Ultimate Camping Coffee Brewer - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 03:58 PM   #21

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I used to have a stainless steel vacuum pot. It was great. The spring loaded strainer didn't even require a paper filter.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #22

Name: Drew
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 16ft, Layout 4
Minnesota
My wife and I are espresso addicts, each with our own combination with warm milk. We take one of these bad boys on the road in the scamp, works like a charm:

Amazon.com: Bialetti 6800 Moka Express 6-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining
DrewSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewSK View Post
My wife and I are espresso addicts, each with our own combination with warm milk. We take one of these bad boys on the road in the scamp, works like a charm:

Amazon.com: Bialetti 6800 Moka Express 6-Cup Stovetop Espresso Maker: Kitchen & Dining
I use a Moka Pot at home a fair bit too. Not a true espresso, but still makes a great cup. Best of all, for campers, no electricity required. I don't usually add anything but a bit of hot water (Americano), or sometimes after dinner with some frothed milk (Cappuccino). These Moka pots make the best cup with fresh ground coffee too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
In my entire life I've had (1) really good cup of coffee.
It was so long ago I can't remember where.

And, I've only had (1) good tasting beer in my life.

Maybe I need taste bud transplants.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 PM   #25

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
It's very similar, Hilary. The advantage of using K-cups, though, is that the coffee stays sealed and fresh until you use it. I understand the aeropress is easy to clean, too, though
Problem is, K-Cups are far from fresh to begin with...
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM   #26

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
To each his own, Some people think drinking coffee at all is a waste of time, and some wouldn't go anywhere but the best coffeehouse with a fresh roaster in the corner, even if they are out camping. Just because someone finds a method that works doesn't mean everyone else has to claim there is a better way.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #27

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Another Keurig addict

We're addicted to Newman's Special Blend K-cups and have a Mr. Coffee/Keurig machine in our Scamp. We'll definitely get a Cafejo for boon-docking. We've tried a couple of French presses and have a hard time getting the grind right to avoid too many grounds.

I find all the back and forth your message has inspired interesting. Just goes to prove that coffee drinkers are an opinionated lot.

Thanks for the tip!
Stretcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:01 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (15B17G)
Wasn't posting that there was a better way, just interesting to see what peeps consider 'fresh'. Your words, not mine...
Dave_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #29

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Deryk,
You can get metal stovetop vacuum coffee pots. I have one just like this and it makes very good coffee. You do miss seeing the water go up and the coffee come down.

Vintage ABCO Metal Products Aluminum Vacuum Drip Coffee Maker Pot Estate Find | eBay
Old 07-17-2013, 08:03 PM   #30

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
To each his own, Some people think drinking coffee at all is a waste of time, and some wouldn't go anywhere but the best coffeehouse with a fresh roaster in the corner, even if they are out camping. Just because someone finds a method that works doesn't mean everyone else has to claim there is a better way.
That's true, like anything else.

I'm pretty much a purest about anything.

As far as coffee, I want coffee.............just black.

I used to have six teaspoons of sugar to each cup.
Then I weaned myself from sugar and forced myself
to drink it black. Now I wouldn't have it any other way.
I didn't realize I was drinking coffee flavored sugar.........

My uncles just put on a pot of boiling water and threw a
fist full of grounds in it. That's too stout for me.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #31

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Have you tried Starbuck's Via Instant Coffee, particularly the Italian Roast (extra bold instant coffee) or Decaf Italian Roast ( Dark instant coffee) ?

If you haven't tried it, you might give it a try. This might sound like herisy on this thread.

My wife, Suzanne, loves coffee and typically drinks 3-4 cups a day, and grinds her beans daily and uses a single cup Melita drip coffee maker for every cup of her daily coffee at home. She uses Peet's Summatra beans, because Starbuck's beans seem to have been burned during roasting.

But on the road in our class b rv, there isn't a lot of room for making drip coffee. She boils water in a wide base electric coffee percolator and adds the instant coffee. She's regards the instant coffee as "excellent", compared to the drip coffee. So that's it from one coffee lover.

Just our 2 cents. Hope I haven't ruffled too many feathers.
georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I have to agree. It's a very good instant coffee. Makes you wonder what the other guys make their instant coffee out of. But, it is pricey.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #33

Name: Walter
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300; Invertec Falcon 190 class b rv
Washington
Glenn,

Thank you for confirming this observation .

