Under Carriage LED Rope Lighting - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2014, 07:53 AM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Under Carriage LED Rope Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidalga View Post
Firstly, I find the conversation on Purpose engaging, however, CPW needs to be corrected. It’s her trailer, her workmanship and her parade. Thank you.

So very sorry, Hidalga. No sexism intended. I should have checked your profile more carefully. I think you did a great job and I would add that I understood your purpose from the start. I had a tour of the Oliver factory in Tennessee and they include under carriage lighting as a standard item. So they must consider it a good idea too. It certainly provides a different lighting effect that is rather pleasant. :<)
Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #22

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
The lights give it a nice extraterrestrial look. It would look good on Devil's Tower. The led's are popular on custom bike builds these days. (Harleys, not Schwinns)

Tom
I think you're on to something, Tom. You made me laugh, anyway. I just attended the 74th Sturgis Motorcycle Rally last month. There were a few vendors that installed the lighting for bikers, right on site.

I also swung by Devil's Tower on my way back East, not to mention the alien that hangs out on my tow vehicle's rear view mirror…he came on board in Roswell, NM last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Devils-Tower.jpg   road-alien.jpg  

Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
It is a cool look, Hidalga. You may be responsible for bringing it to the FGRV world. Who knows, someday it may be called the "Hidalga Effect"

I "camped" in Glencoe CG at the '07 Sturgis Rally. I stayed in a pup tent for a week. It was a wild and crazy experience! I've hunted within eyesight of Devil's Tower a few times as well. I love that part of the country.

Live long and prosper

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Actually it all ready has a name. Under chassis lights are called "Low Rider Effects" and are popular on vehicles that can do such useful things as change their road clearance by 18", and not always at both ends at that same time, while driving down the street.

This look became so popular with certain groups of Cruisers in SoCal that it was outlawed while the vehicle is in the right-of-way on a public street due to it being distractive to other drivers.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 PM   #25

Trailer: 1980 Dolphin 14 ft
Registry
LED Rope lights

Yay, When you camp with friends or at a club meeting, anything that makes your rig stand out from the ordinary is a benefit. It comes in handy in situations like:
"Oh Dear we are running out of Rum, Could you trot over to the trailer with the lights under it and grab the extra bottle off the table?" directed at a younger person in the group.
Yes, I can see great benefits to this, especially when most trailers in the group will be creme colored and nearly all a similar shape!
Owen Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:21 PM   #26

Quote: "When you retire, everyday becomes Saturday!"

Yuk, Saturday is the worst day of the week. We stay home on Saturdays to avoid the crazies that are trying to stuff everything they have to do into one or two days.

I wouldn't want an entire week of Saturdays, to many really bad memories.

When you retire every day is YOUR day... to do what you want.....

Old 09-24-2014, 06:39 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Lindsay View Post
Yay, When you camp with friends or at a club meeting, anything that makes your rig stand out from the ordinary is a benefit. It comes in handy in situations like:
"Oh Dear we are running out of Rum, Could you trot over to the trailer with the lights under it and grab the extra bottle off the table?" directed at a younger person in the group.
Yes, I can see great benefits to this, especially when most trailers in the group will be creme colored and nearly all a similar shape!
LOL funny you should suggest this! On our crazy ladies towing camping trips we do indeed use lights around the trailers - sometimes rope ones under the trailers but also as pathways. That way no one stumbles into the wrong trailer after a long night by the campfire.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #28

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL funny you should suggest this! On our crazy ladies towing camping trips we do indeed use lights around the trailers - sometimes rope ones under the trailers but also as pathways. That way no one stumbles into the wrong trailer after a long night by the campfire.
You crazy k'nooks! Love it, but sometimes stumbling into a companion's trailer during a long night just gets the party started. Hope you mob show up at '15 Scamp Camp in FL.
I'll leave the light on for y'all, southern style.
Old 09-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #29

NA
Dimmer Update

I was just in Lowe's, where I purchased the rope lighting, and inquired about dimmers for plug in LED's. It was too easy. Until it gets hard-wired, there's a simple solution.

Although the packaging mentions that the dimmer only works on dimmer-compatible lamps, it successfully worked on the rope lights. Note the 5ft run from the plug, so the dimmer switch can be tucked in a dry, safe location while in camp and can be placed in an easier-to-access location than the extension cord's receptacle.
Attached Thumbnails
LED-package.jpg   LED-dimmer.jpg  

Old 09-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #30

Note that the package sez: "For Dimmable CFL (i.e.,compact fluorescent lights) and LED Bulbs"

For most LED's, the OFF to full ON range is usually about 3.5-5 volts and many common dimmers will not work with them. The good thing about buying it at Lowes is that you can always just take it back, not so with many on-line purchases.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #31

NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
The good thing about buying it at Lowes is that you can always just take it back, not so with many on-line purchases.
Thanks Bob. That's why I have no fear in buying and testing. Walmart also has an excellent return policy on their sewing machines, thus how my Scamp got new custom curtains!
I love excellent return policies. I'll keep the dimmer for the cost.
Old 09-27-2014, 04:41 PM   #32

I have a continuous curtain track on the 3 sides of the Dinette/Bed in my Hunter. I recently added a string of about 128 white, stick-on, exterior, 12 VDC, LED's to help light up the night. It is a bit of overkill, but they were free to me, so what the heck.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:16 PM   #33

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I use a pretty heavy-duty timer for my sticks 'n bricks Christmas lights. I've used it for the rope lights when using them for my trailer.

Thanks for the rememberer.. I've got the Fall NOG coming up. I'm going to take the rope lights (and timer) to the gathering. I'll put them under the trailer and light up my site!

Cool beans
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 08:33 AM   #34

Name: D and R
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
What a great idea. I have been looking on ebay for led rope lights, but they are all listed as 110v. Where do you look on the ebay add to see if they are 12vdc compatible? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 09:22 AM   #35

The strip I used on the curtain rail was a "Carefree Awning LED Roller Lighting Kit" but it is about $80 if you have to buy it.

In the eBay search window enter "12 volt LED strip lights" or "12 volt LED Rope Lights", you will get 100's of listings.

But, if you want to use them outside, be sure to confirm with the seller that they are for exterior use. It's also a plus if they use 3M surface mounting tape.

Tags
light, lighting