U-Haul CT13 Build - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #1

Name: Erica
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Florida
U-Haul CT13 Build

We purchased this 1984 U-Haul CT13 a few months ago. I have been doing some research on deciding what changes we want to make. It came without the propane tank, stove, furnace or air conditioner. The following link shows the way it was built when we got it:

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...lake-placid-fl

Our build will include at least:
- Replace door hinges.
- Replace door seal. If needed.
- Install a door bug screen.
- Replace icebox with an ARB 50qt fridge mounted on an SCT sideway fridge slide.
- Install a portable A/C and heating unit in the closet. It is a Friedrich 8000 BTU unit. Depending on weight and ease of maneuverability, might have to mount it on a slide and lazy susan.
- Replace and relocate water/utility hatch.
- Replace the 16 gallon water tank with a 6 or 10 gallon water tank. Space and price will decide.
- Replace and relocate the grey water tank.
- Add a fire extinguisher. I like the recessed one but might interfere with the A/C in the closet. Where can I find the recess tray for the fire extinguisher?
- Reinforce the upper bunk by changing from wood screws to machine screws and t-nuts.
- Rebuild all the windows.
- Replace rear window with a Scamp one. Unless I can find the type that the glass swings out.
- Replace custom tongue box.
- Relocate batteries from rear inside storage to a new tongue box.
- Relocate power converters and cord as needed.
- Replace clearance lights and reflectors. Rewire as needed.
- Replace taillights if needed.
- Install an awning.
- Repair fiberglass and floor as needed.
- Strip poliglow and polish gel coat fiberglass. Paint shell if needed.
- Strip frame and repaint. (Optional)
- Replace all body mount bolts.

I am sure I have missed some other items of interest.
Attached Thumbnails
CT13.JPG   IMG_0560.jpg  

Erica.Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:19 PM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Erica,
Wow--quite a list you've got there!
I found the link below for a recessed bracket/holder for a small fire extinguisher on Amazon a while back:
https://www.amazon.com/Extinguisher-...ecessed+holder
[hope that link works okay]

And, there are info links on this site, as well as over on the Facebook U-Haul forum, for information on rebuilding windows... and the specific hinge models that swap for the ones our U-Hauls came with.

Best of luck with the refurbishing!
Gary
Old 07-31-2017, 07:24 PM   #3

Name: Andy
Trailer: Uhaul
Missouri
I have an ice box, sink, water tank and stove I removed from my 84 ct. 314-250-3287
Andy Sigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #4

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
I have a stove for you

What a great project. I started out wanting a U-Haul and bought a 1999 Casita 16" Spirit. I removed the stove, range hood, and propane tank holder. Nothing wrong with the, I just needed to remove stove because of my autistic niece. Then I didn't need tank cause nothing else is propane. There are photos below. The man just took the cover off the stove and made me a counter top. The guts of the stove are in the camper. If you want them, I will see about getting the burners removed. I will trade you all these items for the custom tongue box. What is it made of? What does it have to attach to the tongue? Where are you located?
Attached Thumbnails
stove 1.jpg   stove 2.jpg  

Old 08-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #5

Florida
I definitely do not have any of the propane appliances or the tank holder. Is that the original range hood you got there under the stove?

I am in Florida. The box is made of perforated angle welded together, that can be bought at the major hardware stores. On two sides it has metal screen welded on and the other two sides and top are wood. The top has a hinge. The bottom looks like it came from a street sign. The box is welded on two places to the tongue. But could easily be removed. It was used for a Honda generator by the previous owner. Yes I would trade, if that is what you wanted. However, if you are in Indiana, it would be expensive to ship and for that kind of money you could buy a tongue box of similar size.
Old 08-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #6

Florida
Fridge setup

Here is a tease picture for the refrigerator setup. The reason for choosing this setup is because we want to be able to use it with and without the camper.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge.JPG  
Old 08-17-2017, 07:53 PM   #7

Florida
Drawer brackets

Today I started fabricating the brackets to mount the SCT drawer. I used 8" U-Channel. This will allow me to install a 6 gallon water tank under the drawer.
I will have to relocate the utility hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Bracket.JPG   Brackets.JPG  

Brackets_tops.JPG  
Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 AM   #8

Florida
Temporarily mounted the slide to the brackets. This is how it will sit inside the cabinet. I will fit a 6 gallon water tank under the slide.
Attached Thumbnails
Fridge_setup.JPG  
Old 08-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #9

Florida
Progress

Today we accomplished a few things on the camper. First, cut the front of the cabinet and do a fit check of the fridge setup. Things are not bolted in place yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Cabinet cut.JPG   Slide out.JPG  

Fridge in cabinet.JPG  
Old 08-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #10

Florida
Second was to remove the utility hatch as it interfered with the fridge. Went ahead and made a temporary close out panel. I will mount a new utility hatch up and to the rear in front of the window. Third was to remove the tongue box.
Attached Thumbnails
Utility hatch removed.JPG   Nobox.JPG  

Tags
u-haul