Unbelievable RV Antenna - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #21

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #22

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
But a Scamp is flat on the bottom, just like the earth, otherwise the earth would just roll out of place while the sun is orbiting around it.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #23

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
How easy is it to colapse and stow the Clearstream for travel? Is it fairly compact?
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:10 AM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
The Clearstream 2V two radials fold in which makes it a 12" x 17" and it fits nicely
under a seat for storage. One other thing I didn't mention is that it has a lifetime warranty.
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:10 AM   #25

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post
I suppose as long as the amplifier holds up it will work great. Personally. I like a bigger antenna on an extendable mast.

Your is stealthy which I like also.
When a smaller tool does the job with full satisfaction, the length of the mast is of no consequence.

As mentioned, two of the five I have bought have been in 24/7 outside use for over two years. If one worries about amplifier/component failures they shouldn't buy much of anything in 2014.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #26

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
Ok wise crackers, (btw...love your humor)........please tell me how to attach these antennas to my egg/TV and what else I need to buy. Does anything involve drilling holes in my egg??? Any subscriptions to Dish needed?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #27

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
Ok wise crackers, (btw...love your humor)........please tell me how to attach these antennas to my egg/TV and what else I need to buy. Does anything involve drilling holes in my egg??? Any subscriptions to Dish needed?
Well, since you asked I am scheming to build a bike rack for the back of my Scamp that includes the capability to add a mast on top that will carry a new antenna like the one discussed in this thread. My Scamp has a factory antenna now that won’t pick up squat. I intend to leave it but remove and utilize the factory in-feed cable so I will not need any new holes in the Scamp. So many projects, so little time. I need to build the receiver to carry the bike rack first. And no, these are broadcast antennas, no fees to Dish or anybody else (yet).
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:47 AM   #28

Florida
Here is a link for a cable/tv ready hook up. This is what Scamp installed on my camper it works fine or you can just feed the cable through a corner opening in your window.

JR PRODUCTS 47815 - Jr Products Interior/Exterior Cable TV Install Kit White 47815 - RV Plus
Old 06-28-2014, 05:58 AM   #29

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Mike, that looks nice. We ordered ours "cable ready" too. Is that the standard factory set-up, or was that something you gave them to install?

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:37 AM   #30

Florida
Tom ours is a 2008 factory installed cable ready. The inside cable connection is in front of the table near the floor. It works good so you can set it on the table or at night we have a cooktop cover and it sits on it.
Old 06-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #31

Florida
Thats the one the factory used and installed.
Not sure if they have changed to a somthing
different. Works great!
Old 06-28-2014, 06:57 AM   #32

Michigan
We're having our antenna cable mounted on the upper corner of the closet so we can install the TV over the bed. I'll try to get some sort of swinging telescoping mount so we can swivel it forward to watch from the couch as well. With the antenna / cable connector in that area, we might even hang the TV from the rear curbside overhead cabinet. Looks like a quality connector. Thx!
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #33

Michigan
Mike,

BTW I like your antenna choice too. I wonder if a telescoping pole like a boat hook might be good for that? Shorten it to 3'-4' for travel, and mount it to a bracket on the rear bumper when you get to your destination. They extend to 8' to 10' and would get the antenna up above your trailer. Thanks for sharing. Tips like your's are what makes this forum such a valuable resource.

Tom
Old 06-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #34

Florida
Tom Home Depot has 10' sections of galv fence pole for $10.88 per section. It is tapered at one end so you can cut it in half and slip the two sections together when needed. A 2 foot section of 2x4 fastened to the tongue jack with c clamps than the opposite side with 2 smaller c clamps for the fence pole. Or you can set a stake in the ground and slide the fence pole over it.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:21 AM   #35

Florida
I will be setting up on the river for the July 4th weekend.
I will send pictures of the antenna set up after the weekend.
Old 06-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #36

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Laurie View Post
I will be setting up on the river for the July 4th weekend.
I will send pictures of the antenna set up after the weekend.
That would be great Mike. I will also have the receiver hitch installed by Scamp below the rear bumper as a possible mounting point. I was thinking we'd use it to hold a bike rack, but it sounds like that has it's share of problems. I left it on the order "just in case". Curious to see your set-up though. Thx again.

Tom
Old 06-28-2014, 05:23 PM   #37

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I wonder how well these antennas might work for my home TV.....
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:37 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I wonder how well these antennas might work for my home TV.....
Depends how hard it is to move the house for better reception.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #39

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Simple folded dipole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-N-Laurie View Post
Here is a link for a cable/tv ready hook up. This is what Scamp installed on my camper it works fine or you can just feed the cable through a corner opening in your window.

JR PRODUCTS 47815 - Jr Products Interior/Exterior Cable TV Install Kit White 47815 - RV Plus
I put the same connector on my Scamp. I first used an old set of VHF rabbit ears on top of a mast with some success but one of the ears broke off. I saw a folded dipole design on the web and threw one together using insulated wire, a 300/75 transformer, and PVC pipe. The pipe slips through a wider PVC "T" that is mounted on the rear bumper with zip-ties. This non-amplified antenna does pretty good for it's size, and I can break it down and place the assembly tucked behind the cushions of my side dinette when traveling. Picks up lots of stations when coverage is good, and zero stations when coverage is bad.
Attached Thumbnails
20140622_142453.jpg   20140622_142638.jpg  

radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #40

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I tested a high gain antenna at my house and got 67 channels. If you remove the home shopping channels , foreign language channels and duplicates, you end up with the three big networks, a Hogans Hero 's channel, and a old black and white movie channel--the same as we we saw in the late 60's.

It hardly seems worthwhile for broadcast TV any more with Netflix and Redbox.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote