Upper console over bed picture - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2006, 10:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 73 Boler
I finished the upper storage over the bed /table. It was a bit difficult getting the pattern right. 1/4 inch birch stained in cherry with cherry trim,cherry doors, and cherry bezel clock. Heres a quick peek. Cushions will be finished in a few weeks and curtains to follow. Battery box under bed is complete and sealed with ventilation to the outside. All wired and ready to roll.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg  
colin k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #2
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
That's terrific, Colin. You really did a good job.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:31 AM   #3

Name: Roy
Trailer: Boler 1975 13 ft
California
I can imagine making the pattern was more than a bit difficult - definatly worth the effort!

Roy
Roy Massen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #4
Con

Trailer: 1977 Boler 1300
Very nice work! You have obviously done some cabinet work before.
I am thinking of maybe adding a cabinet similar to that in ours, however it won't be in the nice wood like yours.
Con is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Very nice work.
Chris C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Colin,
It's a beautiful job for sure.
How it it attached to the trailer? The standard rivet method?
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 03:31 PM   #7

Thanks guys. I know how much you like pictures.

Its attached with rivets right now but will soon be stainless bolts and accorn nuts, just waiting for the stainless washers to arrive. Its still the fiberglass consol that was there before but faced with wood.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Colin,

That red cherry covering sure gives a more exquisite look than the stark white fiberglass!

Are you also replacing all your rivets in the coach with stainless threaded fasteners?

What fastener head type are you using?

What method are you using to seal the fasteners?

As a side note, I have this mind/heart teeter-totter going.

In my mind I would like my FGRV to be stark, white and equipped with a drain so I could clean the insides out with a pressure washer after each jaunt and be done with it in about five minutes. Only the basics. Less is more. Zen.

But in my heart I love the beauty and texture of wood, cloth, carrpet stainless steel and all the creature comforts both physical and visual, real and virtual.

Presently, it seems neither is winning. With each idea from the heart, the mind asks if it really is worth the effort and in the overall balance of things will it actually make the traveling experience better?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:32 AM   #9

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Boler and 1980 Trillium 5500
Great Job Colin - that is beautiful. My '76 Boler has an overhead cupboard like hat and was equipped with a clock from the factory. There was a small quartz movement mounted inside that drove the hands and the numbers were adhered directly to the 'glass. It's the only one I've seen with that option. It was rather ugly though, so i removed it, but have been considering replacing it with more attractive numbers, or using the small hole there to mount a taxidermy sunfish... I'm leaning towards the latter. Cheers! Alec
Al Stansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #10

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Loren,
Methinks your are negating the point here. Part of the journey (& sometimes the best part) is in the creative process of beautifing your FGRV. Your own creativity and the accolades of observers are very rewarding portions of the trip. The reward seems to improve the farther you are from home, when you are asked for a tour and a newby is exposed to your handiwork.

Colin,
The accents on the table ends enhance the continuity. Do you have any cherry in the front of your TT, to balance the beautiful overhead cabinet front? Possibly a closet door? Contrast with lighter cabinet doors is a nice touch. If you go all the way with cherry the effect will probably be overwhelming. Thank you for sharing!

So...enjoy all aspects of the journey
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:15 AM   #11

Thanks guys. I have always loved wood. It brings warmth and coziness. The rivets are all being replaced with stainless bolts(button head)accorn nuts and probably rubber or butyl washers on the outside. I havent decided yet. I decided to add a clock to fill in the space between the doors. You cant see it but the face of the clock has a boler monogram. I didnt know Boler put clocks in their RVs. Must have been a deluxe model. I did post pictures of the galley as well as the closet somewhere. All done in cherry. So the woodwork is pretty much done. Curtains and new cushions will bring it all together.

BTW. The boler i bought was originally stolen and the interior was not all there. Cushions were missing, no fridge, no stove, no heater,table was warped. It was pretty bad but since i was going to redo it anyways it was fine by me. The cushions will all be done in a persian design with black vinyl on edges and backs. Black piping as well. Curtains havent been made yet because i want to see how things look with the new cushions.
Attached Thumbnails
closet.jpg   galley_2.jpg  

galley.jpg  
Old 04-15-2006, 06:28 AM   #12

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Exquisite! What finish varnish did you apply to the wood? It's perfect.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Exquisite! What finish varnish did you apply to the wood? It's perfect.
Satin Laquer.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #14

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Scamp
That is AMAZING. I LOVE cherry, it is my favorite. It makes me want to drool. Excellent job!
Deb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:08 AM   #15

Name: andrew
Trailer: 1973 13' Trillium
British Columbia
Hi Colin K! Beautiful! I am new to the forum but have had a 1973 Trillium 1300 for 6 yrs and will try to do some reno's this fall! Do you happen to have the pattern for the overhead cabinet or how did you make a pattern for it? Also-for the closet space....did you completely remove the original closet and then build one out of cherry? If yes, how did you remove the original closet? I think the closet is rivoted in but have I have never removed rivots before? Lastly, what and where could I buy the hardware to secure the closet door to the original fiberglass closet? Yo indicate using SS bolts "on the outside" so do you have a picture of this? Thanks for any help and have a wonderful day!
jagbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #16

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
The topic you are posting in dates to the year 2006 and Colin has not logged into this forum in the last 8 years so it unlikely you will get a reply from him.

Not too worry, a lot of new to the forum members don't realize in their excitement that some topics are more than a decade old and that many people upon completion of their projects do not stay active in the forum.

The best thing to do at this time is just to post in the section "owners helping owners" any questions you do have on how to do your repairs and modifications.

Have fun
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote