UHaul CT13 Updates Complete - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul CT13 Updates Complete

I got my CT in December 2011 and have been working away at it since then. Having finally finished the fridge installation, I'm calling it compete. So, I thought I'd post some pictures as thought starters to others and an opportunity for comments on better ways of doing things.

First some outside shots. In these shots you can see that I uncovered the side UHaul lettering and added new lettering to the rear. I also installed a rear tire mount and a 60 watt solar collector, and a front storage rack, which are detailed in previous threads. Finish is Red Max floor wax.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3670.JPG   IMG_3671.JPG  

IMG_3673.JPG   IMG_3674.JPG  

IMG_3675.JPG  
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 AM   #2

My final effort was to install a Norcold 323 three way refrigerator where the ice box was. When I bought it I thought that it would fit in flush to the counter but realized that the Dometic style inset vent takes up an inch or more on the inside and the curvature of the trailer steals an inch or so at the bottom. The net result was the fridge sticks out 1 1/2 inches from the counter. The trim was made from a plastic rain gutter and painted with plastic paint, like the outside vents.

To mount the fridge I made stand offs from plastic pipe which are bolted through the floor by inserting wooden discs into the bottoms then screws into the side of the pipe. This is repeated at the top to mount the 1/4" plywood. I topped the plywood with two layers of 1 1/2" styrene to make it flush with the opening and to add extra insulation.

The sides of the refrigerator opening are also styrene covered with foil on the outside. In the vicinity of the flame the foam is covered with thicker aluminum. This seals the compartment and adds additional insulation to the sides and top of the fridge.

On the back of the fridge I made an aluminum baffle to make sure that all air coming in from the lower vent must pass over the heat exchanger coils before passing out the top vent. I also added a computer fan on top and inside to add additional ventilation in really hot conditions.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3679.JPG   IMG_3678.JPG  

IMG_3672.JPG   IMG_3633.JPG  

IMG_3636.JPG   IMG_3638.JPG  

IMG_3644.JPG   IMG_3651.JPG  

IMG_3653.JPG  
Old 05-31-2012, 11:45 AM   #3

A few shots of the inside.

Here you can see the removable insert that I made for the under sink cabinet which I described in an earlier post.

Up front I took out the bunk and used the foam to make three cushions for a dinette set up. The table is 1/2" plywood with on iron on veneer edge finished with polyurethane and wet sanded. I rounded one edge and offset the pedestal 1 inch to improve access to the left seating position.

I removed the manual pump and used a single handle high rise faucet with a Flojet on demand pump to provide water. One can also hook up to city water with a 3 way valve I installed under the sink. Stove was rusty chrome so I painted it with high temperature black paint. Vent fan was replaced with a computer fan and LED panel lights were added to vent and other two lights, as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3680.JPG   IMG_3677.JPG  

IMG_3678.JPG   IMG_3681.JPG  

Old 05-31-2012, 11:50 AM   #4

Lastly, I upgraded the wiring so I could use the amber turn signals on the trailer and also charge from my hybrid tow vehicle. The electronic adapter for the lights and all the connections live in a piece of 4" PVC which is capped to keep it weather proof. The charging wiring is augmented with an Anderson connector (the red thing) to accommodate the 4 gauge wire I used. It is not necessary for the current flow, with it makes connecting the big wires easier.

I also added a break away switch to activate the electric brakes that I added (detailed in a separate thread).
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3683.JPG   IMG_3685.JPG  

IMG_3684.JPG  
Old 05-31-2012, 12:20 PM   #5

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Great work, Tom. This is almost too beautiful to use! You will turn a lot of heads pulling this little guy down the road. I envy your skills at doing all this yourself. I've done lots of stuff on our VT, but not to the level of detail you have. Thanks for sharing all your upgrades, too.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Great work, Tom. This is almost too beautiful to use! You will turn a lot of heads pulling this little guy down the road. I envy your skills at doing all this yourself. I've done lots of stuff on our VT, but not to the level of detail you have. Thanks for sharing all your upgrades, too.
Thanks. It helps to be retired.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
And Tom, why are you posting and not camping in that beauty?

Great job! And thanks for the REALLY helpful posts. It is a beauty!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
And Tom, why are you posting and not camping in that beauty?

Great job! And thanks for the REALLY helpful posts. It is a beauty!

CindyL
Thanks. DW is an elementary school teacher, so I'm waiting for her to finish the school year. Next hurdle; convince our greyhound that it is a good idea.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:56 PM   #9

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Wow ... real craftsmanship on that mod Thomas!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Chet View Post
I AGREE!!!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Thanks. DW is an elementary school teacher, so I'm waiting for her to finish the school year. Next hurdle; convince our greyhound that it is a good idea.
I hear you. I train teachers. My semester finished earlier.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #12

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Great job Thomas!

I hope we cross paths sometime.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #13

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Hey Thomas,
Right now we have "Master Po" - our sweet little Aussie Cattle Dog, but back in my Florida days we rescued four sweet greyhounds from the tracks. They were quite skittish at first, but as you probably already know - they are big couch potatoes and once they find a spot they like its theirs! Hopefully your dear friend will warm up to that sweet CT 13!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 PM   #14

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Tom,
Looking GREAT, nicely done!!!

I wish you and yours (including the greyhound) to be HAPPY CAMPERS wherever you pull your UHaul!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
Great job Thomas!

I hope we cross paths sometime.
Brooke, your kitchen inspired me to replace the faucet and look for other kitchen upgrades. X2 on paths crossing.

Quote:
......... Hopefully your dear friend will warm up to that sweet CT 13!
Thanks. She is a brave girl and would attack a bear, but shivers at the thought of entering a small space like a shower....or a CT......but she will do anything for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtriceflt View Post
Tom,
Looking GREAT, nicely done!!!

I wish you and yours (including the greyhound) to be HAPPY CAMPERS wherever you pull your UHaul!
Thanks. It is full circle for me. My first camper rental was a CT in 1985.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #16

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Absolutly a great job! Working on installing my three way fridge this weekend and would like you to give me some hint.

I the owner manuel (Dometic RM2193) the say that the unit should be in some kind of enclosure to avoid any combustion gaz to get inside the RV. On your pics you don't seem to have built any side wall.

An other question, the computer fan, did you connect it directly to the same wires of the fridge?

thanks for your help

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Absolutly a great job! Working on installing my three way fridge this weekend and would like you to give me some hint.

I the owner manuel (Dometic RM2193) the say that the unit should be in some kind of enclosure to avoid any combustion gaz to get inside the RV. On your pics you don't seem to have built any side wall.

An other question, the computer fan, did you connect it directly to the same wires of the fridge?

thanks for your help

Fred
Fred, my photos don't show it, but I extended the styrene foam all the way from the counter front to the outside wall of the trailer and acrylic caulked the styrene to wall. (You can also use Gorilla glue) At the top, I used a thin piece of aluminum sheet to seal from the top of the refrigerator to the top of the upper vent. In the vicinity of the flame chamber, I glued heavier gauge aluminum sheet on the styrene to be sure it didn't melt.

I put two small switches inside the refrigerator and ran wires out the back to the 12 volt refrigerator power connection. The switches let me operate the inside and outside fan independently
Old 06-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
............. I also added a computer fan on top and inside to add additional ventilation in really hot conditions.
UPDATE:

I made a mistake mounting the fan directly to the heat exchanger, as shown. A plastic part in the fan melted and it died already. So, mount your fan where it does not directly contact the heat exchanger but can still direct air over the plates.
Old 06-04-2012, 05:03 PM   #19

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Tom, Your Ct is incredible! Masterfully crafted and engineered! I so appreciate all your advice and your willingness to share. Am wishing you all the very best on your many adventures to come, your dog will be fine because she will be with you both.
Great Job Tom! Happy Trails and hope to meet you one day.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Tom, Your Ct is incredible! Masterfully crafted and engineered! I so appreciate all your advice and your willingness to share. Am wishing you all the very best on your many adventures to come, your dog will be fine because she will be with you both.
Great Job Tom! Happy Trails and hope to meet you one day.
Thanks for the well wishes and kind words, Diane. I took the trailer out for exercise today to test the brakes and to adjust the brake controller. I think that I'm going to like having brakes.

I ran the fridge overnight on 120 volts and it was 32 degrees inside the fridge this AM, without running either the inside or outside computer fan. I'm anxious to test it out on a hot day to see how it maintains temperature.

I'm sure we'll cross paths soon enough, as we eggs are a cohesive bunch.

Tags
uhaul