U-Haul Stove Replacement Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #1

Name: Shelley
Trailer: 1985 13ft U-haul
Alberta
U-Haul Stove Replacement Question

I want to create a little more workable counter space but I don't want to give up the convience of having an indoor stove during those rainy(and occasional snowy) camping weekends. Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the original stove with a flush mount stove? Suggestions on which brand works best and the best place to purchase a new one.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Shelley
skeithczayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
How about just making a flat cover to set on top of it. We don't use water in our CT, so we have a cutting board over the sink, notched to fit around the faucet. That is where we put our TV if we take it with us.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 06:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
We cover our stove (and sink) with Walmart cutting boards. Of course, our camper is a VT, but you could modify the design. A couple of links:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...age-26517.html (Burro table extensions)

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...e-50670-3.html (my description of how hubby extended the counter using Walmart cutting boards that he cut up. I use the extensions for washing dishes. I put a cutting board over the stove)

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeithczayka View Post
I want to create a little more workable counter space but I don't want to give up the convience of having an indoor stove during those rainy(and occasional snowy) camping weekends. Does anyone have instructions on how to replace the original stove with a flush mount stove? Suggestions on which brand works best and the best place to purchase a new one.
Any help would be great
Thanks
Shelley
Someone here installed this in their UHaul, but they paid less:

NEW RV SMEV DOMETIC 8000 SERIES COOKTOP STOVETOP | eBay
Old 05-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #5

Trailer: Teardrop
Registry
I also use a cutting board over the sink and a fold up cutting board.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ate-43856.html
Jim_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:18 AM   #6

Alberta
Thanks for all of the suggestions. After pondering it for awhile I decided that I don't really need to have a stove inside of the trailer. I have a compact reliable camping stove that has served me well for many years in rain, snow and sun.

I pulled out the stove leaving a great space to add a storage bin. I picked up an office sized recycle bin from Wal-Mart that fits perfectly into the hole and added a cutting board to the top. To prevent the board from sliding around I added four legs to the bottom which slip snugly inside the bin. I didn’t permanently attach the bin to counter so that I could use it to carry my cooking/ eating supplies outside during meal time.

Since I no longer have a stove I removed the hood fan and added a new light. Unfortunately removing the fan left a 7” x 3” hole on the inside of the trailer. The metal vent on the outside works great to stop rain from coming in but it doesn’t stop bugs and other crawly things so I added a small screen.

My project for this week is the figure out how to cap off the old propane line and possibly remove the water tank. I am not too sure how to do either so if anyone has instructions feel free to pass them along.
Cheers
Shelley
Old 05-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #7

New York
The line can be capped off with a fitting and plug, or there are caps that go into a flare nut. Without looking at ours I don't remember where the line has a "T" fitting to feed the furnace and stove, you could eliminate the T. Uhaul had a piping update that may have been done to yours, look in the repair manual. Are you using the furnace? Ours has proven to be unreliable, even after cleaning it and adjusting, so I'm going to remove it. When we winter in the south it is at campgrounds with electric so we use an electric heater. When you do cap the stove line be sure to check it with soapy water with the tank on, look for bubbles that will indicate a leak. Bob
Old 05-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #8

Alberta
Thanks, for the info.
I am actually looking into converting the old stove line to a low flow flex line that could be hooked up to a BBQ. I borrowed the idea from my parent's trailer that has an exterior propane hook up for their BBQ and camp stove. It has a flex line that you can access through a small utility door on the side of the trailer where the door is.

So far it looks pretty straight forward however it may have to wait until I work up the nerve to cut a small access hole in the trailer. I will have to ponder it for awhile because I really don't want to make any changes to the exterior.

Funny thing is when I bought 'Betty' the only thing that really had to be done was to replace the floor and give the inside a good scrub. After seeing what everyone else has done I have so many things that I want to do I can't seem to figure out where to start.

Maybe I should listen to my kids and just leave things be so that we can get in as much camping as possible before they head off to school in the fall.

Happy Camping
Old 05-30-2012, 05:40 AM   #9

New York
Ok Shelly; think about this, you have a propane line that originates outside the trailer, then goes inside and is disconnected, and you want to run it back outside. Why not just tap into the line outside in the first place? You would need some knowledge of the correct fittings to use but it can be done easily. I did this on my daughters' popup with a "T" fitting right on the tank, a short piece of copper, and a gas valve. Her trailer also had the stove top that could be used inside and moved outside by quick couplers and valves, but we have since eliminated the stove completely and she uses a Coleman Road Trip grill supplied by a 10 pound tank. Note that if you look online for one of those the correct name is "cylinder", but everyone refers to them as "propane tanks". I formerly worked as a service tech for a fuel oil/propane supplier so I was familiar with all the fittings. And another question, do you use the furnace, because if not then you don't need propane into the trailer at all. If you still want to hook into that old stove line, maybe you could run it out where the power cord and water fill are, that's where I put the cable for our TV antenna. Bob
Old 05-30-2012, 09:35 AM   #10

Alberta
I thought about the option of removing the furnace and just using an electric heater but we generally camp in remote location that don't have any services. The furnace would be nice in early spring an late fall when we tend to get snowed on.

I have a t-adapter on the propane tank right now that has a flex hose, it is removed while in transit but I think I want something that I didn't have to take off. However the option of cooking inside appeals to my hubby who doesn't enjoy the brisk morning of cold weather camping.

So if I wanted to mod the existing stove line so that I could hook up our camp stove inside what would I need to do?

I think that a flexible low flow adapter line with some sort of shut off valve would work but I am not too sure about the placement of the shut off valve. I am guessing that between the copper line and flex line would be best?

Tags
u-haul