.jpg  

bedmod8.jpg   bedmod9.jpg  

Old 11-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Name: Hillary
Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Cool!! This is similar to the bed extension we and others have had done in Escapes, even down to the detail that it basically blocks the fridge We love sleeping this way. Great job!
Hillary & Jeff
Camping with the sighthound variety pack and leaving 4 cats at home
hillary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Hi we owned a 95 BF17CB we set up the dinette in the front into a bed. Used the rear sofa for sitting. I saw a 2009 BF17.5 the factory made the front into a real bed and a dinette in the rear. Escape 17 has a better plan.
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
Trailer: 1999 Scamp 13 ft and 2003 Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17CB)
Thanks for the idea Francois. We may consider it, as you say the 42 inch wide bed is getting close to the limit. What year is your BF, and what do you do about a table?
Thanks, Tony
Tony Nowak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
British Columbia
the year of my BF is 1997 (a "1500" model)....using the table as a bed extension does make it an "either/or" proposition....when the bed is made up you don't have a table, and vice-versa (I might devise a coffee table of some sort in the future when the real table is part of the bed...still thinking on that one) I said though, NOT having the table there (and up) when you're in the sleeping,showering or the getting dressed mode seems to be a plus so far (more square footage to move around in)...

as the comic said...."you can't have everything....where would you put it?"....

these "17.5" trailers are only fourteen feet inside...expecting to have a permanent comfortable double bed AND a four person dinette functioning all at the same time might be asking a little too much...just what I think....I'm new to this...but I definitely want to keep it small...I don't want to tow anything bigger...not where I want to go. Cheers, F
Attached Thumbnails