U-Haul restomod - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #41

Name: Dave
Trailer: U-Haul CT
Missouri
OK. I guess rational reasoning and practical thought (yours) have overridden gut level emotional reaction. I will be patching the hole and soft spots and not trying to replace the entire floor. The attached photo shows the first replacement in place. It will get another coat and the underside will also get fibergalssed. The soft section in the rear will get a similar treatment. I am thinking I will then put down a layer of underlayment to level out the floor prior to laying down a new vinyl floor.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0075.jpg  
EXCS_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #42

Missouri
Oh yes, the Grill was a fooler, Mr. Steve, because it is totally hand built.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #43

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Dave

I have stripmy down all the way so if you have any question just send me a mp and will do my best to help you out !

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #44

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCS_CT View Post
OK. I guess rational reasoning and practical thought (yours) have overridden gut level emotional reaction. I will be patching the hole and soft spots and not trying to replace the entire floor. The attached photo shows the first replacement in place. It will get another coat and the underside will also get fibergalssed. The soft section in the rear will get a similar treatment. I am thinking I will then put down a layer of underlayment to level out the floor prior to laying down a new vinyl floor.
Nice work and QUICK!. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, all that protects the plywood from rot is the fiberglass coating. When ever I put a hole in my floor, I drill the hole oversize, tape the bottom, fill with resin, let it cure, then drill the hole size I need in the resin. The result is a sealed floor. The vents I used were about 3/4" in diameter.

Here is what I used for a drain in my floor.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #45

Name: Steve and Janna
Trailer: '02 Scamp 13
North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
When ever I put a hole in my floor, I drill the hole oversize, tape the bottom, fill with resin, let it cure, then drill the hole size I need in the resin. The result is a sealed floor.
Smart !!!

I am copying that idea.
Steve_N_Janna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #46

Missouri
Well, I was finally able to get back to my shop to work on our CT floor. I cut out the soft section in the rear and replaced it with new plywood. It was in a difficult location to ct it out. So, I used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It worked fine until I got to the solid wood. It was evident when I hit good wood because I got a great deal of smoke. It may be hard to see but I attached a picture to show a bit of the smoke.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0076.jpg  
Old 11-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #47

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCS_CT View Post
Well, I was finally able to get back to my shop to work on our CT floor. I cut out the soft section in the rear and replaced it with new plywood. It was in a difficult location to ct it out. So, I used my angle grinder with a cut off wheel. It worked fine until I got to the solid wood. It was evident when I hit good wood because I got a great deal of smoke. It may be hard to see but I attached a picture to show a bit of the smoke.
Great! Sure beats doing a whole floor replacement. How many other bad spots are there?
Old 11-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #48

Missouri
I think only one more. I may be able to tackle it tomorrow. Then maybe I can get to filling some holes left over from removing the furnace, etc.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #49

Missouri
final floor patch

I finally got back to the shop today. I repaired the last floor problem (I hope). I do still need to get under the CT to coat the patches with resin. I removed the hitch, cleaned it and painted it. I also got around to removing the rear bumper to make it easier to get to the rear of the camper in preparation for paint.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #50

Missouri
The gas line is now out. We don't intend to use gas for cooking or heat. I got some of the frame cleaned and painted. The wood seat boards are now coated with urethane. They will get and additional coat tomorrow, I hope. Oh, yes I also worked on the the shell filling small holes and cleaning the surface. There's still a lot of it to go though.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0079.jpg   IMAG0078.jpg  

Tags
u-haul