Uh, Never Mind! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Uh, Never Mind!

I just went over to look at my 1984 Scamp 5er to confirm that I have enough space to install a Y between the grey and black water outlets. I'm laying under there looking and thinking to myself about all the little angles and bends when I notice, for the very first time, leaf springs. What the h--- GRRRRRRR!
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Wow is right. That's NOT factory. Doesn't mean it's not good, just not stock.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #3

Registry
The good news is that if the axle didn't need to travel, via leaf springs, I could have slipped the grey water line between the floor and the axle. The bad news is that it has absolutely no bearing on a stock Scamp because the mod is sooooo radical I don't know if there is any room on a stock Scamp.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
But if it works for YOU Steve, you're good to go!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 AM   #5

Registry
Not that I mind the leaf springs per se. The problem now is that I have to allow for the axle itself to travel rather than just the ends of the axle. Plumbing can't go above it or it'll get crushed and can't go below or it'll get ripped out. A whole new set of problems presents itself. Will definately take further study.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:37 AM   #6

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
You could attach stop blocks to the top of the axle to prevent over travel in the up direction. They would need to be located so that they impacted on the frame or reinforce the floor.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 AM   #7

Registry
I only had about 1 1/4" clearance between the floor and the axle. I was going to heat and flatten the 1 1/2" pipe where it went through the gap.

Now as a quick fix I'll try and rig some type of small diameter flexible hose. The smaller diameter should be ok as it will be open and draining constantly while hooked up and I can use the sewer hose to drain it if it is at capacity. Still not an optimum solution but with my current "surprise" leaf spring axle and all the other mods I need to do this winter it has fallen a bit lower on the priority list.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
that tube can be collapsable, and they make rubber hose in just about everysize. bet you can find some to do that job. just have to watch it doesn't rub a hole. buy enough to replace a section if needed in the future .
Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
I only had about 1 1/4" clearance between the floor and the axle. I was going to heat and flatten the 1 1/2" pipe where it went through the gap.

Now as a quick fix I'll try and rig some type of small diameter flexible hose. The smaller diameter should be ok as it will be open and draining constantly while hooked up and I can use the sewer hose to drain it if it is at capacity. Still not an optimum solution but with my current "surprise" leaf spring axle and all the other mods I need to do this winter it has fallen a bit lower on the priority list.

I hope you're talking about the drain on your gray water tank, not the black water.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:21 PM   #10

Registry
"I hope you're talking about the drain on your gray water tank, not the black water."

Of course I'm talking about the Grey water LOL! Would be a little difficult squezzing all that Black water waste through a flattened drain pipe!