You are quite right that it is more pricey, about $1 a cup, vs $0.30 a cup for Peet's coffee beans/drip brewed.

Of course, compare this with what it costs for a cup of coffee at a barista and the convenience factor.

Enjoy!
georgewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:14 PM   #34

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have tried the Starbucks instant on a couple of occasions. I did find it a lot better than most of the jar type instants, and what it is, is super fine ground beans that get drank. It still lacks the freshness of extracting from fresh ground beans. And as long as you are having to boil water, it takes a little more effort to actually brew from fresh ground.

If I don't have one of my favourite brewing methods available, I am definitely not at all going to refuse a cup from other methods. :-)

Bottom line. If you enjoy what you are drinking, then all is good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:17 PM   #35

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
This is how my husband makes coffee while camping. I found this description online.

Coffee Brewing Method #4

Posted on January 12, 2012 by apfergus
Personally, I have made coffee four different ways. Naturally, as an American I have used an auto-drip machine. My coffee brewing workhorse has always been a french press, though. I think it makes a better tasting coffee, especially compared to auto-drip in small quantities. As a wedding gift, someone gave me a moka pot, with which I have made exactly one fantastic cup of coffee which I have never been able to reproduce.
Now I’ve decided to try one of those cone things they sell at the grocery store next to the coffee filters for $5. Why not? It’s easily obtainable, at least some coffee snobs rave over them, and it will make a single serving of coffee. With these on the market, I don’t understand how those $100 single cup drip machines survive.
I am not the authority on canonically good coffee, but I can tell you what I like. The few times I’ve used mine so far have all turned out very nicely. One thing to keep track of is how fast you pour the water. If a lot starts to pool up, grounds can get deposited on the side of the cone where they don’t really see much water once it starts to drain. This probably over-extracts the grounds left at the bottom of the cone.
Overall, I’ll call it a success. The coffee produced was at least as palatable to me as my usual french press ritual. Keep in mind I don’t measure my coffee out by weight. I squint at it, shrug and toss it in when it looks right. However, I do grind my beans fresh and usually use single origin. With the success of the pour-over method I’m trying to cut back a little on my coffee consumption, so this will probably replace the 8-cup french press in my office.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #36

Jim, Is your roaster solar powered?
Old 07-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #37

One thing to keep track of is how fast you pour the water. [/QUOTE]

I too use a cone filter holder (#4 ), but mine fits a thermal carafe.
Boil water on the propane stove, let it cool a minute and pour it gently over the grounds. Pour just enough to wet them. Then pour again when the grounds have settled.

No electricity required. Little expense. Easy disposal of the grounds. Good coffee, if you started with good grounds.

I have a Nespresso at home. Expensive to buy ( $299 ). Expensive pods ( 65 cents each ). Have to buy the pods on-line ( unless you live next door to one of their boutiques ). Delivery by UPS the next day though. Great selection of coffees. Makes a cappuccino, espresso or latte in about two minutes. Next to no maintenance. Easy clean. It delivers 19 bars of pressure so it makes a proper crema.

I looked at other machines ( not K ), but it appeared it would take about two years to learn to make a good cup of coffee and require hours of maintenance.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:43 AM   #38
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
K cups are made by Green Mountain Coffee here in VT. They are one of the few "large" manufacturers here. They grow the coffee here in the mountains under the sugar maples and K cup it in Waterbury, VT. Well, the last part is true.

We occasionally buy Green Mountain coffee though never in a K cup. We bought a French press for camping and liked it so much we use it at home too. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-45739811.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:08 AM   #39

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
Deryk,
You can get metal stovetop vacuum coffee pots. I have one just like this and it makes very good coffee. You do miss seeing the water go up and the coffee come down.

Vintage ABCO Metal Products Aluminum Vacuum Drip Coffee Maker Pot Estate Find | eBay
Well I won an auction for one $8.50 plus shipping... can't wait to try it

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #40

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
You could just open the K-cup and use the coffee in your regular mode of making coffee.

IMO the individual coffee packages are meant for the office. Saves on paid time buying outside. You get a variety of freshly brewed with no one to blame for the missed clean up or burnt java, tea or hot chocolate. Make your own, wash or throw away your own when done.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote