Updating my '77 13' Trillium (w/pics) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1984 13' UHaul
Louisiana
Registry
I'm still here! I finished the doors but haven't put the last two on yet (and stained them). I got my 9" X 9" fan. It looks to be good quality but only use will tell. So, I need to get it installed.
I got sidetracked with a bigger project. I've started the process of putting the 2.3L Ford engine in my VW. That will take some doing but has to be done in order to pull my camper where I want to go.
I'll be back with the finished cabinet doors soon!

Check this out!-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1134811

Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #16

Name: Ken
Trailer: 1989 Bigfoot
British Columbia
Nice woodwork, love the countertop you are doing a great redo on your trailer . That VW trailer is wild ,ahead of it's time for sure . Thanks for the pictures

Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #17

Louisiana
Registry
Here's the link to my Ford to VW conversion. It's a process that takes time and I've just started. It'll be awhile before I've got some good "in the woods" pictures.
Shoptalkforums.com • View topic - 2.3L Ford into 1971 Single cab
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #18

Name: Anne
Trailer: '74 Boler
Alberta
Loving the counter top! I've been considering doing something similar. How did you attach the new countertop to the existing unit?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
It's really unreal that an A/C is required in a 13' (10') small trailer but I guess if down south the weather is a lot diff from up here in Canada. We can usually get away w/just a fan, the evenings are usually cool so a smasll heater is a more useful item.
in 50 years of camping only had a couple of days which were hot, parking in the shade useful.
Doing a great reno Mike keep pictures coming.
Ron
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #20

Louisiana
Registry
aumpleby- Attaching the new top to old is easy. As long as everything is apart you can run a wood screw through the original top (it has a 3/4" wood backing) and into the new top. I just put three in to hold it in place.
The sink is another thing. I couldn't make the original brackets work. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart. I drilled two holes in opposite corners of the sink (yes, it's hard to drill through stainless steel) and ran a wood screw all the way through to the old wood. I'll take a picture of the "decorative" caps for the screws when I get home.
Now I have 5 screws holding the top down. After attaching the two new faucets I have a total of 9 screws. I think it will be ok!

Ron- we had 67 days over 100F last year. That is a new record, but it does routinely get into the high 90'sF in the day (don't forget our very oppressive humidity down here, either)!
While I'm used to the heat during the day, I still need cooler, drier air at night to sleep well. So yeah, I even take a genny with me when I'm "primitirving" (hey, I made up a word )
As a side note, I would really like to visit Canada one day.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:59 AM   #21

Ontario
Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #22

Louisiana
Registry
Ron - the picture didn't come through.

Edit- I went to your registry and read it. Tom out in Cali, has secured brand new ceiling tracks for our Trilliums.
Here-
Original Vintage Trillium Ceiling Track
Old 03-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #23

Ontario
Thanks
Yes I see that.
Having a problem relating to ( URL & http:// )
Will work on it.
Ronn
Old 04-14-2012, 07:04 PM   #24

Louisiana
Registry
I got some more work done today. First, I finished all the doors and installed them. They look great. Then, I finally got my fresh air fan hooked up and installed. It is a 200mm fan for a computer. After removing the old "stuff" that was up there, -The PO had installed an AC exhaust vent and riveted it in- I cut a piece of wood and mounted the fan to it. I wedged it up there and wired it up. It's just a plug and play (no on/off switch). There is a plug, though.
It's VERY quiet. It wasn't expensive. BUT it wasn't made for this purpose- we'll see how long it lasts!
It is not sealed up yet in these pics-

Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #25

Louisiana
Registry
Hi all, I haven't done a whole lot of work to the camper but have done some.
Until I tear it apart next year and paint it, there's only little things to do.
Things to do-
1) hook up the batteries to solar (I have a new 125 watt panel)
2) hook up the solar panel to the charge controller
3) hook up the charge controller to the camper wiring
4) recover my front bench half-seat and mount it
5) let the wife start personalizing the camper!
I found some of those area pads you stand on that are padded and relieve stress on your feet. I'm using two of them under my fridge. I also mounted some "d" rings on the bench to strap down the fridge when in transit (pic). I haven't made up my mind on permanently mounting the solar panel on top of the camper or making a stand for it and just following the sun around with it.
I welded a crack in the edge of the receiver part of the hitch today and thought I'd update the thread. Here's a few pics-

Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #26

Louisiana
Registry
Forgot to mention we're going camping next weekend. It'll be the first time to pull it with the new 2.3 Ford Mustang engine in this. It's in the back, bolted up to the VW tranny with the radiator under the truck.

Here's my goats that are always willing to act as my weed eaters and the camper in the back
Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #27

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
Ha, Love the Goats...bet they would love to climb on the camper too. Have been following your original thread and wanted to say I like the open space wide counter top. For someone who is not a woodworker, you did a wonderful job!
Am curious about the Rocket pump, what is that and how does that work?
Also have been curious about your fridge. How long can you run it on 12 volt?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #28

Louisiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Davis View Post
Ha, Love the Goats...bet they would love to climb on the camper too. Have been following your original thread and wanted to say I like the open space wide counter top. For someone who is not a woodworker, you did a wonderful job!
Am curious about the Rocket pump, what is that and how does that work?
Also have been curious about your fridge. How long can you run it on 12 volt?
Thanks for the props!
The rocket pump should be called a "rocker pump". Because that's what you do with the handle. It's just a manual pump to pull water from the clean tank when you don't have city water (i.e. - pressure).

Running the fridge on 12V can be done indefinitly. That is if you have the right set-up. I believe I have the right set-up even though I haven't put it to the test.
The fridge only uses 2.8A on 12V.
My 125 watt solar panel puts out approximately 7A in full sun.
That leaves around 4A to be charging the batteries during the day.

Before this set-up I had an Engel fridge that used the same amount of amps and I only had a 60 watt panel. I could go for about a week in the winter before I had to start the truck up and charge the batteries.
I still have the 60 watt panel - just in case - but I don't think I'll have a problem.

BTW- the fridge is a Whytner. It is about 1/3 the cost of an Engel that's 1/2 the size! The only downside is it's Chinese and the Engel is Australian. The Engel is top of the line and I wish I hadn't sold it but so far the Whynter is performing fine.

Tags
trillium