U-Haul restomod - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: U-Haul CT
Missouri
U-Haul restomod

Just beginning the work on our U-Haul 13' CT. Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
_DAB4257 small.jpg   _DAB4258sml.jpg  

_DAB4264sml.jpg   _DAB4266sml.jpg  

EXCS_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I see the swamp cooler still on it, what about the tail lights, do you have them. Is the grey stripe paint over the original decals? Looks like a project that will keep you busy for awhile, lots of good info on this site.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #3

Missouri
The swamp cooler is in place but will not be too long. I intend to replace it with an air conditioner with a heat strip. We intend to camp mostly in the warm months. The trailer side has been painted and there are no decals. I'm planning on an overall paint job to cover repairs to the jell coat that are needed.
I hope to have it ready to use next Summer.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Dave, welcome to FiberglassRV!

Lots of members here with U-Hauls so you'll have a large number of folks interested in following your rebuild... me included

Thanks for posting pictures
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #5

New York
Decals may be painted over? It was probably company policy to de-ID the campers when they were sold off, some had the decals removed, some were painted over, some covered with another plain decal, and some were left as original. We just installed the reproduction decals on ours. As for a roof A/C unit, I'm not sure the roof is strong enough for that extra weight. I installed a Fantastic Fan roof vent on ours, replaced all the tail light wiring, rewired the 110 volt system, replaced the power converter, removed the solar panel as they weren't intended to charge the battery, replaced the rear window and side windows, and removed the inoperative furnace. We use a small electric heater. We'll be in our camper December through February. The Uhaul service manual is in the document center here.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

Name: Pat
Trailer: U-Haul VT
California
Bob....you seem to have such good solutions to problems...this is Jane from SC..I am in Ca helping my sister with her UHaul that I talked her into buying. Problem is her gelcoat inside and out has been randomly painted with the hardest paint ever. It looks like if there as a scratch or a ding someone dabbed paint. It does not come off without major work. Is there any safe product you would recommend dor getti g this paint off...saw on a boat website that they tried oven cleaner...scared me to death to think that would work....or do you know od threads that have addresses this situation???? Stay safe on the East coast...if you are on the road near SC ...Greg will take you in. Jane
pktajensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pktajensen View Post
Bob....you seem to have such good solutions to problems...........Jane
Not Bob, but here are search results on this site: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/m...+gelcoat&sa=Go
Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #8

The only thing that I see that looks tough is the missing tail light. UHaul still sells the aluminum round light adapters for about $15 each. Otherwise, some scrubbing and fixing up should yield a usable camper. UHaul also carries the 3 light strip over the rear window and the clearance lights.

Bob's right about the roof supporting an air conditioner, but that can be reinforced internally or externally - the carpet on the ceiling is already out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3693.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #9

New York
Thanks Tom, I don't have a real good answer on this one. Problem is we don't know what the previous owner used. When we stripped 4 layers of paint off our teardrop we used Zip Strip, but the teardrop is aluminum. The Zip Strip would loosen some of the paint, and some it wouldn't. You may just have to experiment with different methods. I didn't read through what Tom referred to so that should be your starting point. And did your sister get the new windows? It's noon here and the wind is just starting to pick up, no rain yet, I'm ready for it. Bob
Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #10

New York
Back to Dave's camper, Tom what's your opinion on installing an A/C unit? And our Uhaul has individual rear marker lights, not a 3 light strip. And do we know of anyone here who has used that tail light adapter? I know some of us, me included, have bought them as a last resort solution if needed at some future time. I was just in my local NAPA parts store that also is a Uhaul rental agent, and we were discussing the campers, and the tail light issue came up. Napa has a tail light repair kit, not the tape, but some red & amber & clear strips for repairing lights.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Back to Dave's camper, Tom what's your opinion on installing an A/C unit?
Bob, I agree that unless the roof is reinforced, it will sag under the load of an AC unit. That said, if you are doing a whole repaint / refurb, I think that you could easily glass in some aluminum ribs to the ceiling or roof to get the weight out to the sides.

Quote:
And our UHaul has individual rear marker lights, not a 3 light strip.
I wonder if that is because you have an early model??

Quote:
And do we know of anyone here who has used that tail light adapter? I know some of us, me included, have bought them as a last resort solution if needed at some future time.
Yea, I bought a pair, too. Randy Bishop bought two UHauls and was going to redo them with his son. He was selling his old taillights and going with the aluminum adapters. I haven't seen him post for awhile.

Quote:
I was just in my local NAPA parts store that also is a UHaul rental agent, and we were discussing the campers, and the tail light issue came up. Napa has a tail light repair kit, not the tape, but some red & amber & clear strips for repairing lights.
Would it be big enough to bend into a whole new lens?
Old 10-29-2012, 12:25 PM   #12

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
My 2 cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Bob, I agree that unless the roof is reinforced, it will sag under the load of an AC unit. That said, if you are doing a whole repaint / refurb, I think that you could easily glass in some aluminum ribs to the ceiling or roof to get the weight out to the sides.

I wonder if that is because you have an early model??

Yea, I bought a pair, too. Randy Bishop bought two UHauls and was going to redo them with his son. He was selling his old taillights and going with the aluminum adapters. I haven't seen him post for awhile.

Would it be big enough to bend into a whle new lens?
Well my roof has not caved in yet with the Coleman TSR (w/heat strip)a/c that was on the unit when I bought it last year. It is, however, partially being supported by the solar panel which it is covering partway to the rear. I AGREE that additional support on the left side would be preferable but also installing a smaller lightweight unit up there would greatly help. I could not have enjoyed the hot summer down here without my ac!

For the second penny, I made my own tail light lenses last year with curved
sheets of lexan and reflective lens material I bought at autostores, etc. I retained the amber top lens and also put reflective tape in the sides. I sandwiched all of this together and have been humbly pleased with the results. In other words, I was able to retain the original design and only slightly modified the lens as far as the appearance is concerned. I finished the installation with replacement LEDs that fit the original incandesant sockets. IMHO it has been a great improvement over what I had but I am still in line for the 'Lanny lenses' should they appear!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Uhaul Tail light lens by don.jpg  
Old 10-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
........ I made my own tail light lenses last year with curved sheets of lexan and reflective lens material I bought at autostores.......
Very creative! I'd love to see more pictures of it installed and illuminated.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:34 PM   #14

Florida
Registry
Another UHAUL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCS_CT View Post
Just beginning the work on our U-Haul 13' CT. Here are some pictures.
Mr. Dave,
Congrats, it looks like a diamond in the rough! Glad to see it being rescued.
I wish you happy restoring of your little gem.

www.uhaulcamper.com
Old 10-29-2012, 12:48 PM   #15

Florida
Registry
Pics need to be taken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Very creative! I'd love to see more pictures of it installed and illuminated.
Mr. Tom,
Thanks, I do need to take some and also I have never showed off the 'new Goosler decals' or the Zep 3 (Red Maxx 3)job yet...
Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Mr. Tom,
Thanks, I do need to take some and also I have never showed off the 'new Goosler decals' or the Zep 3 (Red Maxx 3)job yet...
Mr. Don, I'll wait right here.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #17

New York
Would it be big enough to bend into a whle new lens?[/QUOTE]

No, it was just narrow strips, one each red, amber, clear. I didn't look close but it seems like you couldn't do much of a repair with it.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:31 PM   #18

Missouri
Bob, Thanks for te suggestion to reinforce the roof to hold the AC. I had originally thought about that but in the midst of taking the camper apart I had forgotten. I will be reinforcing it while everything is out and easy to get to it.
I removed most of the windows today and vacuumed out all of the critter leavings. Obviously, the missing tail lights gave a convenient access port for
them.
I purchased the replacement tail light housings and will see if I can use them. Or, if I like their look.

Here are a couple of images as it stands today. Notice that it appears to be sitting on the shop floor. That's because the 7' high garage door was too short. So It now sits on some automotive skates to lower it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0059.jpg   IMAG0055.jpg  

IMAG0058.jpg   IMAG0057.jpg  

Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #19

New York
It was Tom with the reinforcing suggestion. There is a member in upstate NY here with a CT13 that has a sagging roof. Don't know what caused it. Haven't heard from her in awhile, wanted to show her our camper before we head south. There was some discussion a while back about how the VT16 Uhauls were originally equipped with A/C units, but the CT13's were not designed for the weight. In our part of the country we don't need it. Looks like your camper was really neglected by its previous owner. Note that I replaced our rear window with one from Scamp by slightly widening the opening. Nice that you have it inside to work on, a good winter project.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #20

Missouri
I worked on the trailer for a short while this AM. I removed the back window and started to convert the tail lights to LEDs.
I have the fiberglass resin and mesh to reinforce the top of the trailer for the air conditioner. With some luck I may get to work on it this weekend.
Thanks for your information. I'd love to see what you have done to yours.

Tags
u-haul