UHaul CT Closet Shelves - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #15

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
I have one of those plastic Wally world shelves in mine and discovered that I needed
a lip on the open ends so stuff won't slide on the shelves. Ended up putting wire trays on the shelves. It works good. I am sure clothes would be fine. I store can goods, food and pots and pans in there. Every one's needs are different though.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #16

Virginia
I like the fact you used materials that were laying around.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My Uhaul doesn't have that recessed area for a fire extinguisher Tom, apparently you have a newer model trailer that had several improvements over the first models. I have several fire extinguishers that were in trucks and had been partially discharged. We have a local place that does inspections and recharges fire extinguishers so I took 3 in and had them recharged, cost about $25 for all three. They told me don't bother with the ones that have plastic handles and valves because they are prone to leak. I can't tell what size strap you would need, but some Yakima bike racks use a nice rubber strap that should be about the right length and has a few holes in it. I think they are called "World Straps" as the end you grasp to pull on looks like half of a globe. Bob
Old 04-28-2012, 04:49 PM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Diane: Our trailer bounces so much that a few times the closet door has come open and things fall out, even clothes that we have stacked on the shelves. I have to come up with a way to hold it shut better when traveling. We have the early model plastic latch that you release by pushing in on the end, not the good turn type as used on the later models. We travel with the curtains open so I can look right through the trailer, and can see when the closet door is open. It's amazing how much this thing bounces, but it doesn't affect the car at all. Bob
Old 04-28-2012, 04:50 PM   #19

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
They told me don't bother with the ones that have plastic handles and valves because they are prone to leak.
Plastic topped extinguishers are non rechargeable units.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #20

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Thomas,

Great job! I

like your idea of making improvements that are 100% reversible.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:58 PM   #21

Virginia
Quote:
Diane: Our trailer bounces so much that a few times the closet door has come open and things fall out, even clothes that we have stacked on the shelves. I have to come up with a way to hold it shut better when traveling. We have the early model plastic latch that you release by pushing in on the end, not the good turn type as used on the later models. We travel with the curtains open so I can look right through the trailer, and can see when the closet door is open. It's amazing how much this thing bounces, but it doesn't affect the car at all. Bob
Bob, the wire trays I use have rubber square stoppers on the bottom and they do not slide. I got them at a yard sale. They are made for stackable files on an office desk. HA, dual purpose.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #22

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Good posts about securing fire extinguishers. Took a trip last summer up to Eastern Sierras above Bishop. Pulled into campsite, opened trailer door and the interior was coated in yellow dust. Took alittle while to figure out the extinguisher had fallen and gone off. NOT A GOOD THING !!!!! The new one is now very securely fastened down.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #23

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Good posts about securing fire extinguishers. Took a trip last summer up to Eastern Sierras above Bishop. Pulled into campsite, opened trailer door and the interior was coated in yellow dust. Took alittle while to figure out the extinguisher had fallen and gone off. NOT A GOOD THING !!!!! The new one is now very securely fastened down.
I bet you learned the hard way about not inhaling that crap.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #24

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Oh my gosh. Thank you for the reminder. I don't have a fire extinguisher in my new-to-me burro!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
That looks great.
I posted a thread about the shelves I made (which was inspired by another older thread). I think I like your solution better, I might have to upgrade.

Shelves and drawers in Uhaul CT13 closet

Bridget
Old 05-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #26

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget T View Post
That looks great.
I posted a thread about the shelves I made (which was inspired by another older thread). I think I like your solution better, I might have to upgrade.

Shelves and drawers in Uhaul CT13 closet

Bridget
Ah, so it was your idea that I stole. Thanks for the memory jog.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Bouncing too much, I'd worry about this because something is going on if you're on relatively smooth roads that aren't affecting the tug. Maybe more weight over the top of the trailer axle or more tongue weight? Or a worn out axle...... Hummmmm.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #28

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Nice work Thomas! You may want to consider adding a two or three inch lip across the front of the shelves to stop things from hitting the door should they slid around which is the number one cause of doors opening when they shouldn't.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
uhaul