Under Bed Storage with Pedestal Thingy in the way. - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Under Bed Storage with Pedestal Thingy in the way.

I am always trying to resolve storage issues, I have a Uhaul CT13.
I use the bed in a permanent setup, however I want to leave the pedestal table so if I resale it, it will be there. I hate the floor pedestal table base because you can't slide a big box under the bed. In my case there is a short Support pole that goes into the floor pedestal base while in bed set up. Does anyone else have this situation? Is this thing absolutely necessary for bed support? It really gets in the way. Any suggestions? I am afraid to remove the floor base as there might be a hole or two or three. I realize you may be camping...It is raining here for months...so trying to do what I can on trailer in down time. Any response is appreciated.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #2

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
I am always trying to resolve storage issues, I have a Uhaul CT13.
I use the bed in a permanent setup, however I want to leave the pedestal table so if I resale it, it will be there. I hate the floor pedestal table base because you can't slide a big box under the bed. In my case there is a short Support pole that goes into the floor pedestal base while in bed set up. Does anyone else have this situation? Is this thing absolutely necessary for bed support? It really gets in the way. Any suggestions? I am afraid to remove the floor base as there might be a hole or two or three. I realize you may be camping...It is raining here for months...so trying to do what I can on trailer in down time. Any response is appreciated.
How about a thicker piece of plywood under the bed. Those cups i think are just screwed in How bout taking them out and storing them for future use and put a temporary patch over or in the hole. I got rid of all mine years ago and haven't missed them at all

Old 07-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Virginia
Bill, I have already laid new carpet around the sorted thing, but your advise sounds good to me...I guess I just needed to hear someone else say it. Seems there is no easy way out, I do all the work myself so sometimes it is difficult for me to remove rusted screws and I am not a fiberglass repair expert. I appreciate your response though. Enjoy your host job, sounds wonderful!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #4

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Diane
There is a new table pedestal system available. The base attaches to the floor without drilling a big hole into the floor and the base plate only sticks up a 1/2". The piece mounted to the table top is cone shaped like the older system. You can also mount the thin plate to table and just use the leg, on a Scamp/Casita flip up table.
The legs come in different lengths but only one length is readily available. I used one in a Scamp and had to dissemble it and cut it to length. It is the Sequoia table leg system. It is carried in some Camping Worlds but not all.
Eddie
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...base-cap/10306
Old 07-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #5

Virginia
Thanks Eddie, that is promising. I just went out and looked at the thing and WoW
Removal would be a real job for me...it is huge and the floor base well goes down deep under the fiberglass floor. The screws are large hex heads. DUH... Seems removal would render a very big hole in the floor... So I am still searching for ideas. However I think your new system would be the answer to my new front dinnete table. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Diane, yes there will be about a 2" hole in the floor if you remove the table base. I removed ours, put a piece of metal under the floor, cut a wood plug to fill the hole, put new carpet in. When we first got our Uhaul we did use the fiberglass table for the bed and made a center support, later removed the table and replaced it with plywood. Now have two metal baskets mounted on ball bearing drawer slides. The slides are on their sides rather than vertical, screwed to plywood that is screwed to the floor. Bed stays made up all the time, baskets slide out for easy access. I did have to make up a means to lock them in place while traveling.
Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 PM   #7

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I don't use the short pole with mine. I lade a piece of carpet over the floor mount (cup). and my under bed Tupperware tub slides right in!
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #8

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Diane, yes there will be about a 2" hole in the floor if you remove the table base. I removed ours, put a piece of metal under the floor, cut a wood plug to fill the hole, put new carpet in. When we first got our Uhaul we did use the fiberglass table for the bed and made a center support, later removed the table and replaced it with plywood. Now have two metal baskets mounted on ball bearing drawer slides. The slides are on their sides rather than vertical, screwed to plywood that is screwed to the floor. Bed stays made up all the time, baskets slide out for easy access. I did have to make up a means to lock them in place while traveling.
Bob did you have to crawl under the trailer to put the metal plate in, and how did you secure it? I mean does the thing go all the way through the floor? The well in the base is so deep.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:36 PM   #9

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
I don't use the short pole with mine. I lade a piece of carpet over the floor mount (cup). and my under bed Tupperware tub slides right in!
I have already laid a new floor and cut a big hole for the pedestal mount out of it. Have tried it without the pole in it and the base is huge. Maybe yours is different???? But this sounds like an easy out. I will work on the thing tomorrow.

Bob I know I can cut a piece of plywood to fit. Man...I need a Storage Building for all the unused UHaul Parts now...HA! Anyone know of a good buy on a building?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
The original table base does go all the way through the floor, and yes I did have to crawl under to attach a metal plate with screws. Put some sealer on the plate first to prevent water from getting between it and the floor. But to make it easier to get under the trailer I have a set of wood ramps from a truck shop that I worked in. When I first made the slider baskets the table base was still on the floor, so I cut a hole in the plywood that the baskets mount to so it would set over the table base. When we replaced the carpet I removed the table base as it was corroded and in bad shape. A previous owner had put carpet right over the original carpet and table base, then installed a new base on all that a little forward of the original. He used the one that sits on the floor, not recessed like the original. I posted a picture of our storage baskets some time ago, not sure if I can find that post, but can do it again if you need.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:53 AM   #11

Virginia
Bob, Thank You for your response. I understand. I have been searching back threads as well. This is all I need to begin work hopefully today.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #12

Trailer: 85 U-Haul 13 ft
Registry
Hello, I have two pieces of plywood that I use instead of the fiberglass table. I keep it in the garage. I'm able to store 2 totes under the bed.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 85 U-Haul 13 ft
Registry
I just wanted to add the wood has been sanded and coated, the two pieces just in case want bed up can store under cushions.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Oswego, NY
Registry
I took out the base and table hardware in my Escape 17 when I made the bed permanent. It only takes about 1/2 hour to put it back together so I stored it in case I ever sell the trailer.

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote