UHaul Upper Shelf / Loft Project - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
UHaul Upper Shelf / Loft Project

I've found that there is not much horizontal space in the CT except for the cushions, so I wanted to add some space to just plop things like a jacket or camera when you walk in the door. Actually the top bunk worked nicely for this, but I took it out for a dinette.

So I added shelves across the front and down the side to the over-stove cabinet. Additionally I added a rear shelf and side shelves. The shelves are made of 3/16" underlayment reinforced with L shaped extruded aluminum. The shelves are painted with exterior mold resistant latex paint matched to the CT's interior color.

No holes were drilled in the fiberglass. Where possible, I used existing holes and aluminum brackets. When necessary, I used an aluminum bracket held in place with 3M Extreme double sided tape.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3876.JPG   IMG_3877.JPG  

IMG_3879.JPG   IMG_3887.JPG  

Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

Next, I wanted to add an additional barrier to keep things in place should the trailer be moved while the shelves were occupied. I blatantly stole Raz's idea for a shock cord and mesh curtain set up, but first I had to figure out how to suspend the shock cord. I ended up buying turned wooden bases at a hobby store and mounted 1/2" PVC pipe in them. I screwed the bases to the aluminum frame. Each pipe is capped with an eyelet screwed into it to guide the shock cord.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3890.JPG   IMG_3895.JPG  

IMG_3893.JPG  
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #3

Next I bought colored mesh material, sewed a tunnel at the top for the shock cord and sewed loop material to the bottom. I used contact cement to glue hook material to the back of the aluminum upright lip and Velcroed the curtain in place. Then I threaded the shock cord through the curtain top edge. I used a spring lock cord holder (like on the bottom of a jacket) to allow me to re-tension the shock cord as necessary. This spring lock is on one end. The other end is fixed.

I also cut out quarter sized pieces of outdoor carpet and glued them over all the stainless steel nuts to eliminate sharp or snaggy surfaces. I also glued some carpet over the aluminum frame in the corners to provide a friendly surface.

Total added weight is about 8 pounds.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4001.JPG   IMG_4002.JPG  

IMG_4004.JPG   IMG_4005.JPG  

Old 01-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #4

Shock cord spring lock.

Old 01-09-2013, 04:45 PM   #5

Name: andrew
Trailer: 17 boler
Ontario
looks great tom
andrew78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Looks good, Thomas. A while back, Kevin added a hammock-style shelf over the bed in the back where we throw our night clothes. It hangs from eye hooks across the back (not sure if I have a picture though). On our last trip though, he set up the bunkbed in the VT so we could use the top bunk as a shelf too, since he was sleeping in the front bunk due to my elbow surgery recovery. We tend to pile stuff in the front dinette (not great, but it happens), so the bunk gave us a place to throw stuff since we did not have the dinette.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia

This is Just the BEES KNEES!!!!! Clever, light weight, and I know it will work! Upper Shelves, Closet Shelves and a Silver Ware drawer is all that is needed for the Uhaul Cts to be Pert Near Perfect. Good Job, Tom.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Looks good, Thomas. ........
CindyL

Thanks. The junk's gotta go somewhere.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:34 PM   #9

Virginia
Tom, when you say underlayment, do you mean the thin plywood that is used under bathroom and kitchen floors? It's lightweight, strong, has little x's on it and looks finished. Where do you find the aluminum brackets? Just curious...
Old 01-09-2013, 05:54 PM   #10

Name: don
Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT-13
Florida
Registry
Less clutter!!!

Mr. Tom,
I had been thinking of modifying some Scamp bins but your design and appearance is even better! Thanks for sharing another of your very practical enhancements!
Old 01-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Tom, when you say underlayment, do you mean the thin plywood that is used under bathroom and kitchen floors? It's lightweight, strong, has little x's on it and looks finished. Where do you find the aluminum brackets? Just curious...
Yes the underlayment is just thin plywood used to smooth a floor under linoleum. This didn't have the little x's, but some brands do, to ease layout of tiles. The L shaped extruded aluminum I found at a local metal recycler. The supplier evidently dumps seconds there. The oddly shaped aluminum brackets were just made from aluminum sheet that I also scored at the recyclers. I bent it up in my vice then painted it. I found a local surplus house that sells stainless bolts for $2 a pound, so I splurged on all stainless hardware.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #12

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Thumbs up

Looks grrrreat, Tom! Now you got me thinking about adding a front shelf to to LilScamper.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #13

Virginia
I like salvaging materials...it looks like the frames that hold glass shower doors. Love the modern look of the aluminum metal.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #14

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
nice!!! we made wooden shelves very similarly a couple of years ago. we have a wooden rim but not the mesh. sure has made a difference in storage!

great job. you'll really love how it helps.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:19 AM   #15

Name: C. Elaine
Trailer: Casita 2001 spirit
California
Stainless at $2 a pound - my heart grows faint, I just paid 80 cents for (1) acorn nut.
What a great job on the shelves, the mesh was super idea.
This site is soooo great to newbies, Thanks to all!!
partslady9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by partslady9 View Post
Stainless at $2 a pound - my heart grows faint, I just paid 80 cents for (1) acorn nut.
What a great job on the shelves, the mesh was super idea.
This site is soooo great to newbies, Thanks to all!!
Thanks. The stainless hardware is a good deal, but they make you work for it. They bought out new old stock and it is all mixed up in a huge barrel in plastic envelopes. So, I take my time and sort and sort. It is nice to be retired.

Tags
uhaul