UHaul Solar Panel Reseal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul Solar Panel Reseal

I took off my solar panel today to fix a leak. It was leaking at the forward mounting bolts. I pulled back the ceiling carpet and used my biggest screwdriver to unscrew the large headed bolts that anchor the solar panel frame to the roof. The bolts thread into captured nuts on the frame. Fortunately, mine were not frozen as others have reported. When I replace them, I will put anti-seize compound on the threads.

The PO had tried to fix the leak by emptying an entire tube of silicon around the perimeter of the solar panel. The leak occurs where the bolts penetrate the roof, so this was a waste of time and a dreadful sight.

The solar panel still works, so I'll repaint the frame and remount it, less the 10 pounds of caulk.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3560.JPG   IMG_3559.JPG  

IMG_3561.JPG   IMG_3562.JPG  

Thomas G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM   #2

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Would replacing the old panels with new ones the same size generate more power?

I ask because I have a CT13 too and I would like to upgrade my solar output.
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #3

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
You don't necessarily have to go with the same size, you can modify the bracket with aluminum angles to make it wider to fit larger panels. i replaced mine with a 50 Watt panel and it has kept 2 Deep cycle batteries topped off all winter. pictures attached. The old panel will have degraded after all of these years and was only intended to keep the battery from sulfating while sitting around. better off with a new one if you can afford it but it will also require a new solar controller.Michael J.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0152.jpg   IMG_0153.jpg  

IMG_0154.jpg  
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM   #4

Name: Brooke
Trailer: U Haul CT13
California
Great pictures!

Did you redo the bracket completely or just add the angle bracket that I see?

(Mine is leaking so I haven't investigated it yet.)
Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Watch out for lizards! We found one under our Uhaul ceiling carpet in January after out trip to FL. He came out in TN on the way home. We have a new pet. According to the Internet, he was a she, and so we got "her" a buddy who was a she. As soon as the new she lizard went into the tank, we found out the missing information on the web site about identifying he lizards from she lizards. The new one is definitely a she; the one from FL turns out to be a he. Anyone for a baby Anole lizard?

Maybe this goes in the thread on strange things seen while camping.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Tom: Any idea what was used originally to seal the panel from leaking? I haven't looked yet, so I'll be lazy and ask, can the captive nuts be accessed from outside to spray them with penetrating oil? What seals the wiring? I don't think ours leaks, if not it's about the only thing that didn't on this trailer. I sealed around the marker lights as they leaked water into the storage areas, and there are no leaks around the new Fantastic fan, so I'm gaining on it. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Tom: Any idea what was used originally to seal the panel from leaking?
The underside of the large headed bolts had some black tarry stuff on them like butyl caulk or urethane. I will add butyl rope to the underside of the bracket (on the top side).

Quote:
I haven't looked yet, so I'll be lazy and ask, can the captive nuts be accessed from outside to spray them with penetrating oil?
You might be able to sneak in a long spray tube to hit them with penetrating oil. Mine was caulked solidly around the whole perimeter so I'm not sure what the gap is.

Quote:
What seals the wiring? I don't think ours leaks, if not it's about the only thing that didn't on this trailer.
Mine just exits the roof through a rubber grommet and was not sealed - just shielded from any direct rain by the panel. I'll seal it with butyl when I reinstall it.

Quote:
I sealed around the marker lights as they leaked water into the storage areas, and there are no leaks around the new Fantastic fan, so I'm gaining on it. Bob
I installed my fan today and Someone obliged with a rainstorm to test it. No leak in the fan, slight trickle in the newly rebuilt window. I think I need to caulk under the perimeter weatherstrip
Old 03-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #8

Follow up.

I cleaned up the solar panel, painted the mounting bracket and reinstalled it today using butyl caulk around the 6 holes in the roof plus around the electric wires as they pass through the roof. It is only putting out 6 volts today. I'll test it on a sunnier day and see if it puts out more. If not, I may install a new, larger one. In any case, the gloppy silicon mess is gone.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3580.JPG  
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
My solar panel only would put out 6 volts also, I have it disconnected now. Maybe someday I'll replace it, but it's low on the priority list right now. Bob
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #10

Name: Frederic
Trailer: U-Haul ct-13
Quebec
Hello, i just tested mine and seem to give 3,8 watt on a bright sunny day. Does it bring anything to the battery. It is also leaking so with only 3,8 watt do you recommand just removing it and doing little bit of fiber glass putty to fit the hole's?

