Under fridge AC install - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #1

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2014 scamp 16
Kansas
Under fridge AC install

I will try to attach a photo of the AC Installed under the fridge on our 16' Scamp. Got the idea from a couple of posts on this site several months ago. I looked for weeks to find a window AC that blows the air up, instead of straight out the front. It works great. Not being on the top of the trailer, it is very quiet. Doesn't vibrate the whole trailer like a roof top AC. The back part of the AC actually rests on the trailer frame, and is anchored to the fiberglass cabinet with aluminum angle pieces. I forgot who the guy(s) are that posted the procedure, but he was ingenious.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2507.jpg  

Old 12-14-2014, 02:55 PM   #2

Name: Clive
Trailer: Boler American #3104
Florida
Registry
Neat install.

I would be interested to see the venting or progress pics.

Old 12-14-2014, 08:46 PM   #3

Kansas
Since I was following pics of a previous post when installing the AC, I didn't take picts. I put the trailer in storage last week, but will try to get some more picts of the venting in a few days.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #4

Kansas
fridg

I finally got around to moving the trailer out of the shed and taking some picts. Needed to reseal the intake air grilles anyway. Hopefully can get all 5 photos posted. The hood to divert exhaust air through the floor was made out of foil stock used to custom fabricate air ducts, bought at a building supply store. You can cut and bend it relatively easily. I used a few small metal screws to hold it in place, and then used professional duct tape to seal the edges. You can see the spaces on each side for the intake air. And there is about 3/4 inch space on top, which is hard to see in the picture.

I couldn't find a large flexible screened grille to fit the opening, so used a small generic aluminum grill on the bottom, and overlapped it with a larger one on top. Was afraid just the one larger grille on top wouldn't give enough air flow.

This installation is much easier if you have a closet next to the door, as was the install I copied. Working under the fridg is a pain in the neck--and back. I also used sealer and tape to stop the small openings into the cabinet area. I hard wired the unit into the roof AC line and circuit breaker. I would recommend a 6,000 btu AC unit. The 5,000 one has to really work hard when the outside temp gets near 100.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Kansas
Somehow I didn't get the photos uploaded. Here is another try.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF2632.jpg   DSCF2633.jpg  

DSCF2636.jpg   DSCF2637.jpg  

Old 01-18-2015, 02:20 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Looks good Jim but I'm wondering as it is out in the walkway has it caused anyone to trip over it ?
Old 01-18-2015, 08:06 AM   #7

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM Midway usa View Post
I would recommend a 6,000 btu AC unit. The 5,000 one has to really work hard when the outside temp gets near 100.
This is my experience. I replaced a 5K with a 6K and am MUCH happier. The 5K units are cheap and built to a price point and the 6K was a lot more money but also seems to be built significantly more robustly. I know it cools a lot better than the 5K did. I think there are 8K units close in physical size also that I would look at if doing it again. I did add a fan to help get the heat out of the compartment when at the beach and believe it really helps.
Old 01-18-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

Kansas
Dave, it only sticks out about 4", and is up off the floor the same height as the cabinet overhang (toe space). I never notice it is there when moving around.

Tim, I wanted an AC unit that blew the air up, instead of horizontal, which limited what was used with the fridg above. The 16 ft. trailer (side dinette) with the small fridg (if I remember correctly) has a closet there, which allows much more space to work with, and a larger AC unit. The fan to increase air flow is a good idea.

Tags
fridge