UHaul CT13 Updates Complete - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #15

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
Wow ... real craftsmanship on that mod Thomas!
Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Great job Thomas!

I hope we cross paths sometime.
Brooke, your kitchen inspired me to replace the faucet and look for other kitchen upgrades. X2 on paths crossing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
......... Hopefully your dear friend will warm up to that sweet CT 13!
Thanks. She is a brave girl and would attack a bear, but shivers at the thought of entering a small space like a shower....or a CT......but she will do anything for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Tom,
Looking GREAT, nicely done!!!

I wish you and yours (including the greyhound) to be HAPPY CAMPERS wherever you pull your UHaul!
Thanks. It is full circle for me. My first camper rental was a CT in 1985.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 PM   #16

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Absolutly a great job! Working on installing my three way fridge this weekend and would like you to give me some hint.

I the owner manuel (Dometic RM2193) the say that the unit should be in some kind of enclosure to avoid any combustion gaz to get inside the RV. On your pics you don't seem to have built any side wall.

An other question, the computer fan, did you connect it directly to the same wires of the fridge?

thanks for your help

Fred

Old 06-02-2012, 04:15 PM   #17

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Absolutly a great job! Working on installing my three way fridge this weekend and would like you to give me some hint.

I the owner manuel (Dometic RM2193) the say that the unit should be in some kind of enclosure to avoid any combustion gaz to get inside the RV. On your pics you don't seem to have built any side wall.

An other question, the computer fan, did you connect it directly to the same wires of the fridge?

thanks for your help

Fred
Fred, my photos don't show it, but I extended the styrene foam all the way from the counter front to the outside wall of the trailer and acrylic caulked the styrene to wall. (You can also use Gorilla glue) At the top, I used a thin piece of aluminum sheet to seal from the top of the refrigerator to the top of the upper vent. In the vicinity of the flame chamber, I glued heavier gauge aluminum sheet on the styrene to be sure it didn't melt.

I put two small switches inside the refrigerator and ran wires out the back to the 12 volt refrigerator power connection. The switches let me operate the inside and outside fan independently
Old 06-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #18

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
............. I also added a computer fan on top and inside to add additional ventilation in really hot conditions.
UPDATE:

I made a mistake mounting the fan directly to the heat exchanger, as shown. A plastic part in the fan melted and it died already. So, mount your fan where it does not directly contact the heat exchanger but can still direct air over the plates.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:03 PM   #19

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Tom, Your Ct is incredible! Masterfully crafted and engineered! I so appreciate all your advice and your willingness to share. Am wishing you all the very best on your many adventures to come, your dog will be fine because she will be with you both.
Great Job Tom! Happy Trails and hope to meet you one day.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #20

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Tom, Your Ct is incredible! Masterfully crafted and engineered! I so appreciate all your advice and your willingness to share. Am wishing you all the very best on your many adventures to come, your dog will be fine because she will be with you both.
Great Job Tom! Happy Trails and hope to meet you one day.
Thanks for the well wishes and kind words, Diane. I took the trailer out for exercise today to test the brakes and to adjust the brake controller. I think that I'm going to like having brakes.

I ran the fridge overnight on 120 volts and it was 32 degrees inside the fridge this AM, without running either the inside or outside computer fan. I'm anxious to test it out on a hot day to see how it maintains temperature.

I'm sure we'll cross paths soon enough, as we eggs are a cohesive bunch.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #21

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Wow. You really made your CT pristine. We are trying to get ours to look good. We have broken rock guard over the front windo. Noticed yours does not have one. Did you remove it? If so, how did you fill the holes? Thanks Jane and Greg. Gee, we would like to see your ct.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #22

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arkansas
Registry
Wow great job!! We are grandparents to a grayhound, Izzy likes to ride to the park but she would need to have her own bed, she's not a little dog. As always happy camping Ruth & Jim
Old 06-09-2012, 10:00 AM   #23

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
Wow. You really made your CT pristine. We are trying to get ours to look good. We have broken rock guard over the front windo. Noticed yours does not have one. Did you remove it? If so, how did you fill the holes? Thanks Jane and Greg. Gee, we would like to see your ct.
Thanks. No rock guard, though it was pretty original and intact when I bought it. Maybe some UHauls never had rock guards??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthies Radiola View Post
Wow great job!! We are grandparents to a greyhound, Izzy likes to ride to the park but she would need to have her own bed, she's not a little dog. As always happy camping Ruth & Jim
Always glad to hear from another Greyhound fan. They have a great personality and make wonderful pets.
Old 06-14-2012, 08:28 PM   #24

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Tom,

Here is how I manage to install the fan on the back of the fridge. It seems to work great this way but I will have to see on the road as it get hotter if it does get too hot.

I installed a quick connect unit to be able to take the panel off.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
image-245800698.jpg   image-2115516497.jpg  

Old 06-15-2012, 07:13 AM   #25

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Great looking mods Tom.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #26

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Tom,

Here is how I manage to install the fan on the back of the fridge. It seems to work great this way but I will have to see on the road as it get hotter if it does get too hot.

I installed a quick connect unit to be able to take the panel off.

Cheers
Excellent. If my top vent was easily removable, this is how I would do it also.

As I attached my aluminum top vent with stainless bolts and nylock nuts, I ended up with the fan under the heat exchanger pointing up. A little less effective, but I can access it there if it dies.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #27

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
Great looking mods Tom.
Thanks. It has been fun.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #28

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
Have you got a super mod idea for air condition install???

Tags
uhaul