Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 PM   #1

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Using a mini split a/c heat pump on your unit

For the last 3 days, I have spent hours and even talked to a a/c buddy about putting a mini split a/c system on my unit. Everything I have read about it says do it. It is cheaper than a roof top and cheaper to run. It is a easy install for anyone. I know I can not be the first to think of this! But here is my thoughts.
I am looking at this system. Amazon.com: Pioneer Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner, Heat Pump, 12000 BTU (1 Ton), 13 SEER, Cooling, Heating, Dehumidification, Ventilation. Including 13 Foot Installation Kit and Bonus Free Condenser Bracket.: Home & Kitchen
Everything about it seems to be do able. I would put the outside unit on the tongue and run the line to the top front inside. Since it is already charged I wouldn't need a a/c guy to do anything. I spent the day calling about the unit to ask why can't they be installed in a rv. Everyone agreed it could be. If the unit weight is about the same as a window unit and less cost than a roof top unit what do I have to lose.
It will cool with a 9000 to 12000 btu and heat when needed. I am looking at the 9000 one and calling for the specs I was told they have a dc inverter so no hard start ups. It is economical and quiet.
I am going to order one in the morning unless someone tells me why it wouldn't work.
Attached Thumbnails
71I060RRu2L._SL1092_.jpg  
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've thought about these and it seems like it could work. Too bad they don't make a 5000 - 6000 BTU unit.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM   #3

Florida
What is wrong with a 9000 btu system? The weight is good, the size is good. Rather have too much than not enough. I just wonder why no one else hasn't done it. I asked my a/c buddy and he said they are great but the only thing he can say that might be bad is be careful about the fittings. He said he found them to leak at times and he cuts the flares off and runs them straight. That is the only bad I came up with and since it is home owner friendly ...........
Old 04-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
What is wrong with a 9000 btu system? ...........
One downside of having too big of an AC unit is that it short cycles and doesn't do as good of a job dehumidifying. But I guess in a little trailer that is a minor concern.

I say install it and then we'll all know.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:14 PM   #5

Florida
from what I understand, it shouldn't short cycle at all. Remember it is a dc inverter system so no hard starts.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnKK View Post
from what I understand, it shouldn't short cycle at all. Remember it is a dc inverter system so no hard starts.
Short cycling means that it only runs for a short time until the temperature drops enough to have the thermostat shut it off.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Interesting. Unfortunately it costs 5 times as much and weighs 3 times as much as my AC unit. and looks like it's 3 times the size.

I think it's a reasonable approach but 12,000 btu's is a lot of cooling. Our son had a Casita 16 with the internal AC. I think it was 6-8,000 BTUs and could turn the place into a freezer.

I think it needs a bigger trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #8

Florida
No Honda, I am looking at the 9000 btu unit. Here is the one I am looking at. Amazon.com: Celiera 9000 BTU Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioner + Heat Pump - Indoor and Outdoor Units + Line Set + Installation Kit) - 110V 60Hz Single Phase: Home & Kitchen
I looked at the 1200 unit and had it open to show others. The shipping weight is only 100 and all the spec says I should be Happy Happy Happy.
It wont cost 5 times as much. If I buy a 9000 window unit the cost will be almost 200 and I would have to do some wall take downs to fit it in. This is also a heat pump. So I can take out the propane heater and have more inside space.
Does it cost more than a window unit? Yes. Will it do more? Yes. Will I have more space yes. Will it make less noise, yes. Does it cost 400 more and can I install it without taking down walls within 3 hours Yes Yes Yes. So is it worth a extra 300 more? You tell me! That is why I started this post...
Old 04-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #9

Florida
Just out of my price range and weight range.

I think the concept is excellent, separating the units makes sense and combining heating and cooling makes sense as well.

For us AC is rarely used, we generally are never in places when we need AC . Winter in Southern climes and go north in the summer.

We might feel more inclined to spend more if we lived in FL, for us FL is only an option from Oct-May. Wishing you well in your installation.

These units are relatively common in large motorhomes.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #10

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
You do realize that there are 2 parts to this system, an outside condenser unit(on your tongue) and an inside unit mounted where? I have one of these units in my house for use on a sun porch, does a good job. You have copper tubing and electrical wires running between the 2 units, the units needs to be charged with freon and evacuated by a hvac person. The inside unit is your electric heat and a/c and heat pump outlet. Twice the weight and twice the price of a room a/c.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:21 AM   #11

Florida
Of coarse I know it is a 2 part system. It comes pre charged. Even the lines are charged.
I would run the lines (3 inch hole) in thru the front by the hitch wires, straight up the inside cabinets to the top over head cabinets and install the inside part on the upper cabinets.
A 8000 window unit weight is over 50 lbs. A split system shipping weight is 100 lbs. So now were talking about 50 lbs between the two. I have 2 propane tanks on the tongue and since I wont be needing 2 tanks anymore because it is a heat pump too, I will only need one tank. There goes the extra weight!
As far as price goes, this is what turn me on to the split system. I was going to put a Fantastic Fan and a FF vent in my unit. Even with a clamping X series FF it will hang down a inch. Ouch my head. I could just remove the knob to the FF so that means I would have to by the FF with a remote which is 200 plus extra for the clamping system plus a FF with just the vent no fan (in case I ever want to install a fan motor later) So now were talking over 300 plus the cost of the window unit in which would have to be put on the floor or rebuild my closet and sitting right off the floor. Losing part of inside real estate.
I would also take out the propane heater since I wouldn't need it. So the pros out weight the cons. And the only con I can see is it cost more.As I told the wife, if we ever sell the camper the a/c system goes with me. I could put a "split" system in faster than I could put in a window unit in the closet. Read the spec and tell me if it isn't worth 640 bucks to get it to my front door.
Celiera Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioning Systems are a powerful & flexible way to efficiently cool & heat a room. Each system has two parts: an indoor unit & an outdoor unit. The indoor unit is mounted using a bracket - like a picture frame - on an exterior facing wall, then connected to the outdoor unit using a small hole drilled through the wall. Electricity is supplied via a 20 Amp Breaker (not supplied) to the Outdoor unit. The indoor unit draws its power from the outdoor unit. All Celiera units use the QUICK-INSTALL system, making installation easy. The QUICK-INSTALL system features pre-wired indoor & outdoor units, Quick-Connection terminals for connecting the two units & pre-flared/pre-flanged insulated line sets (connecting pipes). There is no welding or soldering needed and no need to charge the system, since the system comes pre-charged with premium R410 refrigerant. Complete installation kit & hardware is included, plus a manual & installation instructions. Using the QUICK-INSTALL system, setup time is cut in half. Each Celiera system is equipped with features & functions for comfort & durability including: High Efficiency SEER 13 Cooling + Heat Pump, Pre-charged with premium R410A Refrigerant, Quick-Install System - pre-wired for Easy Installation, Line set pre-flanged/pre-flared, Digital Remote Control, Smart LED Display, Sleep Mode, Digital Self Diagnostic Processor, Microprocessor Controller, Activated Carbon Filters, Full Installation Kit (15 Foot Line Set Included), Elegant, Stylish Design, Automatic Climate Control Setting, Swinging/Oscillating Louvers, Digital Timer (Auto On/Off), Auto-Restart, Anti-Corrosion Paint/Coating, LIMITED WARRANTY (1 Year Parts + 5 Year Compressor).
  • Complete System includes Indoor Unit (Evaporator), Outdoor Unit (Condenser), Insulated Copper Line Set, Wireless Remote and Complete Installation Kit
  • 9000 BTU (3/4 Ton) High Efficiency Cooling + HEAT PUMP - 110V, 60Hz, Single Phase Power, SEER 13 - Cools/Heats an area of up to 350 Square Feet
  • System is pre-charged with premium R410A refrigerant - NO ADDITIONAL CHARGING REQUIRED
  • Equipped with QUICK INSTALL system - Cuts Installation Time in Half
  • 15 FEET OF INSULATED COPPER LINE SET AND INSTALLATION KIT INCLUDED - $250 Value at NO Extra Cost
Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 AM   #12

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So you are converting your Egg to all electric? Removing the furnace means you will need hookups for heat?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:56 AM   #13

Seriously, do it. We'd love to see photos of the install and a follow up on how you like it.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #14

Florida
I already made up my mind that I will be doing it. I am just researching brands and where to buy. Sams, Costco and Amazon are my main hitters. For easy return , just in case. So I hope to have it installed Sat or Sun.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #15

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Looking forward to seeing the install and hearing a review. Keep us posted. I too would like a smaller unit, maybe with time ....
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #16

Florida
Always something, Thought I found the perfect one which as far as price goes it is but it is not a dc inverter which is a couple of hundred more. Getting one wit a DC inverter you can start and run it on a small generator no problem. I been searching and learning all day! The one I thought I was going to get is a single phase unit like one speed not like a DC inverter with variable speed. The one I was going to get is out of stock for another 2 weeks. I can get the single speed with everything I need for a install for 500. I don't think that is bad. If anyone wants to go that route let me know and I will give you the info. I will keep on searching for what I want...
Old 05-01-2013, 11:19 AM   #17

Florida
Shawn,

How much current does the 9000 btu unit draw?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #18

Florida
All depends on brand make model ect ect but 7 amp is about norm!
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #19

Florida
Shawn, Out of curiosity I looked up prices for roof mounted AC units for comparison. They seem to be more expensive than your proposed solution. Definitely your solution could look better than a roof mounted unit.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #20

Name: Cricket
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 13'
Minnesota
I can't really picture how this works. Could it be a less intrusive (drilling holes) option if you ran it in the little kitchen window? That way it could be connected and used while camping, but totally taken out when you weren't using it. Thinking I might want to use it to work in our garage during the summer too.....
Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote