Under Carriage LED Rope Lighting - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2014, 12:29 PM   #1

Name: XXX
Trailer: whatever
NA
Under Carriage LED Rope Lighting

As I am continually modifying and maintaining my Scamp as a full-timer, this week's project was to install rope lighting underneath. It's not hard wired; the same extension cord that feeds the battery trickle charger is used to plug it in. Maybe I'll hard wire it in the near future!
Attached Thumbnails
LED-glow.jpg   LED-Under.jpg  

Hidalga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you look at the power supply for the LED rope lights I'll almost bet that the output is 12VDC and you could just run them off of the battery when you don't have 120 VAC available..

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Nice....
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
And the purpose is?
Old 09-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
And the purpose is?
Whimsy Byron, pure Whimsy Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:57 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
adding unobtrusive lighting is an art....
Old 09-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
And the purpose is?

You mean the purpose of owning a trailer to go sleep in the woods when you have a perfectly good bed at home? Or accessorizing your FGRV for better enjoyment? I can dig it.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 05:24 PM   #8

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
And the purpose is?

Does everything have to have a purpose?

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
And the purpose is?
While I do understand your questioning, as it is not for me either, I do understand how people want to glam up their trailer. Fun is fun, no matter how you find a way to do it.

I love lots of the decorating people do, as well as lots of the upgrades, but too much glaring light does tend to annoy some people.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #10

NA
Thanks Bob, I'll look into that idea.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

NA
I appreciate your perspective Jim. I got the idea after seeing several campers either lay rope lighting around their trailers directly on the ground, or they drape the lights on their trailers. I thought a more hassle-free approach would be in spirit, without more to set up and break down each time I moved camp.

Since I full-time, there are some situations the lights are festive and practical. I'm also looking into putting the ambient light on a dimmer, so it's not annoying neighbors, but gives enough indirect light to see my immediate outdoor living space.
I partially covered (painted) Scamp's outside utility light, because I find direct light in the eyes the most annoying and unthoughtful design…my avatar displays the results.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #12

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Oh I do so like your lights! I have wanted to do something like that for years,with one exception I want those soft florescent lights( I want purple ones) like the kids put under trucks & cars. Had to give up on that,but DH has said he will install rope lights for me before next summer.I like the idea of a dimmer switch,too

Happy Camping
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Does everything have to have a purpose?

Like or don't it's a valid question.
When I was camped in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument there was a problem with pack rats. They made nests and chewed wiring and vacuum lines in tow vehicle. One of way to control them was light inside the engine compartment or in one case a string of LED Christmas lights on the ground under the engine. I saw the lights and asked almost the same question, which was answered as stated above.

Now really answer your question. YES everything you do has a purpose, it may or may not be a practical purpose. It may be just Raz pure whimzy, but that's still a purpose, in fact a valid purpose. "I think it looks cool" is also as good a purpose as any, it's still a purpose.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #14

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
The lights give it a nice extraterrestrial look. It would look good on Devil's Tower. The led's are popular on custom bike builds these days. (Harleys, not Schwinns)

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:57 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Now really answer your question. YES everything you do has a purpose, it may or may not be a practical purpose. It may be just Raz pure whimzy, but that's still a purpose, in fact a valid purpose. "I think it looks cool" is also as good a purpose as any, it's still a purpose.

Yes, you're right. Everything I DO has a purpose. But that is not what I said. I asked if EVERYTHING has to have a purpose, not if what I do has a purpose. For example, what is the purpose if a tree falling in the woods makes a noise if nobody is there to hear it or get out of its way as it falls. In asking the question, my purpose was to see if it would elicit any defensive responses, given the fact that the OP made a modification to his trailer which resulted in personal happiness, a sense of accomplishment, and pride in his workmanship. I wonder what purpose is served by someone responding to his post in a manner that could be construed as an attempt to "rain on his parade." I wouldn't put lighting under my camper, but once again, each to his own. I do not believe that negativity serves any purpose on this forum. Maybe I read too much into things, but I see a lot of negativity and pettiness almost every time I visit this forum.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita
Texas
I like the looks of this, but please tell us how you fastened the rope to the underside of the RV.
J.R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Yes, you're right. Everything I DO has a purpose. But that is not what I said. I asked if EVERYTHING has to have a purpose, not if what I do has a purpose. For example, what is the purpose if a tree falling in the woods makes a noise if nobody is there to hear it or get out of its way as it falls. In asking the question, my purpose was to see if it would elicit any defensive responses, given the fact that the OP made a modification to his trailer which resulted in personal happiness, a sense of accomplishment, and pride in his workmanship. I wonder what purpose is served by someone responding to his post in a manner that could be construed as an attempt to "rain on his parade." I wouldn't put lighting under my camper, but once again, each to his own. I do not believe that negativity serves any purpose on this forum. Maybe I read too much into things, but I see a lot of negativity and pettiness almost every time I visit this forum.

One has to be careful of the written word vs the spoken word. A person with a negative attitude seems to want to jump to a negative conclusion. My reason for asking the question was to determine if there was something I should know. It was point of clarification, not of judgement. Therefore from my point of view one of the responses to my question was judgmental.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:14 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I love this idea. I also would like to know how you attached the lights. It is incredibly practical. It lights up area all around the trailer. Yes, others have lots of lights and lanterns high up and on the ground. As you say, this is much less set-up. Very smart and looks neat.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:18 AM   #19

NA
How-To Mount

Firstly, I find the conversation on Purpose engaging, however, CPW needs to be corrected. It’s her trailer, her workmanship and her parade. Thank you.

On installation, I used a combination of ½” copper pipe mounts along with mounting cable ties. 10 copper mounts were put in key points around the run, as they are more secure and less likely to fail over time. Since these straps don’t pinch the light tube, I had flexibility to adjust the entire run where slack/tightening was needed.

With #6 stainless screws, I then started from the middle of the run (in the back under the spare tire) and worked forward one side at a time installing the cable ties, and cinching the rope in place. Note the run goes around the tire well, away from any moving parts. I also made sure all mounts went into the floor and not into the fiberglass mold.
Attached Thumbnails
LED-straps.jpg   LED-wheel.jpg  

Old 09-24-2014, 07:50 AM   #20

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
For those interested in this neat idea there are 100's of LED strings offered on eBay. BUT, be careful to be sure to get enclosed, exterior LED's. I recently bought two 16' strings of LED's that were clearly marked for indoor or outdoor use in the eBay ad, but upon receipt were clearly marked "For indoor use only".

I'd suggest asking the seller about this before ordering, no matter what is in the listing. Look for the plastic tube around the lights.

BTW: Many of those currently listed are 12VDC all ready.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lighting