UHaul CT13 Updates Complete - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #29

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
Have you got a super mod idea for air condition install???
Sorry, I've opted to go with a Fantastic fan and frequent trips to town for ice cream.

I think if I was going to go for AC, I'd reinforce the roof and do a roof mount.

Old 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #30

Name: Jane and Greg
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul CT
South Carolina
We love ice cream and Greg agrees with you on the fan. I'm a misplaced Midwestern wimp living in hot hot steamy South Carolina and think cool air would be nice. How tough would it be be to reenforce the roof of our UHaul??

Old 07-19-2012, 06:42 PM   #31

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane SC View Post
........ How tough would it be be to reenforce the roof of our UHaul??
A Google site search here would seem to indicate that others have done it. Perhaps some others can provide some first hand experience.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:17 PM   #32

Name: Shirley
Trailer: '82 13' Burro
Colorado
Beautiful mods, Tom. I've already used your idea for the under sink cabinet from Target, although I'm using it under my semi-permanent bed (table.) I'm now coveting the front table attachment - What is the covering you have used to cover the exposed fiberglass where the new front table is attached? Is this something you constructed? Did you post a thread on this already?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #33

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
Beautiful mods, Tom. I've already used your idea for the under sink cabinet from Target, although I'm using it under my semi-permanent bed (table.) I'm now coveting the front table attachment - What is the covering you have used to cover the exposed fiberglass where the new front table is attached? Is this something you constructed? Did you post a thread on this already?

Thanks in advance!
I don't recall if I did a separate post on the dinette conversion. I removed the top bunk and hinge and replaced the hinge with a piece of 1x6 pine to create a shelf. I used the foam from the top bunk cut into 3 pieces to create the couch cushions, which have 1/4" plywood bottoms and upholstery fabric folded and stapled to the plywood. The bottoms are covered with rubber shelf liner material glued in place. The table is 1/2" birch plywood with a glued on edge veneer, sanded and covered with 4 coats of polyurethane with a final wet sanding. The wall area in front, below the table is covered with extra upholstery material. The table is supported with standard aluminum table pedestals. The entire floor is covered with vinyl sheet flooring, extending into the dinette area.

Now in all that babbling, did I somehow answer your question?
Old 07-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #34

Name: Len
Trailer: "Currently Shopping"
Rhode Island
Nice work.
For sale?
Seeking one that could make use of my interest and abilities. If you hear or see any, please refer me to them or them to me.
Peace,
lendeangelis@verizon.net
Old 07-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #35

Name: Shirley
Trailer: '82 13' Burro
Colorado
Thanks for the great detail, Tom. I was actually interested in the half-bubble under the window. After more research on my part I found Pam Garlow's Glamping photos UHaul Glamper ! and I determined the bubble was an original part of the U-Haul. Being a Burro owner I thought I had knew it all!! Ha!!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #36

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
A Google site search here would seem to indicate that others have done it. Perhaps some others can provide some first hand experience.
I bought my Ct13 with Coleman roof air installed. It has been a tremendous blessing down here in deep South Florida, as you can imagine! I have read
repeatedly on the forums here (not UhaulCamper) that the CT13 was not designed for roof air and would not support it but mine is sitting up there just fine, with no leaks. It does have a little sag to the left side that is noticeable but gives it 'character' IMHO! Incidentally, I think it's been up there since 1995!

My small registry picture is from an original UHaul factory brochure showing that the CTs did occasionally come with rooftop air. As far as reinforcing on the overhead, where it is needed, would be on the left side only when facing forward. The right side is supported by the vertical closet running from the deck to the overhead.There are different ways to support that area on the left side, including internal bracing up to the roof on the inside of the camper.
However, if/when I decide to reinforce the left side I will attempt adding rooftop longitudinal bracing with marine ply/fiberglass sandwiched between the inner/outer shell to spread out the load more. Be advised, the Coleman AC I have covers a little part of the solar panel making the solar panel a little less efficient so moving the solar panel aft, or replace it with an uprated one, would be a good idea if you do the roof air. I suppose an engineer, like Mr. Tom, could design some internal cantilever bracing with some stainless tie rods, etc. that would be quite adequate, as well! This is what my roof top ac looks like now.

(skroll down)
UHaul Battery Box Cover? (CT or VT)
Old 07-20-2012, 07:15 AM   #37

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len DeAngelis View Post
Nice work.
For sale?
Sorry, I just bought it in December. Maybe when I get 3 foot -itis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley LaMoine View Post
Thanks for the great detail, Tom. I was actually interested in the half-bubble under the window. After more research on my part I found Pam Garlow's Glamping photos UHaul Glamper ! and I determined the bubble was an original part of the U-Haul. Being a Burro owner I thought I had knew it all!! Ha!!
Oops. Ironically, some UHaul owners take out that reinforcement when they convert to a dinette. I like the extra stiffening that it provides to the shell.
Old 07-20-2012, 07:25 AM   #38

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
.........I suppose an engineer, like Mr. Tom, could design some internal cantilever bracing with some stainless tie rods, etc. that would be quite adequate, as well! ..............
Having not really studied it, my initial thought would be to add external braces to the roof top. Perhaps fab something up from aluminum tubing or angle to get the weight out toward the sides. Inside, you are restricted in the outboard direction by the two inner shells.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #39

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
Registry
Cute as a button! Congrats on your accomplishment. (We still do not have a camper; on the market for something like this.) Cheers!
Old 07-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #40

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I just noticed that the CT 13 in this old advertisement has what looks like roof AC. Maybe it is a big swamp cooler.
Attached Thumbnails
brochure p2.jpg  
Old 07-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #41

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Its a swamp cooler. Mine came with one. Weighs much less than an AC unit.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:55 AM   #42

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Its a swamp cooler. Mine came with one. Weighs much less than an AC unit.
Thanks. Mine came with a swamp cooler, too, but it was much smaller than the one in the picture.

Tags
uhaul