Old 09-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #15
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Now really answer your question. YES everything you do has a purpose, it may or may not be a practical purpose. It may be just Raz pure whimzy, but that's still a purpose, in fact a valid purpose. "I think it looks cool" is also as good a purpose as any, it's still a purpose.

Yes, you're right. Everything I DO has a purpose. But that is not what I said. I asked if EVERYTHING has to have a purpose, not if what I do has a purpose. For example, what is the purpose if a tree falling in the woods makes a noise if nobody is there to hear it or get out of its way as it falls. In asking the question, my purpose was to see if it would elicit any defensive responses, given the fact that the OP made a modification to his trailer which resulted in personal happiness, a sense of accomplishment, and pride in his workmanship. I wonder what purpose is served by someone responding to his post in a manner that could be construed as an attempt to "rain on his parade." I wouldn't put lighting under my camper, but once again, each to his own. I do not believe that negativity serves any purpose on this forum. Maybe I read too much into things, but I see a lot of negativity and pettiness almost every time I visit this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 09-23-2014, 11:10 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I like the looks of this, but please tell us how you fastened the rope to the underside of the RV.

Old 09-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #17

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Yes, you're right. Everything I DO has a purpose. But that is not what I said. I asked if EVERYTHING has to have a purpose, not if what I do has a purpose. For example, what is the purpose if a tree falling in the woods makes a noise if nobody is there to hear it or get out of its way as it falls. In asking the question, my purpose was to see if it would elicit any defensive responses, given the fact that the OP made a modification to his trailer which resulted in personal happiness, a sense of accomplishment, and pride in his workmanship. I wonder what purpose is served by someone responding to his post in a manner that could be construed as an attempt to "rain on his parade." I wouldn't put lighting under my camper, but once again, each to his own. I do not believe that negativity serves any purpose on this forum. Maybe I read too much into things, but I see a lot of negativity and pettiness almost every time I visit this forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

One has to be careful of the written word vs the spoken word. A person with a negative attitude seems to want to jump to a negative conclusion. My reason for asking the question was to determine if there was something I should know. It was point of clarification, not of judgement. Therefore from my point of view one of the responses to my question was judgmental.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:14 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I love this idea. I also would like to know how you attached the lights. It is incredibly practical. It lights up area all around the trailer. Yes, others have lots of lights and lanterns high up and on the ground. As you say, this is much less set-up. Very smart and looks neat.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #19

Name: Hidalga
Trailer: Modified 13' Scamp
Full-Timer
How-To Mount

Firstly, I find the conversation on Purpose engaging, however, CPW needs to be corrected. It’s her trailer, her workmanship and her parade. Thank you.

On installation, I used a combination of ½” copper pipe mounts along with mounting cable ties. 10 copper mounts were put in key points around the run, as they are more secure and less likely to fail over time. Since these straps don’t pinch the light tube, I had flexibility to adjust the entire run where slack/tightening was needed.

With #6 stainless screws, I then started from the middle of the run (in the back under the spare tire) and worked forward one side at a time installing the cable ties, and cinching the rope in place. Note the run goes around the tire well, away from any moving parts. I also made sure all mounts went into the floor and not into the fiberglass mold.
Attached Thumbnails
LED-straps.jpg   LED-wheel.jpg  

Old 09-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
For those interested in this neat idea there are 100's of LED strings offered on eBay. BUT, be careful to be sure to get enclosed, exterior LED's. I recently bought two 16' strings of LED's that were clearly marked for indoor or outdoor use in the eBay ad, but upon receipt were clearly marked "For indoor use only".

I'd suggest asking the seller about this before ordering, no matter what is in the listing. Look for the plastic tube around the lights.

BTW: Many of those currently listed are 12VDC all ready.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #21
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Under Carriage LED Rope Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
Firstly, I find the conversation on Purpose engaging, however, CPW needs to be corrected. It’s her trailer, her workmanship and her parade. Thank you.

So very sorry, Hidalga. No sexism intended. I should have checked your profile more carefully. I think you did a great job and I would add that I understood your purpose from the start. I had a tour of the Oliver factory in Tennessee and they include under carriage lighting as a standard item. So they must consider it a good idea too. It certainly provides a different lighting effect that is rather pleasant. :<)
Old 09-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #22

Full-Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
The lights give it a nice extraterrestrial look. It would look good on Devil's Tower. The led's are popular on custom bike builds these days. (Harleys, not Schwinns)

Tom
I think you're on to something, Tom. You made me laugh, anyway. I just attended the 74th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally last month. There were a few vendors that installed the lighting for bikers, right on site.

I also swung by Devil's Tower on my way back East, not to mention the alien that hangs out on my tow vehicle's rear view mirror…he came on board in Roswell, NM last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Devils-Tower.jpg   road-alien.jpg  

Old 09-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
It is a cool look, Hidalga. You may be responsible for bringing it to the FGRV world. Who knows, someday it may be called the "Hidalga Effect"

I "camped" in Glencoe CG at the '07 Sturgis Rally. I stayed in a pup tent for a week. It was a wild and crazy experience! I've hunted within eyesight of Devil's Tower a few times as well. I love that part of the country.

Live long and prosper

Tom
Old 09-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #24

California
Actually it all ready has a name. Under chassis lights are called "Low Rider Effects" and are popular on vehicles that can do such useful things as change their road clearance by 18", and not always at both ends at that same time, while driving down the street.

This look became so popular with certain groups of Cruisers in SoCal that it was outlawed while the vehicle is in the right-of-way on a public street due to it being distractive to other drivers.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #25

Name: Owen
Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Alberta
Registry
LED Rope lights

Yay, When you camp with friends or at a club meeting, anything that makes your rig stand out from the ordinary is a benefit. It comes in handy in situations like:
"Oh Dear we are running out of Rum, Could you trot over to the trailer with the lights under it and grab the extra bottle off the table?" directed at a younger person in the group.
Yes, I can see great benefits to this, especially when most trailers in the group will be creme colored and nearly all a similar shape!
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:21 PM   #26

California
Quote: "When you retire, everyday becomes Saturday!"

Yuk, Saturday is the worst day of the week. We stay home on Saturdays to avoid the crazies that are trying to stuff everything they have to do into one or two days.

I wouldn't want an entire week of Saturdays, to many really bad memories.

When you retire every day is YOUR day... to do what you want.....
Old 09-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #27

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lindsay View Post
Yay, When you camp with friends or at a club meeting, anything that makes your rig stand out from the ordinary is a benefit. It comes in handy in situations like:
"Oh Dear we are running out of Rum, Could you trot over to the trailer with the lights under it and grab the extra bottle off the table?" directed at a younger person in the group.
Yes, I can see great benefits to this, especially when most trailers in the group will be creme colored and nearly all a similar shape!
LOL funny you should suggest this! On our crazy ladies towing camping trips we do indeed use lights around the trailers - sometimes rope ones under the trailers but also as pathways. That way no one stumbles into the wrong trailer after a long night by the campfire.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:58 PM   #28

Full-Timer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL funny you should suggest this! On our crazy ladies towing camping trips we do indeed use lights around the trailers - sometimes rope ones under the trailers but also as pathways. That way no one stumbles into the wrong trailer after a long night by the campfire.
You crazy k'nooks! Love it, but sometimes stumbling into a companion's trailer during a long night just gets the party started. Hope you mob show up at '15 Scamp Camp in FL.
I'll leave the light on for y'all, southern style.

Tags
light, lighting