Updating my '77 13' Trillium (w/pics) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1996 16' Casita SD
Louisiana
Registry
Updating my '77 13' Trillium (w/pics)

I'm one to keep a record of the work I do so I'm starting this thread to show my updating of my very first FG camper. I already have a thread in brakes section showing the adding of electric brakes and re-wiring.
Now that I've moved into the inside, I can't believe how fast I had to stand back and say "Oops!, I did it again"!

We had about 2 1/2" of rain yesterday and I found I have a small leak in the back window. When you remove a screw and it is rusty you know you've had a problem with moisture at sometime in the past. So far, every screw I've taken out has been rusty. I guess I've got to replace some wood before it gets painted.

Immediate Plans-
1) replace counter top
2) take out stove top
3) install AC (where fridge used to be)
4) install shelf for TV/monitor
5) install stereo

That's good start. Other things will pop up as I go along.
I hope this journey will help others in planning their camper.
Pics in the next post - got to do the download thang!
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post

Immediate Plans-
1) replace counter top
Do you have a Trillium Jubilee? The counter top on my Trillium is fibreglass. the only way to replace would be to install on top of the fibreglass.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #3

Louisiana
Registry
Here goes!
First pic- the PO had his AC ducted through this. It will come out and a new fan be put in.

All of these wires will be "fixed"

With this-

This is where the Ac will be. It will be "UP" off the floor and ducted properly using the factory vents on the outside.

I have an 85 quart Whynter fridge that will on the front bench. In 12V mode, it uses less than half the amps of the original fridge. So, off grid camping is more battery friendly. I have 64 watt Unisolar solar panel that will keep the batteries topped off. I haven't decided if I want to mount it or move it around to follow the sun.
The stove will be a portable one that is used mostly outdoors. I'll have a quick disconnect inside and out.
Thanks for looking and any suggestions to other threads that may help me is very welcome!
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Louisiana
Registry
David- I'm going to put another top on top. Sorry, I could have been more clear!
Old 01-28-2012, 04:39 PM   #5

Louisiana
Registry
Made some headway in the last couple of days! Here's the wires- the extra two black and white are for the power to the new fridge (12V only). I'm going to put a receptacle in the right side of the counter for it. Why yes, that little black box IS a fuse block for a 1960 VW Beetle

Next up- I built a little stand for AC. It puts the AC right level with the heat release grate for the old fridge. That is the top one on the outside of

The top of the AC and the old ductwork -before and after the insulation. The insulation/duct will carry the hot air outside and separate the inside air from it.

That's it for now. I already have my new counter top cut and stained but am waiting on a new rocket pump.
I'll post that later.
I'm happy with the progress!
Old 02-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Louisiana
Registry
I wanted to put this link in my thread so I can find it easily- (AC install in closet_)
https://picasaweb.google.com/brysthe...at=directlink#

I've finished the counter top wit two coats of semi-gloss polyurethane and am still waiting for my new rocket pump before installing.
I also made a new drawer front to see how it will look. It's hard building a frame for a drawer front or door without the proper tools!
Pictures later (I'm at work).
Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #7

Louisiana
Registry
OK! Rocket pump came in yesterday. I got it fitted and mocked up the top and drawer front just to see how it looks. I think it's way better than original. It will lighten up the place. When I get done, if some one wants the original doors, they will be free -just pay shipping.
Also, included is my fridge. I think a 65 quart (it's 85) would have been the perfect height. Might get one in the future.
Fridge facts- Whynter (China) - 2.8 A @ 12v- 85 qt.. Aslo, runs on 110AC

Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM   #8

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
Nice work. Keep those pictures coming.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM   #9

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
Looks nice... love to follow your work thru the pics!
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM   #10

Louisiana
Registry
Did a little more this weekend.
I wired a 110V plug in the front seat right by the front door. I can use it for the fridge or those out door lights that we love to string around the awning. (I still need an awning!).
Wired a 12V plug in the side of the counter - also for the fridge when in the woods. It fit perfectly in the little air vent.
Also got two more cabinet doors made.
It's the "Oh no! Mr, Bill!" plug

12 volts anyone?

Bad pic, but you can see the new doors

I also built a stand under the front seat to assist on holding up the fridge. It's nothing more than two boards, but it will work.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:41 PM   #11

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
That countertop is a beauty!

The big gray box - that's your fridge? Serious business!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #12

Louisiana
Registry
Jen- yeah it's an 85 quart. I figure it will be good to save house food in if the power goes out. A 65 quart would probably fit in the camper better though.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #13

Louisiana
Registry
I got the AC enclosed. It is sort of a - just do it as you go - thing. I'm not a carpenter but I do like trying! You can see how the drawer front is not square. It was the first time I used a miter box. I'll probably redo it if it keeps bothering me. I will finish the rest of doors before I redo anything.
The panel at the bottom of the AC is a door, there's storage room there. I'll get the hinges tomorrow.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #14

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
As I used to say "Close enough for government work" or "A little moulding will cover that"
doing these things is what makes you happy then continue, it's your rv, make it anyway you want. I like your counter top finish and the rocket pump, thought of putting one of those in for winter camping.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #15

Louisiana
Registry
I'm still here! I finished the doors but haven't put the last two on yet (and stained them). I got my 9" X 9" fan. It looks to be good quality but only use will tell. So, I need to get it installed.
I got sidetracked with a bigger project. I've started the process of putting the 2.3L Ford engine in my VW. That will take some doing but has to be done in order to pull my camper where I want to go.
I'll be back with the finished cabinet doors soon!

Check this out!-
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1134811
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #16

Trailer: 1976 Surfside
Nice woodwork, love the countertop you are doing a great redo on your trailer . That VW trailer is wild ,ahead of it's time for sure . Thanks for the pictures
ken h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 07:36 AM   #17

Louisiana
Registry
Here's the link to my Ford to VW conversion. It's a process that takes time and I've just started. It'll be awhile before I've got some good "in the woods" pictures.
Shoptalkforums.com • View topic - 2.3L Ford into 1971 Single cab
Old 03-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #18

Name: Anne
Trailer: '74 Boler
Alberta
Loving the counter top! I've been considering doing something similar. How did you attach the new countertop to the existing unit?
aumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #19

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
It's really unreal that an A/C is required in a 13' (10') small trailer but I guess if down south the weather is a lot diff from up here in Canada. We can usually get away w/just a fan, the evenings are usually cool so a smasll heater is a more useful item.
in 50 years of camping only had a couple of days which were hot, parking in the shade useful.
Doing a great reno Mike keep pictures coming.
Ron
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #20

Louisiana
Registry
aumpleby- Attaching the new top to old is easy. As long as everything is apart you can run a wood screw through the original top (it has a 3/4" wood backing) and into the new top. I just put three in to hold it in place.
The sink is another thing. I couldn't make the original brackets work. You'll see what I mean when you take it apart. I drilled two holes in opposite corners of the sink (yes, it's hard to drill through stainless steel) and ran a wood screw all the way through to the old wood. I'll take a picture of the "decorative" caps for the screws when I get home.
Now I have 5 screws holding the top down. After attaching the two new faucets I have a total of 9 screws. I think it will be ok!

Ron- we had 67 days over 100F last year. That is a new record, but it does routinely get into the high 90'sF in the day (don't forget our very oppressive humidity down here, either)!
While I'm used to the heat during the day, I still need cooler, drier air at night to sleep well. So yeah, I even take a genny with me when I'm "primitirving" (hey, I made up a word )
As a side note, I would really like to visit Canada one day.

Tags
trillium