Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
What is the minimum rear clearance on the outside unit. I was told 12" on my split unit in order to circulate the air efficiently. I'm curious if that is the same with yours? Also how much more weight are you putting on the tongue compared to the propane tank?
It does say 12 inches but if you get the brackets to install on a wall you wont have 12 inches. So WTF? Another egg head on this site showed me pics of many units installed next to walls and on brackets that don't have the 12 inch rule. Besides my a/c buddy so don't worry about that too much. Mine unit is maybe 4 to 5 inches away from the egg and it says it is 80 lbs (about) Where better to put extra weight than on the tongue! The inside unit is under 20 lbs. And I was so shocked how quite they are. I had to get the neighbors to check it out. One of my neighbors is going to buy one for his garage (man cave) now. It was so easy to hook up even a egg head can do it.
Would I do it again? Hell ya, even the wife is happy. Better than a window unit and a roof top. Very very little noise. Less than a table top fan. I found out after the fact that you can turn on the vents to swing up and down as it blows cold air. I am just shocked no one else has done this. I did buy it at only 349.00 and it came with everything.
I will be putting a propane tank in front of the unit (just one). I am looking for a single tank bracket now. But it isnt on the top of my list to do. We are off to buy the Traffic Master Allure Ultra wood flooring next. It is 100 percent water poof and looks like wood. Then curtains then cushions, so if you can point me in the right way on that......

ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:58 AM   #44
Name: Jim
Trailer: in the market
Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit

Now that you have installed the mini-split, it's been over a year, how has it worked out? I'm working on a 16' trailer to be used for emergency communications and am considering a 13,500 btu roof type heat pump. I've installed inverter type mini-splits before and have considered it too. The spacing between your condenser and front wall concerns me, if you don't have a huge load, may not make any difference. Were you not able to find an inverter unit that ran on 120 VAC?

emptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #45
Name: JD
Trailer: Fiber Stream
AC Alternatives

Just spent a season using this locally produced AC system. Works great, no trailer modifications, and cheap compared to other approaches. This weekend (Labor Day 2014) was in the 90's where we were camping and it ran way too cold on the lowest setting. Weighs about 60 lbs and will mount on the hitch with a optional rack. When hitch mounted you can feed cold air in the front window and exhaust from the side or install a thru-wall 6" fitting low near the floor. We're really pleased- and we use it hat home in a pinch when the AC failed in our family room!
Attached Thumbnails
2portairinplacewducts.jpg   3portairreturnductdetail.jpg  

4portairsidewindowductdetail.jpg   1portairductdetails.jpg  

JD1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #46
Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp
JD1994, what's the make & model of your AC unit?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:43 AM   #47
Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13'
5000 btu fits nice in the front window when needed. When not needed stores nice under front seat. Cost is $119 at Sears and Lowes....
Attached Thumbnails
Frigidaire 5000 BTU 002.jpg  

Mike-N-Laurie is offline   Reply With Quote