Upper Cabinets - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2018, 02:03 PM   #1

Name: Kat
Trailer: In the market!
British Columbia
Upper Cabinets

Another question from me - I've read in my travels that taking out the upper cabinets can cause all sorts of strife - what do you expert folks say about this? It's such a beautiful remodel, it's almost swaying me from my desire to have an armadillo built (maybe. Maybe not quite. I dunno...)

katnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

British Columbia
Hmmm, I can't get the picture to load! Maybe this'll work..

https://photos.app.goo.gl/l9IpYnFUDIpCKCBt2
Old 05-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
The upper cabinets and the wrought iron support are structural pieces, as is the closet, if you remove the cabinets you have to put in something else to support the roof.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 02:42 PM   #4

British Columbia
That’s what I thought..I don’t see anything in the pictures! The wardrobe is still there but isn’t that the other side?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by katnz View Post
That’s what I thought..I don’t see anything in the pictures! The wardrobe is still there but isn’t that the other side?
It sort of depends on which trailer you are talking about too?????
I see no way to know what we are talking about?

I have owned a Scamp for instance that was not made with any support between the counter and upper cabinets at all so they are not always needed to support the cabinets or roof.

What trailer is your link of?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:53 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Molded fiberglass is not a rigid material. Without some kind of support or reinforcement (1) it will gradually lose its original shape, typically sagging at the roof and bulging out at the middle, and (2) it is more vulnerable to a catastrophic failure under heavy snow loads. There are many ways to provide that support. Scamp, Boler, and similar designs rely on interior cabinetry. Others use a separate inner shell or structural cored fiberglass process.

While I won't doubt, Ed, that your Scamp was built without the galley support, I have to wonder whether it was done at the buyer's request. As far as I have seen, their normal factory build included the support from the start, but Scamp will accommodate many delete requests. One thing they will never leave out is the closet by the door.

The trailer in the photo looks great. It does appear to be a Boler or clone, but as Ed says it's not certain. If it is, the lack of support on the street side could be a problem. It's not the kind of thing that means instant catastrophe (assuming it is protected from snow loads), but it could be an issue over time. It's also possible the remodel incorporated alternate reinforcement, but I don't see any evidence of it.

Bottom line... fiberglass shells do need support. There are ways to accomplish that and have an open layout, if you don't mind some work. For a great example, see Ian G's thread It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:49 AM   #7

British Columbia
Sorry guys, my link didn’t post and I didn’t realize! This is the boler in question

https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...idge-bc-canada
Old 05-12-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

British Columbia
Also I guess it’s currently in Vancouver, where it doesn’t really snow - so hasn’t had to deal with snowmageddon on the roof. Here in the Okanagan it certainly would ��
Old 05-12-2018, 09:10 AM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Casita 16ft.
California
All cabinets in these trailers supply some amount of rigidity, in the fiberglass body. Some more, some less. If the cabinet does not provide outright floor to ceiling support it provides stiffness in structurally weak areas such as in the door or around large openings such as windows, doors or vents openings. They do this not because the cabinet by itself is necessarily strong but that when it is coupled with the body, they form a sort of monocoque type structure where they are strong in tandem. Floor to ceiling cabinets provide the most because they stiffen a section of wall from floor to ceiling. But the half wall monocoque created by the lower kitchen cabinet structure is also critical also in that it stiffens weak areas around the fender box and the large fridge vent openings.

It is the small overhead cabinet in the kitchen area is the only cabinet that I believe you are asking about. I would say that there might be be some structural impact, but it would be very minimal.
Nor Cal Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;697207]Molded fiberglass is not a rigid material. Without some kind of support or reinforcement (1) it will gradually lose its original shape, typically bulging out at the middle, and (2) it is vulnerable to a catastrophic failure under heavy snow loads. There are many ways to provide that support. Scamp, Boler, and similar designs rely on interior cabinetry.

Jon, our 2nd Scamp 13’ Deluxe that we bought used, didn’t have the supports by the sink either, and I think it was built that way, but it did have a noticable sag in the roof, which I corrected by adding support rods from the sink area to the overhead cabinets.
Lil Snoozy, Lil Hauley (cargo trailer designed off the LS), HC1, and I believe the new Airstream Nest do not require internal support for the shell, as I believe they all use a different process (vacuum bag?) which makes for a much thicker shell, more like a fiberglass ski boat.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Upper Cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mike View Post
...It is the small overhead cabinet in the kitchen area is the only cabinet that I believe you are asking about. I would say that there might be be some structural impact, but it would be very minimal.
The metal support between the galley and upper cabinet in some Bolers and most 13' Scamps provides the only continuous floor-to-ceiling support on that side of the trailer. I am of the opinion that if you leave off the upper cabinet it is best to provide alternate roof support on that side.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote