Uhaul owners Heads up
Finally got around to replacing the front two missing Elevator bolts that hold the trailer to the frame this weekend. Since the existing ones were 1/4 20 x2" I upgraded to 5/16 16X2". I punched out the heads of the two that were missing at the frame and found that they had broken off due to corrosion.Since I was going to replace the rest any way I didn't think too much of it as the front gets a lot of water etc. Well to make a long story short All but one of the rest were ready to go. As I attempted to break the nut loose the bolt sheared on all but one. I replaced two of those that rundown on each side of the centerline and they were fine just a little rust. Pictures enclosed for your your amusement. I suspect the perimeter holds more water which wicks into the plywood and facilitates teh corrosion as it looks to occur in that area. New ones were installed with a big dab of the dreaded silicone rubber to make a gasket.I guess it is still pretty good to have lasted 28 years.