UHaul CT 13 remove heater add AC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

Name: Lauri
Trailer: UHaul CT 13
Florida
Smile UHaul CT 13 remove heater add AC

The PO of my UHaul had a new AC in the rear window. I removed it because it was not weatherproofed and water leaked in. Since I want to remove the propane heater (I live in warm FL) and the propane stove too, I am thinking of keeping the AC and installing it into the closet like another I read about on this forum RE: Marty D - selling UHaul 13 OH. I am hoping there is helpful advice and solutions to doing this. I acknowledge that this changes the original items but I am customizing this trailer for my wants and needs and for my daughter who has already claimed it upon my eventual demise. - Would especially like to hear from someone who has done this. Thanks!

Chaco (aka Lauri)
Chaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Lauri, I removed the propane heater also in mine, then installed a Propane Olympic Wave heater on the wall as you walk through the door. This is next to the original gas lines so it was easy to do. This also frees up much needed space in the area of old furnace. Some people have put a pull out drawer in that area. There are lots of threads on this subject within this site, just go up and hit on the google search button.
I suggest holding off on the stove removal for a little while and camp with it. Because on a rainy day, it is so nice to make coffee inside or heat up soup. I took mine out, sanded it then primed it, then spray painted it with high heat engine paint and reinstalled. Looks fine and works. You can cover it with a tray or something when not in use and have extra counter space.
Eventually I will remove the AC located in my back window also. In the meantime I cove it with a tight fitting Small Turk grill cover. This helps keep out the rain. Loads of good info here just search for it. Good luck.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Florida
Thanks for the input. I'll keep the ideas in mind.Another thought is if I keep the AC and reinstall it next spring it is easy enough to put in when needed but I'll have to come up with a good seal since there is clearances on both sides, top and bottom for rain to get in. It is held up with a custom iron stand with a box to support it in the window. The Turk cover sounds interesting...
Lauri
Old 11-13-2015, 08:40 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Lauri, I removed the two-burner stove, furnace, LP Bottle, and all copper tubing from my 13' Scamp.

The furnace was old and not working, and the stove top was rusted. However, the main reason I removed the furnace and stove was to rid the trailer of the heavy LP bottle.

I'm going to use a cheap Asian one-burner Butane stoves (sold for about $14.00 at many Asian markets), I have used these stoves in several boats, and the small butane canister are easy to use, plus the striker on the stove makes lighting the stove a snap.

http://oomur.pair.com/wwpotter/image...ve,%20etc..jpg

The stove will be mounted on a hard surface where the two-burner stove was installed, or kept in it's hard case for use inside or outside.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Florida
Yes, I have seen those in the Asian markets and thought about picking one up to try. I am used to cooking outside and just want to be able to make our coffee inside in the mornings (we use small cappuccino makers).

So how hard was it to remove the furnace and disconnect the propane lines?

I haven't decided if I will remove the lines or air out and cap them off. I would like to remove all propane items so I will see if it will be easier to remove the lines when I take out the furnace or take the lines out later.

Was this something you did alone or did you have help taking the propane furnace and lines out?

Thanks,
Lauri
Old 11-14-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I removed both the stove and furnace from our Uhaul.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaco View Post
Yes, I have seen those in the Asian markets and thought about picking one up to try. I am used to cooking outside and just want to be able to make our coffee inside in the mornings (we use small cappuccino makers).

So how hard was it to remove the furnace and disconnect the propane lines?

I haven't decided if I will remove the lines or air out and cap them off. I would like to remove all propane items so I will see if it will be easier to remove the lines when I take out the furnace or take the lines out later.

Was this something you did alone or did you have help taking the propane furnace and lines out?

Thanks,
Lauri
Lauri, I didn't have any help, but removing my furnace wasn't all that hard, but, I was lucky, and the two sections of the furnace's fresh air and discharge air pipe was not rusted together. There are illustrations of different furnaces in the Document section of this forum that might show you how your furnace fit together.

My furnace was the Suburban Model GT6-3A. I have a Owners Manual for it.

Removing the copper LP pipes wasn't easy because the connections are difficult to reach, and were hard to break free. Looking back, it may have been better to tape off the open connections and leave the pipe in place as someday I or some other owner might want to install a great stove top, or even a furnace.

If you decide to remove the furnace or/and stove, I or other more talented folks on this forum will be glad to furnish you with more details.

Good luck,

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul