Unique table idea - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2017, 03:40 PM   #1

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Unique table idea

I think this is a unique idea for an alternative to the dinette table:

This camper owner made his out of galvanized pipe but I would like to make a more refined version. I had thought of using 1" copper pipe but do not know if it would be strong enough. My table will be about 1/2 the size of the one in the video. Any suggestions for material? Anything I choose would have to have fittings to go along with the pipe.
Thanks in advance.

Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Adding a front table to a Scamp using the Lagun Swiveling Cockpit Table Mounting Syst

Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 04:28 PM   #3

Ontario
Of course the Lagun leg system is a beautiful answer to the problem but for those of us who are trying to do our rebuilds on a budget, I think the van fellow's table is a good way to go.
Nobody talks much about the cost of this "hobby" but I am finding that all the small costs for materials, tools and supplies like resin, adhesives etc. really add up. I am always on the lookout for ways to make an appealing and functional "home from home " while staying within a budget.
Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia D. View Post
Of course the Lagun leg system is a beautiful answer to the problem but for those of us who are trying to do our rebuilds on a budget, I think the van fellow's table is a good way to go.
As the guy who did the same thing with the Lagun system, let me say that you are 100% right. The Laguan mount is not cheap. But however you do it, let me also tell you that I am very happy with the swivel table for the front sofa on the Scamp.

But you must make sure the base is strong enough. The fiberglass bench on a Scamp is not beefy enough, and even the method I used might not be good enough. So far it has been fine but I do catch my clothing on the levers on the Lagun mount on occasion and I am a little concerned that doing that, or just using it as something to grab, might cause a failure (esp. around children who don't know that they cannot put their weight on it).

I think that using either method, this is, for the most part, a table for one in a Scamp. Even if the mount could support a larger table than I use, anything larger would not be as practical. I have the layout #4 Scamp with the side bath so that also limits the seating area, but if the bathroom was not there, I guess two people could share the table although it would be a crowded table.

The Laguan mount can easily be removed. At first I though that, while getting ready to hit the road, I needed to remove the table and mount, and store them securely. But I have been putting a pillow on the sofa, then lowering the table and pushing it down firmly on the pillow, and locking all three levers on the Laguan mount. This makes it secure for traveling and has worked fine over 100's of miles. I'm not sure the DIY with pipes method would fare as well.. but removing it and securing it for travel would not be hard either.
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:17 PM   #5

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
do a web search using the following keywords "pipe handrail fittings" That will turn up some nicely made, readily available, components you can put together that don't cost two arms and two legs.
k corbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:22 PM   #6

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
Maybe not two arms and two legs, but at least two elbows. 8D
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:41 PM   #7

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
Maybe not two arms and two legs, but at least two elbows. 8D
only one elbow required
k corbin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:46 PM   #8

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
Two. One to hold the table, and one to hold the refreshment from all that hard work.
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
only one elbow required
Actually, according to the diagram supplied by the guy in the video.. it looks like even the cheap version will cost you and arm and a leg, and TWO elbows... LOL

(Text and arrows added to video screenshot for illustration)
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled-1 copy.jpg  
gordon2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #10

Ontario
Thanks for the feedback and the laughs. Love this forum.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
I just watched the video and this is exactly what I had in mind for our Boler just had not gotten around to engineering it but his idea is genius
Old 06-08-2017, 10:40 PM   #12

Ontario
I do think it is very clever. I like how it moves in several directions. I am going to make one about half that size but want to make it a little less industrial looking, if possible. I am looking at sources for other materials like stainless, aluminum etc. Want to keep it as inexpensive as I can.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

Name: Tap
Trailer: 2015 17' Casita Independence, 2010 Escape 19’
Florida
LOVE this!

TappyGee is offline   Reply With Quote