UHaul CT Closet Shelves - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #21

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Diane: Our trailer bounces so much that a few times the closet door has come open and things fall out, even clothes that we have stacked on the shelves. I have to come up with a way to hold it shut better when traveling. We have the early model plastic latch that you release by pushing in on the end, not the good turn type as used on the later models. We travel with the curtains open so I can look right through the trailer, and can see when the closet door is open. It's amazing how much this thing bounces, but it doesn't affect the car at all. Bob
Bob, the wire trays I use have rubber square stoppers on the bottom and they do not slide. I got them at a yard sale. They are made for stackable files on an office desk. HA, dual purpose.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #22

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Good posts about securing fire extinguishers. Took a trip last summer up to Eastern Sierras above Bishop. Pulled into campsite, opened trailer door and the interior was coated in yellow dust. Took alittle while to figure out the extinguisher had fallen and gone off. NOT A GOOD THING !!!!! The new one is now very securely fastened down.
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #23

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Good posts about securing fire extinguishers. Took a trip last summer up to Eastern Sierras above Bishop. Pulled into campsite, opened trailer door and the interior was coated in yellow dust. Took alittle while to figure out the extinguisher had fallen and gone off. NOT A GOOD THING !!!!! The new one is now very securely fastened down.
I bet you learned the hard way about not inhaling that crap.
841K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 AM   #24

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Oh my gosh. Thank you for the reminder. I don't have a fire extinguisher in my new-to-me burro!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:35 PM   #25

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
That looks great.
I posted a thread about the shelves I made (which was inspired by another older thread). I think I like your solution better, I might have to upgrade.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...set-43117.html

Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget T View Post
That looks great.
I posted a thread about the shelves I made (which was inspired by another older thread). I think I like your solution better, I might have to upgrade.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...set-43117.html

Bridget
Ah, so it was your idea that I stole. Thanks for the memory jog.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 AM   #27

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Diane: Our trailer bounces so much that a few times the closet door has come open and things fall out, even clothes that we have stacked on the shelves. I have to come up with a way to hold it shut better when traveling. We have the early model plastic latch that you release by pushing in on the end, not the good turn type as used on the later models. We travel with the curtains open so I can look right through the trailer, and can see when the closet door is open. It's amazing how much this thing bounces, but it doesn't affect the car at all. Bob
Bouncing too much, I'd worry about this because something is going on if you're on relatively smooth roads that aren't affecting the tug. Maybe more weight over the top of the trailer axle or more tongue weight? Or a worn out axle...... Hummmmm.

YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:57 AM   #28

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Nice work Thomas! You may want to consider adding a two or three inch lip across the front of the shelves to stop things from hitting the door should they slid around which is the number one cause of doors opening when they shouldn't.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Nice work Thomas! You may want to consider adding a two or three inch lip across the front of the shelves to stop things from hitting the door should they slid around which is the number one cause of doors opening when they shouldn't.
Good idea, I may just add a strip of pine to the front edge.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 2002 13 ft Scamp
I did something very similar to this a while back (see pics here) and I just put that nonskid stuff on the shelves and I've never had a sliding problem. Tom, your shelves look great!

I get to go pick up my Scamp tomorrow--the semester is over, happy summer!
Karen B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen B. View Post
I did something very similar to this a while back (see pics here) and I just put that nonskid stuff on the shelves and I've never had a sliding problem. Tom, your shelves look great!

I get to go pick up my Scamp tomorrow--the semester is over, happy summer!
Thanks. Great idea on the non-skid rubber shelf liner.

I feel better now that I know that I stole this idea from several people.

Tags
uhaul