Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #41

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
And here is a better pic with the new paint job!
Note the gliders on the curtain track! Does anyone have info if they are the same size as CW sales? Or better yet the gliders that are sold on the tape?
And no it is not pink paint. It is a light brown like cream.
Attached Thumbnails
100_0167.JPG   100_0168.JPG  

100_0171.jpg  
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #42

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
What is the minimum rear clearance on the outside unit. I was told 12" on my split unit in order to circulate the air efficiently. I'm curious if that is the same with yours? Also how much more weight are you putting on the tongue compared to the propane tank?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #43

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is the minimum rear clearance on the outside unit. I was told 12" on my split unit in order to circulate the air efficiently. I'm curious if that is the same with yours? Also how much more weight are you putting on the tongue compared to the propane tank?
It does say 12 inches but if you get the brackets to install on a wall you wont have 12 inches. So WTF? Another egg head on this site showed me pics of many units installed next to walls and on brackets that don't have the 12 inch rule. Besides my a/c buddy so don't worry about that too much. Mine unit is maybe 4 to 5 inches away from the egg and it says it is 80 lbs (about) Where better to put extra weight than on the tongue! The inside unit is under 20 lbs. And I was so shocked how quite they are. I had to get the neighbors to check it out. One of my neighbors is going to buy one for his garage (man cave) now. It was so easy to hook up even a egg head can do it.
Would I do it again? Hell ya, even the wife is happy. Better than a window unit and a roof top. Very very little noise. Less than a table top fan. I found out after the fact that you can turn on the vents to swing up and down as it blows cold air. I am just shocked no one else has done this. I did buy it at only 349.00 and it came with everything.
I will be putting a propane tank in front of the unit (just one). I am looking for a single tank bracket now. But it isnt on the top of my list to do. We are off to buy the Traffic Master Allure Ultra wood flooring next. It is 100 percent water poof and looks like wood. Then curtains then cushions, so if you can point me in the right way on that......
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #44

Name: Jim
Trailer: in the market
California
Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit

Now that you have installed the mini-split, it's been over a year, how has it worked out? I'm working on a 16' trailer to be used for emergency communications and am considering a 13,500 btu roof type heat pump. I've installed inverter type mini-splits before and have considered it too. The spacing between your condenser and front wall concerns me, if you don't have a huge load, may not make any difference. Were you not able to find an inverter unit that ran on 120 VAC?

Jim
emptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #45

Name: JD
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Maryland
Registry
AC Alternatives

Just spent a season using this locally produced AC system. Works great, no trailer modifications, and cheap compared to other approaches. This weekend (Labor Day 2014) was in the 90's where we were camping and it ran way too cold on the lowest setting. Weighs about 60 lbs and will mount on the hitch with a optional rack. When hitch mounted you can feed cold air in the front window and exhaust from the side or install a thru-wall 6" fitting low near the floor. We're really pleased- and we use it hat home in a pinch when the AC failed in our family room!
Attached Thumbnails
2portairinplacewducts.jpg   3portairreturnductdetail.jpg  

4portairsidewindowductdetail.jpg   1portairductdetails.jpg  

JD1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #46

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
JD1994, what's the make & model of your AC unit?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:43 AM   #47

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Florida
5000 btu fits nice in the front window when needed. When not needed stores nice under front seat. Cost is $119 at Sears and Lowes....
Attached Thumbnails
Frigidaire 5000 BTU 002.jpg  
Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 07:05 PM   #48

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Update? I just got a Burro 14 that needs an AC(I live in Florida and like to sleep late). Looking for a 9k mini split. The Bargaintory.com site is gone. Amazon has a Pioneer heat pump model for $700.
After reading about installation, I have almost decided to just take it in to an RV shop and have them do it right, but if the lines don't need evacuation, I might do it myself.
Trying to decide on location. The unit would go on the tongue. How is that 4 inches instead of 12 inches working? I'm guessing the propane tank should stay on the tongue too, but might try to move the battery(27) to the rear bumper.
The Burro has no obvious place inside with a flat area big enough. Can it be mounted on the ceiling?
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:05 AM   #49

Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The lines and the inside , but the lines and inside unit must be evacuated.
A vacuum pump can be purchased reasonably from Harbor freight, but you need to be sure that there are no leaks by having a gauge to read very low necessary numbers and verify leak free.
I used a Harbor freight vac pump and my company had gauges. I have installed two of these units (Comfortaire) the first on the 16' Scamp and the second for a Florida room at my "new" house.
I have found them to work well. The installation is complicated if you have a poor quality lineset with poorly formed flare fitttings like my second system. I had to remake both ends and I might as well have just bought copper lines rather than line sets.
By the way the COmfortaire I used is an inverter unit and runs well from my Harbor Freight 2500 watt inverter generator and would probably work just fine with any of the inverter 2000 watt units as well. There is no starting surge and perhaps 9 amps at full load.
It seems to be very efficient and quiet and provides heat down to a pretty low temp. For backup I have a small ceramic heater
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:42 PM   #50

Name: Carah
Trailer: Expedition trailer
Oklahoma
I love your idea! Where did you find your split unit and what brand is it? Thank you!
Carah C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 07:37 PM   #51

Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I bought mine as a special from Johnstone Supply when I was a maintenance manager, but there are a lot for sale on the internet etc.
Mine is a Comfort Air, but the same one is branded with several different stickers.
My unit is a 9000 BTU heat pump and I chose it because it operated off 120 VAC.
The unit also has an inverter driven compressor and a variable speed fan drive in the inside unit.
The power usage is low and there is no starting surge like most others.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 08:33 PM   #52

Name: Carah
Trailer: Expedition trailer
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
I bought mine as a special from Johnstone Supply when I was a maintenance manager, but there are a lot for sale on the internet etc.
Mine is a Comfort Air, but the same one is branded with several different stickers.
My unit is a 9000 BTU heat pump and I chose it because it operated off 120 VAC.
The unit also has an inverter driven compressor and a variable speed fan drive in the inside unit.
The power usage is low and there is no starting surge like most others.
Thank you so much for the information! That helps a lot!
Carah C is offline   Reply With Quote