UHaul CT Closet Shelves - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-28-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
UHaul CT Closet Shelves

OK, I know that I blatantly stole this concept from someone here - I just don't recall from who and where.

I decided that I'd rather have shelves in the closet than space to hang a coat, so I decided to build in shelves. I've averse to modifying the trailer in a way that can't be undone, so I went for a free standing solution looking for light, strong and rustproof construction.

First, I made a cardboard shelf template and made sure it would fit in the closet at any height. Then I made 3 identical shelves from 1/4" plywood, with the center one having a divot for the fire extinguisher holder.

I drilled four 7/8" holes in the plywood shelves. I clamped them together and drilled all holes at once to assure they would be aligned.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3619.JPG  

Old 04-28-2012, 02:04 PM   #2

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Next I cut the PVC into sections such that the shelves rest on the coupler and another short section of pipe plugs into the coupler and extends up to support the next shelf.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3622.JPG  

Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 PM   #3

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
The top shelf gets little pipe caps to hold to all together. I didn't glue it, but may if I find that it bounces apart on rough roads.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3624.JPG  
Old 04-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Looks great!

CindyL
Old 04-28-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Tom, yours looks Great! Very practicle and a good cleaver solution. I remember the thread... I beleive it was a little different than yours. Yours is much more simple.
May I copy this...
Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I did it a little differently, I made side pieces from 1/4 inch plywood, then used quarter round wood screwed to those side pieces to support my shelves which are also quarter inch plywood. I have a couple pieces of one inch aluminum angle to fasten the sides to the bottom of the closet and a screw into the plywood sides from the outside, so there were the only two new holes I had to make in the fiberglass wall. I also made a back piece for the shelves so that nothing heavy can damage the outer shell of the trailer. All the material is stuff I had laying around. Our trailer had one of those little fire extinguishers that I replaced with a good 2 lb one with the metal valve, not plastic as they tend to leak. Bob
Old 04-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #7

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
........May I copy this...
Sure, I stole it anyway.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #8

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
I did it a little differently........ Bob
Bob, yours sounds more sturdy. Right now I'm thinking that I'll store light stuff in there like clothes.

Good advice on the fire extinguisher. Mine is missing the strap that holds in the extinguisher. Any idea what the original looked like or what a good replacement would be?
Old 04-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

Name: Logan
Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13'
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Bob, yours sounds more sturdy. Right now I'm thinking that I'll store light stuff in there like clothes.

Good advice on the fire extinguisher. Mine is missing the strap that holds in the extinguisher. Any idea what the original looked like or what a good replacement would be?
How old is your fire extinguisher?
You could just go out and buy a brand new ABC auto/RV extinguisher and it will come with a mount.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #10

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by 841K9 View Post
How old is your fire extinguisher?
You could just go out and buy a brand new ABC auto/RV extinguisher and it will come with a mount.
Right, but the UHaul has a built in mount, currently with no fire extinguisher. I'm looking to fit a new extinguisher using the current, recessed mount.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #11

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Right, but the UHaul has a built in mount, currently with no fire extinguisher. I'm looking to fit a new extinguisher using the current, recessed mount.
Do you have a picture of the mount or location?

My father in law works for a fire protection company-He knows almost every type of extinguisher and bracket at a glance.

With the exception of a 115 year old oddball that I found in a barn.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #12

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Do you have a picture of the mount or location?

My father in law works for a fire protection company-He knows almost every type of extinguisher and bracket at a glance.

With the exception of a 115 year old oddball that I found in a barn.
Here is a picture of the recessed holder and also a closeup of one of the little nubs that must have been part of the original holder strap.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3626.JPG   IMG_3627.JPG  

Old 04-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #13

Wisconsin
It should take a standard 5lb ABC extinguisher.
The little prongs would have clipped into the holes in a plastic strap.
I don't think anyone still sells the strap, but you may be able to use the rubber strap off of a pair of cheap knee pads from the hardware store.
My old Sandpiper had a similar mount and was missing the same parts.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #14

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
It should take a standard 5lb ABC extinguisher.
The little prongs would have clipped into the holes in a plastic strap.
I don't think anyone still sells the strap, but you may be able to use the rubber strap off of a pair of cheap knee pads from the hardware store.
My old Sandpiper had a similar mount and was missing the same parts.
Thanks. Good idea on the knee pad strap. I think I might have something like that from Harbor Freight.

Tags
uhaul