Thans

Fred
theman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:22 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
..... It is only putting out 6 volts today. I'll test it on a sunnier day and see if it puts out more.........
I retested it on a sunny day and still only 6 volts. However when I disconnected it from the controller, it shot up to over 14 volts.

For now, I'll install a Schottky blocking diode and wire it directly to the battery, bypassing the controller.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:56 AM   #12

Quebec
Hello Thomas,

Mine show 4 volts, not watts . Is it worth to plug it or should I just remove it?

Thanks

Fred
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theman View Post
Hello Thomas,

Mine show 4 volts, not watts . Is it worth to plug it or should I just remove it?

Thanks

Fred
Disconnect the wires from the solar panel at the controller (mounted on the side of the battery cover). Measure voltage in full sun. If still only 4 volts, it may be bad. Check the connectors under the panel, too (requires removal).
Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM   #14

Quebec
Thanks for your reply. Will try it this weekend and will post my result.

Fred
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #15

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Follow up.

I cleaned up the solar panel, painted the mounting bracket and reinstalled it today using butyl caulk around the 6 holes in the roof plus around the electric wires as they pass through the roof. It is only putting out 6 volts today. I'll test it on a sunnier day and see if it puts out more. If not, I may install a new, larger one. In any case, the gloppy silicon mess is gone.
Thomas, I admire your tenacity. Looks so much better, I hope it works out for you. What is a "schottky" blocking diode? Think I will clean mine up also so it is nice to see how you did yours. Thanks for sharing.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:12 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
If you read the Uhaul repair manual in the document section of this forum, it says that the solar panel will not recharge or keep a battery at full charge. It was only meant to keep the batteries from sulfation (whatever that is) while the trailers were on the lots, waiting to be rented. So it really serves no purpose to someone who camps regularly. But would be a great spot to locate a better solar panel.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 12:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I agree with Pam if I was going to the trouble of getting up there and taking it off it would have far more use to camping if it was replaced with at least a 15 watt panel or even better a 30 watt, that would not be that much bigger in size and pretty easy to do as the wiring is already in place. The price of solar panels has dropped a lot in the past year or so.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Thomas, I admire your tenacity. Looks so much better, I hope it works out for you. What is a "schottky" blocking diode? Think I will clean mine up also so it is nice to see how you did yours. Thanks for sharing.
A diode allows electricity to only flow in one direction. Without it, your battery would flow electricity back into the solar panel all night.

The bad thing about diodes is that they have a voltage drop, which is not good when talking about charging a battery. A schottsky diode has a minimal voltage drop but costs a little more than a regular diode.

Source:
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 03-22-2012, 06:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
If you read the Uhaul repair manual in the document section of this forum, it says that the solar panel will not recharge or keep a battery at full charge. It was only meant to keep the batteries from sulfation (whatever that is) while the trailers were on the lots, waiting to be rented. So it really serves no purpose to someone who camps regularly. But would be a great spot to locate a better solar panel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I agree with Pam if I was going to the trouble of getting up there and taking it off it would have far more use to camping if it was replaced with at least a 15 watt panel or even better a 30 watt, that would not be that much bigger in size and pretty easy to do as the wiring is already in place. The price of solar panels has dropped a lot in the past year or so.
All true. I think the solar panel is a cool UHaul feature that was way ahead of its time in 1985. If I find that it continues to work, I'll leave it in place for now. Eventually, I'd like to get a 100 watt panel, but that would be huge on this little roof, so I may keep an eye out for a bargain panel and just set it up on a tiltable stand.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #20

Quebec
I found this on Ebay, it look like a good price and could share with someone else I would just use one panel to replace the originale one.

120W(2X60W) poly solar panel energy charger for battery, RV, car, camp, marine@ | eBay

Tags
solar, solar panel, uhaul